Russian tourist falls to her death after night out at Walking Street

webfact

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, bushdoctor said:

Since one story buildings are not going to happen maybe people should stop being reckless and start being more careful. 

Or build better/higher balconies that cannot be "accidentally" tripped over even when pissed !!
When alcohol has taken effect careful goes out of the window (or over the balcony) 

2 hours ago, farcanell said:

Whilst there is arguably some truth in this, one must also factor in that some businesses here (lol... lots of businesses here), actively work at stripping away a persons awareness and good judgement.

much like not letting a drunk friend drive, after a raucous party you may have hosted, encouraging all to make merry.... establishments here should factor in the safety of people who have disgraced themselves by overindulging... perhaps at that very establishment.

its both responsible and good business sense

also.... these issues pertain to children as well, who have less awareness of personal safety needs, as do adults, who may take a higher level of risk management / standards ( by a hotel?), as norm

a lot of posters have already (today) pointed out the folly of the English girl cycling around Thailand, imbued with the idea that she will be safe... well, drinkers may also be imbued with that concept, as they have drunk before... then bam... oops..., stuffed that one up

so.... protect the weakest link.... in a party hard town, that would be people who have over indulged.... and as deerhunter suggests, 5 foot high barricading would do this.... and is a far better business decision than having people fall to their deaths in front of your hotel, or so I would have thought

Ahhh...but all I hear from expats here is "I came to Thailand to escape the nanny state of _______. fill in the blank...and now you want to bring nanny over for those who can't watch themselves ?

3 hours ago, farcanell said:

True, but improved building codes and enforcement of the codes, may go a long way to protect people from some of these incidents.... and this is 100% acheivable.

The hip high safety rails are just too low. They should be shoulder height.

Ive seen people leaning far over the rails trying to get "extreme selfies" at one hotel on beach road....security was yelling at them but they ignored, and by all accounts they seemed wasted. You've got to wonder.....

5 hours ago, bushdoctor said:

Since one story buildings are not going to happen maybe people should stop being reckless and start being more careful. 

Yes and maybe the police shoukd start looking at these incidents a lot closer than they do. The chances of so many slips and suicides is not normal.

A far deeper look into the causes is called for but it won't happen of course 

5 hours ago, bushdoctor said:

What about to skip and/or build-in the balconies above the 1st floor on new buildings and to install a alcometer to the balcony door lock on the existing buildings with open balconies as carefulness is not compatible with alcohol...;)

RIP!

3 hours ago, tonray said:

Ahhh...but all I hear from expats here is "I came to Thailand to escape the nanny state of _______. fill in the blank...and now you want to bring nanny over for those who can't watch themselves ?

Not at all.... I'm railing against those that say that they (unfortunates) should be responsible for their own deaths, when some simple improvements would protect drunks ( as encouraged in all thai bars) from death.... I don't think it's to much to wish for

Reap what you sow... force feed merry makers with alcohol... equates to deaths... not good for anyone... improvements can be made

in a nanny state like Australia ( australian standards referenced in this thread), a barman will be prosecuted for serving alcohol to someone who is drunk... heaven forbid that happen here... but then... death.

but... simple handrail improvement requirements would go a long way to stop deaths, and improve Thailand's reputation.

just like pm p wants

13 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Better change the law in Pattaya and construct hotels with only 1 floor above ground level!!!!!

RIP to the poor girl....

Or -- compulsory landing pads all round the hotels.

I think it is time that balconies were glassed in and locked, it is a great shame that these supposed suicides continue.

Not naming the hotel we are unable to comment as to the height of the balcony railings, nor is there any pressure on the hotel to alter them if indeed they are on the low side. I stayed in a Pattaya hotel recently up high and never even went out onto the balcony.....  always feel uncomfortable there.

14 hours ago, bushdoctor said:

"...and start being more careful."  -  of balconies, their railings and/or the company they keep!

R.I.P.

When I stayed in Bangkok at Hotels with balconys , I made it a policy to not go onto

the balony when I was drinking or was drunk. Still alive today because of that policy.

At the Nana Hotel, the 11th floor balconies were raised to above waist height,  years

ago because a bar girl fell to her death. Not sure if it was an accident or a Farang had

helped her over the balcony.

Geezer

Yeah, but. . .

Is anybody keeping a record of the number of foreigners who fall to their deaths from high-rises in Pattaya? With hardly a week going by without one of these incidents, S and G must be a candidate for the Guinness Book of Records.

23 hours ago, hobobo said:

You failed to acknowledge the source, so this is either plagiarism or copyright infringement!

you failed to acknowledge that this isnt his masters thesis, but rather an internet forum and, as such, does not require citation.

When I stayed in Bangkok at Hotels with balconys , I made it a policy to not go onto
the balony when I was drinking or was drunk. Still alive today because of that policy.
At the Nana Hotel, the 11th floor balconies were raised to above waist height,  years
ago because a bar girl fell to her death. Not sure if it was an accident or a Farang had
helped her over the balcony.
Geezer
I very seriously doubt that a dead hooker would have prompted that.

Lots of expats live in there permanently and complaining loudly about low balconies