Cafe racer Bangkok

Hello everyone, 

I'm planning to buy my first bike and would really love to have a kind of cafe racer style. I've seen a couple of projects at "ZEUS CUSTOM" which is a shop that renovates and mostly turns motorcycles into cafe racer. Since am not familiar with motorbikes, I really have a poor knowledge about what kind of bike I should first get. 

However for the moment my plan would be to buy the Stallion 250 and then make it custom at ZEUS SHOP. 
For those who has experienced this at ZEUS CUSTOM or any similar shops, I would like to know an estimate of the total cost for customizing a bike ? 
Also can anyone tell me any good dealership for Stallions bike (Brand new or secondhand) + an idea of the price

PS: The picture below is an idea of what I would like to get (Stallion 250 Customized by zeus) 

Thanks a lot 
Cheers!

Stallion 250.png

Yes, pretty bikes, but.............

My suggestion;

Rent, borrow or ride one first. Clip on h/bars are not everybody's cup of tea, and are uncomfortable at slow speed and in heavy traffic. So, unpractical in day to day riding, unless you are young and have a good back.

Those tyres are dangerous on wet roads.

My 2 Bahts worth...

• 2 weeks later...

Great little 'round the town' fun bike but probably not if you are thinking of doing any distance or touring on it. Could actually be the perfect first bike... but then selling it on is another loser unfortunately. If you couldn't give a toss on either count then go for it.

For what it's worth if you also like the modern racers I'd have to say the Suzuki GSX150 really is a hell of a starter bike for around the same kind of money (85-88,000)... selling on when it's time to move up will be a cinch! Top speed is very near to 150kph (93mph). Much luck!

dYTZCdzsBp0510140529.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

You write: "Since am not familiar with motorbikes, I really have a poor knowledge about what kind of bike I should first get."

I think the first question you should ask yourself is what will you do with that bike. Will you use it i.e. to drive to the shop around the corner for shopping? Or are you planning hour long trips? Will you use the bike in Bangkok in rush hour? Or somewhere up-country with little traffic? Will you ride alone or with a (heavy) passenger?

And depending where you life you want to make sure that you have a shop you can trust nearby to take care of your bike. There is no point of getting an exotic bike and then having no one to repair it - if necessary.

I started the topic below about riding in Bangkok and there are lots of interesting comments. Maybe read it even if you have other plans. It will give you an idea what to look for.

• 7 months later...
57 minutes ago, CGW said:

Clip ons were designed for "high" speed handling, they would be a nightmare in Bangkok traffic, you need to be sat up, not laying down on the tank! 

That is not entirely correct.

I had a Honda VFR 400 (NC30) with that style of "handlebars" and a riding position very much leaning forward.

The grips are below any car mirrors which is a big advantage.

I loved that bike and it was fun riding Bangkok including between the cars. The turn radius was not good and that made it difficult to maneuver between lanes of standing traffic. But apart from that it was fun.

An interesting part is the pillion rider: The easiest riding position is to lean forward and put her hands on the tank.

honda-vfr400-nc30-gumtree-za_4.thumb.jpg.807e3f8ec3333f0b6f51ad92450411e7.jpg

49 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

The turn radius was not good and that made it difficult to maneuver between lanes of standing traffic. But apart from that it was fun.

As I said, a nightmare in Bangkok traffic, which consists mainly of maneuvering between traffic ? you only need to make one mistake to be quite deceased ? maybe it was "fun" but too high a price to pay for me ? I rode for 8 years in Bangkok daily and always had a fear of being run over by a cement truck or the like! Reckon it would really hurt for a short time ?

maneuverability and the chance to get of the bike quickly by sitting up seemed better odds on "stayin alive" ?

14 minutes ago, CGW said:

As I said, a nightmare in Bangkok traffic, which consists mainly of maneuvering between traffic ? you only need to make one mistake to be quite deceased ? maybe it was "fun" but too high a price to pay for me ? I rode for 8 years in Bangkok daily and always had a fear of being run over by a cement truck or the like! Reckon it would really hurt for a short time ?

maneuverability and the chance to get of the bike quickly by sitting up seemed better odds on "stayin alive" ?

The good thing is the problem with that bike existed only in standing traffic. As soon as the cars moved I moved.

First gear 100km/h with 14,500RPM - pure fun.

And being part of Bangkok's traffic is always dangerous in almost any vehicle or as pedestrian.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/4/2018 at 7:00 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

The good thing is the problem with that bike existed only in standing traffic. As soon as the cars moved I moved.

First gear 100km/h with 14,500RPM - pure fun.

And being part of Bangkok's traffic is always dangerous in almost any vehicle or as pedestrian.

Oooh i've seen that bike a couple of time in Bangkok and i always wondered if it was a "sport version" of the CB400SF.

Seems it is (kind of at least) well the engine is a slightly more powerful V4, i'm sure there's tons of fun driving it around !

But i wouldn't ride it from BKK to Chiang mai, i'm already having cramps just by thinking of it ????

1 hour ago, Pepper9187 said:

Oooh i've seen that bike a couple of time in Bangkok and i always wondered if it was a "sport version" of the CB400SF.

Seems it is (kind of at least) well the engine is a slightly more powerful V4, i'm sure there's tons of fun driving it around !

But i wouldn't ride it from BKK to Chiang mai, i'm already having cramps just by thinking of it ????

It's more comfortable than you might think it is.

I am 186cm tall and I have a few kg too much and I felt comfortable on it.

But no, it's not the perfect bike for long tours.

I sold my VFR some time ago. The problem was that is was impossible to get spare parts anymore. And every time waiting four weeks for a little part is frustrating after a while. But I still think about how much fun it was. ????

I think the taller the better (for that bike), cause short arms will make you stretch all the way on the fuel tank in order to reach the grips properly.

Anyway, just realized the post was for 2017, no news from OP, we'll never know what he finally bought i guess.

Archived