Yingluck cleared over 2011 flooding

webfact

Yingluck cleared over 2011 flooding

By The Nation

95bc51d15190724b2eb3477abcca9c85.jpg

File photo: Bangkok flooding in 2011

BANGKOK: -- THE National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) yesterday has dropped a dereliction of duty charge against former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra over her handling of the major flooding in 2011, NACC president Pol General Watcharapol Prasarnrajkit said yesterday.

The NACC meeting yesterday decided that the former premier had done her best in following state procedures provided, and there was not sufficient evidence to prove that she was negligent in her duty at the time.

The flooding, Pol General Watcharapol added, was the result of natural disasters, as there were several storms smashing the country during the period, and the NACC concluded that nobody should be held responsible.

As such, it concluded that Yingluck was not guilty of being dereliction as alleged.

b061f52b34907f1ee727ecc3f2703271.jpg

File photo: Yingluck in 2011

The ongoing investigation stemmed from complaints filed with the previous NACC against the governments of Yingluck and Abhisit Vejjajiva, both of whom were accused of mismanaging water supplies and causing disastrous floods.

Abhisit’s Democrat government preceded Yingluck’s Pheu Thai administration.

The disastrous flooding in 2011 was blamed on alleged mismanagement of the country’s water supplies at different dams. Critics said the dams were holding too much water at a time when the country was hit by a series of rainstorms.

The flooding lasted more than five months and affected 65 of the country’s 77 provinces, including Bangkok. It left more than 800 people dead and damaged property worth more than Bt1.4 trillion.

Watcharapol did not yet reveal the NACC’s conclusions in the accusations against the Abhisit government. 

7a4d920f4ece24e515f2a5bdf8490854.jpg

File photo: Bangkok flooding in 2011

4000a0f1af2fcb50f6084fa351c262f8.jpg

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30326618

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-09-14

File photo: Bangkok flooding in 2011

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Abhisit’s Democrat government preceded Yingluck’s Pheu Thai administration.

I think this is the most telling line in the whole story.

Investigate the 'Reds' and ignore the 'Yellows'. 

Isn't amazing that they managed to complete the investigation of the second government, but have not completed the investigation of the one BEFORE that? And on the exact same charge?

Thai "justice" is an amazing thing...

23 minutes ago, wakeupplease said:

My God this lot where really after her weren't they. Might as well blame her for what's happened this week in the British Virgin Islands.

Give up with the brain power in some places

They didn't blame her for the floods....they blamed her for how she handled the aftermath...now they have dropped those charges.

I kinda recall many similar claims been made against other world leaders......but never heard of any of them been actually charged or even held accountable

Just now, dotpoom said:

They didn't blame her for the floods....they blamed her for how she handled the aftermath...now they have dropped those charges.

I kinda recall many similar claims been made against other world leaders......but never heard of any of them been actually charged or even held accountable

Such is life in some quarters Persecution and corruption rule

Two guys are standing around talking about how they lost their businesses in disasters but their insurance companies paid for the lossed

The first guy says " Ya I had a textile business but early on sunday morning a fire broker out and totally gutting the whole business so I retired to Thailand"

The second guy said " Wow I had a packaging business but I also had a disaster on a sunday My whole building was flooded and destroyed all the packaging materials But the insurance company said it was a write off and paid me for the entire business"

The first guy looked at the second guy for a moment completely puzzled then asked " How do you start a flood"

1 hour ago, dotpoom said:

She handled it really bad many people here lost money because of it. Had she been fair and given fair warning we were going to be flooded instead of keeping to the mantra .. no flooding no flooding. People here would have moved their cars. Now many were lost and we were flooded for 2 months. She should have shared the satellite images.. showing the water mass coming towards us so we could have seen how serious it was. They had small planes and satellite images but she never warned us. Only kept saying no flooding dont worry. This was no flash flood.. it was a slow moving water mass easy to predict if we just had the right information. But it was kept from us because of fear of losing face. 

Only reason they dropped it is because Prayut dropped the ball on the latest flooding and I doubt any of the goverment leaders made much improvements after 2011 to the flood defenses. 

Edited by robblok

18 minutes ago, robblok said:

She handled it really bad many people here lost money because of it. Had she been fair and given fair warning we were going to be flooded instead of keeping to the mantra .. no flooding no flooding. People here would have moved their cars. Now many were lost and we were flooded for 2 months. She should have shared the satellite images.. showing the water mass coming towards us so we could have seen how serious it was. They had small planes and satellite images but she never warned us. Only kept saying no flooding dont worry. This was no flash flood.. it was a slow moving water mass easy to predict if we just had the right information. But it was kept from us because of fear of losing face. 

Only reason they dropped it is because Prayut dropped the ball on the latest flooding and I doubt any of the goverment leaders made much improvements after 2011 to the flood defenses. 

Disgusting. I had to have errors & omissions coverage for that sort of thing and wasn't even a rich Prime Minister.

The fault was with Banharn Silpha Archa's party, not Yingluck, as they had overall control of the water levels in the dams. Banharn also caused problems with the flooding of China Town because he had objected to the height of the flood prevention wall along the Chaophraya in front of a house he owned because it would have blocked his riverside view. They were worried about a future drought and a backlash from farmers who supported them. One reason why the current PM wants to bring all the control for water, irrigation, drainage and flood prevention under one agency.

Edited by Estrada

Why does everybody seem to forget that her aim was to keep Bangkok dry to please the business section. That is why she built dams across many waterways on the outskirts of Bangkok to stem the water flow. That is what caused the massive flooding. The large sandbags used were made at Mor Chit railway yards. We have always had flooding in Bangkok but as it covers the city the level has always been quite manageable. If she had taken the advice from a very high source to release the water in the dams earlier in the year we would not have had these problems. So yes she should take responsibility although whether it merits a court case is another matter.

Edited by Raybangkok
To add

7 minutes ago, Estrada said:

The fault was with Banharn Silpha Archa's party, not Yingluck, as they had overall control of the water levels in the dams. Banharn also caused problems with the flooding of China Town because he had objected to the height of the flood prevention wall along the Chaophraya in front of a house he owned because it would have blocked his riverside view. They were worried about a future drought and a backlash from farmers who supported them. One reason why the current PM wants to bring all the control for water, irrigation, drainage and flood prevention under one agency.

Yes that is one of the better idea's of the PM maybe things will get better. I won't hold my breath.

I wonder how much YL.. and Prayut have done about flooding after 2011... I doubt it was much. 

If the Government Bureaucrats hadn't been so busy politicking and kissing up to the new government they would have been paying attention to the weather and the amount of water that was being stored in the reservoirs up North of Ayutthaya, Nonthaburi, Samut Prakan, Samut Sakhon, Samut Songkhram, Nakhon Pathom, Ratchaburi, Pathum Thani and Bangkok. They let them get too full and then had to release very large volumes of water on top of the very heavy rain storms that hit one after another that fall (yes, there were a lot of Tropical storms that raced across Thailand after they crossed Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia. It had nothing to do with Yingluck and everything to do with the political mess Thailand has been in since the early 2000's when Shinawatra was elected to his second term. IMO! 

4 minutes ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

If the Government Bureaucrats hadn't been so busy politicking and kissing up to the new government they would have been paying attention to the weather and the amount of water that was being stored in the reservoirs up North of Ayutthaya, Nonthaburi, Samut Prakan, Samut Sakhon, Samut Songkhram, Nakhon Pathom, Ratchaburi, Pathum Thani and Bangkok. They let them get too full and then had to release very large volumes of water on top of the very heavy rain storms that hit one after another that fall (yes, there were a lot of Tropical storms that raced across Thailand after they crossed Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia. It had nothing to do with Yingluck and everything to do with the political mess Thailand has been in since the early 2000's when Shinawatra was elected to his second term. IMO! 

Government bureaucrats were ordered not to release the water by people in the YL government. 

22 minutes ago, robblok said:

Government bureaucrats were ordered not to release the water by people in the YL government. 

Robblok, you just won't give up on this one will you?  I have given you plenty of evidence t the contrary a long time ago when this was being hashed out on TVF.  In this current decision, you have a body that is hostile to the Yingluck government who exonerates her as it was a 'natural disaster'.  You just can't accept the fact that nature is a powerful and unrelenting force that is far stronger than any government or politician.  Shit happens!

1 minute ago, pookiki said:

Robblok, you just won't give up on this one will you?  I have given you plenty of evidence t the contrary a long time ago when this was being hashed out on TVF.  In this current decision, you have a body that is hostile to the Yingluck government who exonerates her as it was a 'natural disaster'.  You just can't accept the fact that nature is a powerful and unrelenting force that is far stronger than any government or politician.  Shit happens!

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/aec/30169695

Agriculture Minister Theera Wongsamut yesterday acknowledged that the controversial decision to delay the release of water from the country's major dams had been made by the government.

“I admit ordering a delay in the release of water into the plains areas so that farmers could harvest their crops first,” he said.

Just now, robblok said:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/aec/30169695

Agriculture Minister Theera Wongsamut yesterday acknowledged that the controversial decision to delay the release of water from the country's major dams had been made by the government.

“I admit ordering a delay in the release of water into the plains areas so that farmers could harvest their crops first,” he said.

But there is no direct evidence that this  caused the flooding!   And I gave you evidence to support that.  Get over it already!

Just now, pookiki said:

But there is no direct evidence that this  caused the flooding!   And I gave you evidence to support that.  Get over it already!

O dear.. i give you prove and everyone know it made the flooding worse.. it did not cause it made it worse.. get over it already that you lost.

Your have no clue about the flooding... you have to understand.. in October september we have the highest tides in Thailand... that means the lowest draining capacity there is. If you have ever been to Ayuttaya.. you will see the river flow upstream at times..that is how much the tides influence drainage.. now because of the late release EXTRA water came at the worst possible time when drainage was at its lowest because of the seasonal high tides. So its true that this made it worse. 

It caused extra hardship.. made it extra bad.. but no it did not cause it.. just made it a lot worse. 

Just now, robblok said:

O dear.. i give you prove and everyone know it made the flooding worse.. it did not cause it made it worse.. get over it already that you lost.

Your have no clue about the flooding... you have to understand.. in October september we have the highest tides in Thailand... that means the lowest draining capacity there is. If you have ever been to Ayuttaya.. you will see the river flow upstream at times..that is how much the tides influence drainage.. now because of the late release EXTRA water came at the worst possible time when drainage was at its lowest because of the seasonal high tides. So its true that this made it worse. 

It caused extra hardship.. made it extra bad.. but no it did not cause it.. just made it a lot worse. 

I've listened to all this 'whine' before.  Get some cheese to go with it.  You won't accept any plausible and rational views other than your own.   Take care, brother.  I'm sure you will have many more floods to whine about.

Just now, pookiki said:

I've listened to all this 'whine' before.  Get some cheese to go with it.  You won't accept any plausible and rational views other than your own.   Take care, brother.  I'm sure you will have many more floods to whine about.

You cant accept science and facts... 

EXTRA water at time of lowest draining.. I can't believe your that..........

Must be bias in your views other people can work it out.

Make a model do a little bit of an experiment and ad extra water to a flooding.. does it get better or worse then.. then do this when draining is at its lowest.. while earlier the water could have been handled.

You take care.. logic and science are obviously not your strong suit. 

by the writings of the people here, it is obvious there should have been a court case that would have high lighted all the problems encountered, and what actions should have been taken to help the situation as much as posable, and of course lay down a set of procedures to follow for the future. ( this same thing happened in Australia mostly caused by not releasing water from dams soon enough)

1 hour ago, robblok said:

You cant accept science and facts... 

EXTRA water at time of lowest draining.. I can't believe your that..........

Must be bias in your views other people can work it out.

Make a model do a little bit of an experiment and ad extra water to a flooding.. does it get better or worse then.. then do this when draining is at its lowest.. while earlier the water could have been handled.

You take care.. logic and science are obviously not your strong suit. 

http://web.stanford.edu/~meehan/floodthai2011/FloodNotes17.pdf

I provided you this a long, long time ago.  You continue to ignore its contents and findings. For the benefit of other TVF readers the writer of this report reached the same conclusions as the NACC.   Research is certainly not your strong suit when you don't have science and logic on your side. 

2 hours ago, robblok said:

You must have been the only guy who did not know a flood was coming to Bangkok. 

https://www.yahoo.com/news/beyond-nyc-other-places-adapting-climate-too-105538665.html

9 minutes ago, funandsuninbangkok said:

You must have been the only guy who did not know a flood was coming to Bangkok. 

https://www.yahoo.com/news/beyond-nyc-other-places-adapting-climate-too-105538665.html

You were not there.. she said no flooding.. especially not in places that had not been flooded in 50 years.. never had a flooding in this village above BKK..  only in 2011. She kept handing out false information to safe her pretty face. Had she not done that the damage in this village and many others would have been far less. 

Remember she had satellite images and small planes to observe the water mass moving. We only had her words to trust as we never been flooded here in living memory.. So not so strange to trust someone then. Had she shared the information she had we would have taken more precautions. Many people would not have lost their cars. You should have heard the anti YL sentiment in this village at that point. Normally they were quite happy with her.

24 minutes ago, pookiki said:

http://web.stanford.edu/~meehan/floodthai2011/FloodNotes17.pdf

I provided you this a long, long time ago.  You continue to ignore its contents and findings. For the benefit of other TVF readers the writer of this report reached the same conclusions as the NACC.   Research is certainly not your strong suit when you don't have science and logic on your side. 

Yes and in there it has my arguments backed up by Bloomberg and your arguments.. both. They are all saying a few inches could have made the difference.. those are the few inches released from those dams that were ordered not to release before. Guess your article supports my views too.