Navy receives 4 new patrol boats

Rimmer

Navy receives 4 new patrol boats

image.png

PATTAYA:--The Sattahip Naval Base took delivery of four additional patrol boats.

Navy commander-in-chief Adm. Na Areenij presided over the Sept. 6 ceremony to accept the T 261 watercraft, the second delivery in nine months.

The navy had received an allocation to add 20 patrol craft to the Sattahip base.

The new patrol boats are fully equipped with a variety facilities and arms. They feature some of the latest tracking technology and can also be used in combat and rescue missions.

Each boat weighs 45 tons, measures 21.4 meters long and 5. 6 meters wide. They transport up to nine crewmembers and have a top speed of 15 knots.

Armaments include 20mm, 50-inch and 80mm guns.

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2017-09-15

1 hour ago, craigrosier said:

They seem a bit small to mount a 50" gun. The Yamato only had 18.1" guns (formerly the largest deployed by a battleship) :)

Which accounts for the limited speed of 15 knots. The weight of the big gun must be horrendous.:smile:

Edited by PETERTHEEATER

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

A bit slow if they only do 15 knots but there are now 4 happy commanders?

And all the underpaid nurses will chase them for a night out.

Btw. the one I served on in the navy made 43 knots = 79 km/h maybe that's why we called them 'fast patrol boats'.

1 hour ago, craigrosier said:

They seem a bit small to mount a 50" gun. The Yamato only had 18.1" guns (formerly the largest deployed by a battleship) :)

Quite .. And not only does 50" sound rather large 80 mm also sounds a bit excessive for a fairly small craft .. 

Money for guns  Money for Tanks Money for subs Money for Boats Money for 4000 extra soldiers  No money for schools No money for hospitals No money for Roads No Money to give teachers pay rise No money to get extra nurses  Why am i saying anything The Thais just accept this as normal

4 minutes ago, Happyman58 said:

Money for guns  Money for Tanks Money for subs Money for Boats Money for 4000 extra soldiers  No money for schools No money for hospitals No money for Roads No Money to give teachers pay rise No money to get extra nurses  Why am i saying anything The Thais just accept this as norma

Doesn't Thailand have one of the highest education budgets per student in the world?  Maybe they pay the teachers too much?

Just now, amvet said:

Doesn't Thailand have one of the highest education budgets per student in the world?  Maybe they pay the teachers too much?

Just now, amvet said:

Just now, amvet said:

I have Thai teacher friends Pay per month  15,000-20,000 per month You think that is great Try living on that if you have a family

1 minute ago, amvet said:

Why do members bother posting this type of stuff?

Really, try to study up on things before posting lest you feed into the

saying of "best to keep you mouth shut and be thought a fool, rather than open it and be proven one"

5 minutes ago, kaorop said:

Why do members bother posting this type of stuff?

Really, try to study up on things before posting lest you feed into the

saying of "best to keep you mouth shut and be thought a fool, rather than open it and be proven one"

Thailand's educational spending highest in the world
By Digital Content
BANGKOK, Jan 9 – Thailand’s spending on education, representing 4 per cent of gross domestic product or 20 per cent of the national budget, is the highest in the world, according to research findings by Mahidol University.

Did you really write, "Really, try to study up on things before posting lest you feed into the

Edited by amvet

12 minutes ago, Happyman58 said:

Money for guns  Money for Tanks Money for subs Money for Boats Money for 4000 extra soldiers  No money for schools No money for hospitals No money for Roads No Money to give teachers pay rise No money to get extra nurses  Why am i saying anything The Thais just accept this as normal

for people in the military with no pressure to perform its all money for nothing and such a nice way to feather the nest, which of course allows them to afford the best schools, the best health care, the best cars, etc etc

beside the fact that they just dont GAF about anyone outside their tiny sphere.

2 minutes ago, amvet said:

By Digital Content
BANGKOK, Jan 9 – Thailand’s spending on education, representing 4 per cent of gross domestic product or 20 per cent of the national budget, is the highest in the world, according to research findings by Mahidol University.

Did you really write, "Really, try to study up on things before posting lest you feed into the

what have you proved?

in this thread about military spending

but please continue with your off topic rant because you got called out and your ego cant handle it.

4 minutes ago, amvet said:

By Digital Content

Ok u may be right The money is prob allocated to the education budget  But it has to pass the so called  People in high places who have there so called snouts in the trough And believe me there are many

1 minute ago, kaorop said:

what have you proved?

in this thread about military spending

but please continue with your off topic rant because you got called out and your ego cant handle it.

I believe you posted, " No money for schools No money for hospitals No money for Roads No Money to give teachers pay rise No money to get extra nurses  Why am i saying anything The Thais just accept this as normal"  

None of the above is about military spending.  I think pot calling the kettle black is the appropriate comment. 

2 minutes ago, Happyman58 said:

Ok u may be right The money is prob allocated to the education budget  But it has to pass the so called  People in high places who have there so called snouts in the trough And believe me there are many

You may be on to something there.  Plenty of money to buy boats.  I don't think that is where the problem is.  How is the boat budget?  I'll bet it's not as high as most other countries in the area.  But that would be on topic to check things like that. 

4 minutes ago, realenglish1 said:

Ok but who made the boats  We want to know what country

In the past they bought patrol boats from Cheoy Lee Shipyard in Hong Kong.  I've bought 3 yachts from them.  Darn fine builders for many years. 

43 minutes ago, kaorop said:

Thanks for continuing, it was entirely predictable, 

and I would have been disappointment if you didnt

I'm not going to point out your misunderstandings, its to entertaining

So.....

No misunderstanding.  You pointed out that Thai military and education budget priorities are improper.  I said the budget for education is higher than it needs to be and that's not where the problem is.  If you want to discuss budgets for different Thai government departments you should have some knowledge of those numbers.  BTW you brought up the education budget I was just being polite to respond to you about it.

Edited by amvet

5 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

A bit slow if they only do 15 knots but there are now 4 happy commanders?

http://www.marsun.th.com/product-detail.php?cid=4&id=11

I don't think one can expect too much accuracy from Pattaya mail.  The top speed is 31+ knots.  See the above specs.  All things considered it did take me 5 minutes and google on my smart phone to find out the accurate speed a bit much for a Pattaya journalist.   

Edited by amvet

Not 50"  but more like .50 caliber (12.7mm)  South African boats:

Class and type: Patrol boat
Displacement: 36 long tons (37 t)
Length: 22 m (72.2 ft)
Beam: 7 m (23.0 ft)
Draught: 0.9 m (3.0 ft)
Installed power: 2,000 hp (1,500 kW)
Propulsion: 2 ADE 444 Tl 12V diesels; 2 Hamilton water-jets
Speed: 32 knots (59 km/h; 37 mph)
Range: 530 nmi (980 km; 610 mi) at 22 kn (41 km/h; 25 mph)
Capacity: 16 (1 officer)
Sensors and
processing systems:
Surface search radar : Racal-Decca I-band
Armament: 1 × 12.7 mm (0.50 in) Browning machine gun