Sharp tax hike on alcohol and tobacco effective immediately

rooster59

13 hours ago, lonewolf99 said:

It could make the place go like India where the locals try to make their own hooch and blind themselves or die as well....

Without figuring out things as I am too lazy, you are exactly right.  Particularly in the rural areas they will be making their own at dangerously high alcohol content and create a bigger problem for the rural poor.

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, marino28 said:

I don't know how much was yesterday. But now at whishbeer 1 box of Leo is 805 thb + Vat

So it is net 33,54 Baht per bottle.
With VAT 35,89 per bottle.
In the gastronomic calculation one beats so 100-200% on it.
So it is something between 71,78 - 107,67 for a small bottle Leo in a bar.
In the trade calculation one is satisfied with low margins as far as the quantities are ok.

Edited by tomacht8

4 hours ago, robblok said:

Here the real increase in Baht has been mentioned in several newsmedia now.

000increase.JPG

Those above are the amounts in baht that the Excise Department says the taxes are changing for those various items. That's NOT necessarily the same as what any particular stores/retailers may decide to adjust their prices by.

13 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

So it is net 33,54 Baht per bottle.
With VAT 35,89 per bottle.
In the gastronomic calculation one beats so 100-200% on it.
So it is something between 71,78 - 107,67 for a small bottle Leo in a bar.
In the trade calculation one is satisfied with low margins as far as the quantities are ok.

At whishbeer now is 805 thb for box of 12 62cc or 990 thb for box of 24 32cc plus vat. If the price is correct than is 41.25 thb for one small leo + Vat. Almost 45 thb .           

Edited by marino28

5 minutes ago, marino28 said:

At whishbeer now is 805 thb for box of 12 62cc or 990 thb for box of 24 32cc plus vat. If the price is correct than is 41.25 thb for one small leo + Vat. Almost 45 thb .           

I thought the 805 Baht price was for a box 24 Bottles of small Leo (before VAT)
990 for a Box of small Leo (24 Bottles in a box) before VAT?
Holy crap.
That is sharp then.

Edited by tomacht8

2 hours ago, HHTel said:

Why is everyone overworking their brains trying to work out the increases?  It's already published and reported more than once on this forum.  50 satang on a can of beer, 2 baht 66 on a bottle etc etc

cause we cant be bothered to read all the inane worthless comments from members who have nothing productive to contribute lol!!! :)

6 minutes ago, Simons3 said:

cause we cant be bothered to read all the inane worthless comments from members who have nothing productive to contribute lol!!! :)

Super that you are the expert.
Can you please tell me what a small bottle Leo will cost at 7/11 in the future ?.

Edited by tomacht8

7 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

I thought the 805 Baht price was for a box 24 Bottles of small Leo (before VAT)
990 for a Box of small Leo (24 Bottles in a box) before VAT?
Holy crap.
That is sharp then.

yes sorry in my first post I was not precise , anyway I think is too sharp as well. Hope is a mistake . I don't know .

4 minutes ago, marino28 said:

yes sorry in my first post I was not precise , anyway I think is too sharp as well. Hope is a mistake . I don't know .

I don't usually shop at Wishbeer for Leo brand beers... :sick:

But if helps any, as of Sat. afternoon, Tesco was still selling small bottles of Leo beer for 34 baht per, which probably is a pretty good reference price pre-tax increase.

6 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I don't usually shop at Wishbeer for Leo brand beers... :sick:

But if helps any, as of Sat. afternoon, Tesco was still selling small bottles of Leo beer for 34 baht per, which probably is a pretty good reference price pre-tax increase.

I am sure that the big chains also calculate something on extra.
Tomorrow, we will also recognize our prices, if there is something more clear about the new purchase prices.
24 * 2,66 is 63,84 Baht per Box 24 Bottles.
The base is, of course, also a lever for the VAT.

4 hours ago, anto said:

I am the last person to believe marketing .Its the smell and taste and the fact they import the grain from Germany and brew to the German purity laws .Its 5 % by the way ( unless they are lying on their bottle label ) which is more than enough for me .

If you think federbrau is "premium" then you are not qualified to talk about beer lol

Anyway a 66cc of beer at 5% will have 14.19thb of tax for alcohol . Old scheme 3.3 thb.  So around 11 thb of difference regarding the alcol content. Than the old scheme tax 60% of the production price and the new one 22% of the selling price . Since I don't know the production price i cannot calculate this part 
And if you can't do you most bar owners will be able to. I imagine they will be putting the price up even more then they have to.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Get Real said:

Probably because weed is a drug that is prohibited in more countries than beer is. That thought ever crossed your mind?

But what didn't crossed your mind is that weed will be legalized soon in most civilized countries for sure. And it is already in so many !

One could assume this is some morality drive  by the powers in charge and they are making large "sin" tax increases in an attempt to discourage such behaviors.  Or one could assume the powers that be are just  being greedy and trying to extract as much money as possible. Or one could assume the powers in charge need more money to help out the country's budget and treasury that they have been raiding.  One really doesn't know, since I doubt there is much transparency or oversight of the country's economy or treasury or tax revenues.  Either way or in other ways I didn't bother to come up with, it is hard to see how this will encourage tourism, or foreign retirees.

7 hours ago, anto said:

I just bought a bottle of premium beer .a large bottle of Federbrau for B63 at Tesco /Lotus express .I am expecting the price to be B61 by Monday .The Nation newspaper explained the increase per bottle .Premium beer is going down B2 a bottle according to them .

Ok! Have been ripped off anyway. :cheesy:

19 minutes ago, bleble said:

But what didn't crossed your mind is that weed will be legalized soon in most civilized countries for sure. And it is already in so many !

Nope, it won´t! That is just a dream from everyone that are positive to a wider variaty of drugs.

12 hours ago, KMA said:

I am in czech rep right now and a great glass of Czech pilsner is around 20BHT!! A glass of wine is about 25BHT. Thais have once again put another nail in the tourist coffin. No one from the west wants to pay 5X more for <deleted> thai lager beer! Idiotic

Only a few lake beaches there.. And you get 4 seasons with snow in the winter

This from the UK's Daily Telegraph, they list costs in Phuket as rising 17% in the last year, also:

At the other end of the scale, Rio de Janeiro in Brazil was deemed the most expensive long-haul destination, with the Post Office’s basket of items costing more than three times more than in Tokyo. Jumeirah Beach, Dubai, was deemed second dearest, followed by China Town in Singapore.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/the-cheapest-long-haul-winter-sun-destination-revealed/

17 hours ago, jvs said:

So what will be the increase per bottle of beer?I guess that is what a lot of people would like to know.

It will not last long anyway,as soon as they find out this increase will actually make them less money they will revoke this real fast.

The wine tax only effects the rich and tourists wanting a nice wine, and pisses off local expats who have to drink vinegar.

If the beer price causes sales drops to the big breweries then I agree they will revoke it.

9 hours ago, Get Real said:

OK UK? I guess this is Thailand. But please, for everybodys sake. By all means, explain how 7-11 can stand out and no have to take part. Is that in your eyes a company that do not have to participate?

Bar owners'll probably just slip in their own rise at the same time as the tax rise, then blame the tax rise for all of it, probably round-up the 2 Baht tax rise from 87 to 90, where the original price was 85. 

9 hours ago, Get Real said:

Right on, dude!

Can't remember the last time I had a beer in the fridge as I never drink in the house, at home I would rather have a cup of tea.

Seems strange to me to see people going on about shop prices and case prices, in my mind drinking is a social event for pubs, bars restaurants etc.