Sharp tax hike on alcohol and tobacco effective immediately

rooster59

12 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

14 hours ago, sawadeeken said:

Even 'farangs' know a 'cheap charlie' when we see one............. 

A jewish friend of mine a few years back (not any longer) used to go with me for drinks and 'cop a feel' of a few ladies....... He would carry a bottle of drinking water in his pocket and upon entering the bar put it on the table.......... When asked what he wanted to drink.... He said..... I have my water, thanks...... and he never bought a drink (and certainly no lady drinks)........... But he would grab a lady and get a 'free' feel every chance he got...... A few days of that was enough for me........ LOL........

If you can't pay the bus fare...... Walk...........

These Thai girls with their lovely bodies, are not here offering  'free rides'....... They come from poor families...... Otherwise they would be in some 'University' and 'YOU' would never meet her.......

Have the graciousness you help them on occasions....... It is not an easy job they have........ There are a few 'sharks' out there...... sure...... but if your eyes are open you will see them...... But even with these 'sharks' more of the proceeds make it to the poor than you find in your home country charities (whose CEO and excutives bleed off the top 90%)........

Are there any 'charitable farangs' here or are they all out to squeeze all the baht out of a 20 baht bill as they can.........

As a poster in another thread said.............. "If the shoe fits.... wear it".............

you should know that you sound like a bar owner….understandable.

I am just a 'almost Expat', half time here and half in the US (30 years)...... Never owned but drank a lot in them and I have seen so many 'cheap Charlies' who same as you won't buy lady drinks but like any benefits they can sneak from the girls........  But I can agree with bar owners and 'working girls' about the 'cheap Charlies'

If you don't pay the bus fare you ain't gonna ride the bus........... LOL...........

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, The manic said:

No it is not. Good news for Muslims and puritans maybe.

I am neither a Muslim nor a puritan. I do enjoy a glass of wine and/or some Cognac from time time. However, I do think the tax increases are correct. There is no need, i.e. it is not essential, to smoke or drink alcohol. If we wish to do so, we have to pay and let us hope that the additional tax collected will be used to make essentials(foods, medicines and the like) cheaper. Let's take the Scandinavian countries as an example. Luxuries, particularly damaging luxuries like cigarettes and alcohol, are extremely expensive (tax) and essentials like bread, eggs etc, are cheap. This in my view, is a socially correct policy.

Besides the tax increase the mom and pop shops supposedly will take a hard extreme hit on license to sell. So the mom and pops shops have to recoup the increase. This is more than an increase but a full out assault and slap at Thailand and the Thai people who struggle to survive. The elite are hypocrites and racist against foreigners and their own people. So what else is new? Nothing, business and strangle hold for the military government as usual.
Okay I take the additional point of an extra hike in license fees but they have to cover it throughout the shop goods or they will just go out of business surely. To add to that when does this new fee come into play, not yet so why would it go onto the prices just yet?
Same throughout the western world as well in this scenario, who now uses the local shops unless absolutely necessary. Everybody goes to the chains to get their goods at far reduced prices and corner stores have been hit for years

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, sawadeeken said:

I am just a 'almost Expat', half time here and half in the US (30 years)...... Never owned but drank a lot in them and I have seen so many 'cheap Charlies' who same as you won't buy lady drinks but like any benefits they can sneak from the girls........  But I can agree with bar owners and 'working girls' about the 'cheap Charlies'

If you don't pay the bus fare you ain't gonna ride the bus........... LOL...........

I do agree with your views. However, why mention your friend's religion (with its implications)? Would you have mentioned the religion of your friend had he been a Roman Catholic, or Protestant, or Buddhist?

What a mess !

Yesterday evening I went to my 7-eleven and what I noticed:

- L&M cigarettes raised from 86 to 87 bahts

- beer cans: same price

- beer bottle: + 2 bahts

- Samsung bottle: same price 302 bahts

What's hapening ?

- that increase is minor ?

- all 7-eleven didn"t apply the new prices ?

- shops are waiting to refill their stock to apply the new prices ? (previously all increases have been applied day 1)

5 minutes ago, abrahamzvi said:

I do agree with your views. However, why mention your friend's religion (with its implications)? Would you have mentioned the religion of your friend had he been a Roman Catholic, or Protestant, or Buddhist?

I get your point and I only think of him in my own mind in 'that way'.......... 

I apologize............... 

I have many, many other friends of the same religion as him and don't label them.... Only that guy..... My mistake......... 

Your point well taken..............

1 hour ago, holy cow cm said:

Besides the tax increase the mom and pop shops supposedly will take a hard extreme hit on license to sell. So the mom and pops shops have to recoup the increase. This is more than an increase but a full out assault and slap at Thailand and the Thai people who struggle to survive. The elite are hypocrites and racist against foreigners and their own people. So what else is new? Nothing, business and strangle hold for the military government as usual.

The licence fee to sell booze is around 2,000 baht a year at present. To increase that to 50,000 baht a year is insanity and a death knell for those hundreds of thousands of small to very small local stores all over Thailand.  

8 minutes ago, JRUSA said:

I just got back from a quick trip to mini Mart.. beer prices haven't changed

I've only seen a minor change in my 7-eleven yesterday: +1 baht for packs of L&M cigarettes and for alcohol I think +2 bahts for bottles of beer (same price for beer cans and Sangsom bottle still at 302 bahts).

I've also checked today Tesco and BigC online, beer & Sangsom are still at the same price.

What's hapening ?

Mainly out of curiosity, and to check and see how the government's story jibes with reality, I checked beer prices online this afternoon at both Tesco and Tops Online.  Thus far today, no changes at all from yesterday for the various beers I'm tracking at those stores. But this being Sunday, those who would implement these kinds of price changes probably aren't at work.

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

But this being Sunday, those who would implement these kinds of price changes probably aren't at work.

Yes but officials said the new prices will be effective yesterday the 16th. And sunday or not, Tesco or Tops can't loose money only because that's the week end.

And last, all previous raise of price have been applied day 1, not 2 or 3 days later.

2 minutes ago, Spellforce said:

I've only seen a minor change in my 7-eleven yesterday: +1 baht for packs of L&M cigarettes and for alcohol I think +2 bahts for bottles of beer (same price for beer cans and Sangsom bottle still at 302 bahts).

I've also checked today Tesco and BigC online, beer & Sangsom are still at the same price.

What's hapening ?

If I were guessing, I'd guess that 7/11 would be quicker to implement any price changes than the big supermarkets like Tops, Tesco etc. -- if for no other reason, than that 7/11 doesn't have to worry about updating an online shopping website for alcoholic beverages, since that niche is not part of their business.

8 minutes ago, Spellforce said:

What a mess !

Yesterday evening I went to my 7-eleven and what I noticed:

- L&M cigarettes raised from 86 to 87 bahts

- beer cans: same price

- beer bottle: + 2 bahts

- Samsung bottle: same price 302 bahts

What's hapening ?

- that increase is minor ?

- all 7-eleven didn"t apply the new prices ?

- shops are waiting to refill their stock to apply the new prices ? (previously all increases have been applied day 1)

Just got back from the local store from which I buy fags and Mont Clair wine boxes.

Prices the same as they still have old supplies in stock, so I asked how much the cost of the wine boxes will increase as a result of the new taxes.  He didn't know either....

As you say, a complete mess.

1 minute ago, Spellforce said:

Yes but officials said the new prices will be effective yesterday the 16th. And sunday or not, Tesco or Tops can't loose money only because that's the week end.

And last, all previous raise of price have been applied day 1, not 2 or 3 days later.

Well, potentially, there's also the issue that those big retailers have ALREADY presumably paid the required (old rate) taxes on their current inventory, and would only be charged the higher rates on their NEW stocks from this weekend forward. So that may be another reason for the price changes not popping up immediately at the retail level.

It's just a game of wait and see until things begin to shake out...

Just now, dick dasterdly said:

Prices the same as they still have old supplies in stock, so I asked how much the cost of the wine boxes will increase as a result of the new taxes.  He didn't know either....

As you say, a complete mess.

Previously all increased were apply day one and everywhere.

Now would they wait that shops are refilling their stock to apply the new taxes ?

Would it be a way to not shock the thai population (not raise the prices in one day) and prevent the gouvernement to be unpopular ?

I just hope that's not the case.

I remember well that this new tax project (from 4-5 months ago), it was just a move from the taxes paid from the importer / thai factories to the sellers (7-eleven, big c etc...) and that the consumers wont barely see any change.

Edited by Spellforce

"It's for health reasons".

So the alcoholic drink recommended by my doctor to the wife and I for high cholesterol (red wine )receives the  biggest tax increase.

The most dangerous, modified diesel fuel (Lao Khao) gets the smallest.

Since most Thai drinkers I know will drink more LK and less beer if beer gets too expensive and never drink wine at all, I suspect I know the targets of this tax increase.

Those of us that live here will have to make do with whatever is imposed.

Tourists are a different matter. I am hearing glowing reports about Vietnam.

Apparently some areas have massive influxes of Russians.

Raising "sin taxes" will have one inevitable outcome. It will drive away the "sinners".

I doubt there are enough high spending Chinese or top end tourists to substitute. And I assume even those will start heading to cheaper, cleaner places.

There are multiple places globally that can now offer what Thailand used to, cheap, safe, clean holidays.

But for western tourists, it is still a long flight. And flying the same amount of time can usually lead to somewhere that is at least equivalent to a Thai vacation. If it becomes considerably less expensive that will be their choice.

Not very clever of the Government regarding alcohol.  All that will happen is home brews for beer, spirits and wine will start springing up all over the place.  Which of course will be completely unregulated.  Maybe they are short of loose change to buy the Sub and buy a replacement for the awe inspiring Surveillance Ballon?

6 minutes ago, CH1961 said:

.. picture or it does not happen :-)

So, take a look ..

As I and 2 other members just wrote today, the retail price of beer cans have not changed (Retails Shops: 7-eleven, mini Marts + Online: Tesco, Tops, Big C).

Sangsom bottle also still at the same price.

But... bottle's beer +2 bahts & L&M cigarettes +1 baht

Edited by Spellforce

Guest Jerry787

I dont understand why not increase more price of whiskey and sugar drinks, sugar drinks are costing billions to health care for causing obesity, diabetes, and much more diseases, scare coke and pepsi will get upset at the excise and finance ministry ?

21 minutes ago, JAG said:

I used to like a glass of red "vino collapso" with my supper when I lived in the UK.
I haven't bothered at all with wine here. What is the score with this "Mont Clair" stuff, is it drinkable?

As a "vino collapso" it's fine.

1 hour ago, sawadeeken said:

so if someone doesn't buy an exorbitant LD and tequilas for all these useless hos playing on there phones, that means they still want to feel them up?

how do you make such  free spirited leaps of thought?