What a mess !

Yesterday evening I went to my 7-eleven and what I noticed:

- L&M cigarettes raised from 86 to 87 bahts

- beer cans: same price

- beer bottle: + 2 bahts

- Samsung bottle: same price 302 bahts

What's hapening ?

- that increase is minor ?

- all 7-eleven didn"t apply the new prices ?

- shops are waiting to refill their stock to apply the new prices ? (previously all increases have been applied day 1)

They can only apply the price increase on new stock, old stock should be sold at pre tax increase price.

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, B4Jazz said:

They can only apply the price increase on new stock, old stock should be sold at pre tax increase price.

Who is to know ?My local Tesco /Lotus has been good so far and not increased up to early this morning at least .

13 hours ago, AloisAmrein said:

Does Prayuth turn Thailand in an Islamic country? Or the government just wants to fill his pockets? Price of beer is worst in Malaysia, up to 14 Ringit for a 0.5 liter can in a bottle shop, in restaurants more expensive. Second is Indonesia, a large bottle of Bitang is often more expensive then the whole meal. The beer in the Philippines is not drinkable, you better drink mineral water.

In most countries of Europe beer has about the same  price like mineral water.

Sorry but San Miguel in Manila tasted as good as San Miguel here..your generalized comments are uneducated drival... I lived in Vietnam also..bar beer was not 10 baht.. Tiger for example was about 85 to 100 baht

7 minutes ago, JRUSA said:

Sorry but San Miguel in Manila tasted as good as San Miguel here..your generalized comments are uneducated drival... I lived in Vietnam also..bar beer was not 10 baht.. Tiger for example was about 85 to 100 baht

while I agree with you san miguel is a decent beer, and when in manila, which is often these days i quite enjoy it, i would suggest that if you are going to accuse somone of spouting "uneducated drival" (sic), you should learn to spell drivel correctly.

2 minutes ago, HooHaa said:

while I agree with you san miguel is a decent beer, and when in manila, which is often these days i quite enjoy it, i would suggest that if you are going to accuse somone of spouting "uneducated drival" (sic), you should learn to spell drivel correctly.

I'll advise my keyboard and disabled hands..

Thanks..

4 hours ago, xylophone said:

The correct interpretation of them, but perhaps that will be an impossibility given the fact that laws and suchlike here are often open to the interpretation of those who wish to use them to their advantage, or are put together by those folks with the mental capacity of a gnat.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30326861

The above link has already been posted and quotes Director General of Excise Department:  Seems pretty official to me!

There are other publications that repeat those prices and name their source as The Excise Department.

These are the tax figures.  How they are moved through to the retailers is down to the retailers.  They will vary between retailers depending on what the market will take.

Edited by HHTel
Addition

6 minutes ago, HHTel said:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30326861

The above link has already been posted and quotes Director General of Excise Department:  Seems pretty official to me!

There are other publications that repeat those prices and name their source as The Excise Department.

These are the tax figures.  How they are moved through to the retailers is down to the retailers.  They will vary between retailers depending on what the market will take.

We shall know when we see...........still doesn't change my opinion: "The correct interpretation of them, but perhaps that will be an impossibility given the fact that laws and suchlike here are often open to the interpretation of those who wish to use them to their advantage, or are put together by those folks with the mental capacity of a gnat.

19 minutes ago, JRUSA said:

Tiger is not a Vietnamese beer, so a bit of a pomtless comparison. Be about 6 or 7 years since I was there and there were at least 6 different local beers, some very cheap some not so but all drinkable. The north is supposedto have betterprices and choice.

4 minutes ago, xylophone said:

We shall know when we see...........still doesn't change my opinion: "The correct interpretation of them, but perhaps that will be an impossibility given the fact that laws and suchlike here are often open to the interpretation of those who wish to use them to their advantage, or are put together by those folks with the mental capacity of a gnat.

Okay.    Tax will be levied accordingly based on manufacturers recommended retail.  That needs no interpretation.  Retailers on the other hand will charge whatever they can get away with.  There are no rules governing the prices they can sell at.

I'll leave it at that.

10 hours ago, anto said:

I only buy the 4 or 5 lt box of Wine here .Which i could get for just under B1000  . I guess that will be slapped with the B110 increase ?

The people not need to pay for pensions. This is a tourist Capitol that makes billions under the right government.  Which I think is the problem here. A blind dog could manage this absolute money spinner of a country better than these old men. No previous CV to boot. Has proven to be a disaster that will keep sliding down hill.

Edited by Media1

On 9/16/2017 at 1:35 AM, champers said:

So, quite a bit less than you would pay in the UK. Would you have a girlfriend in the UK as good as your Thai GF? (pick your own criteria).

Which one...the liar, the cheat, the backstabber or the thief?

Why  do  so  many  quote  Bar  prices  for  beer  etc? That is  almost always  disproportionate  to   normal  retail prices in  Thailand.

Try  Bali  Indonesia for  even  the retail  extortion  of  imported alcohol !

Edited by Dumbastheycome
addition word

8 hours ago, JohnLick said:

Businesses work on minimum target margin, not absolute numbers

Price before 500, margin 30% = final price 650

Increase of 100 to 600 =/ final price 750 but 600 *1.3 = 780

Since they like to use round numbers this usually translates to 800

What something should be and what people make of it are two different things

Minimum target margin not absolute numbers.

What kind of talk is this?? Never heard the like.

But I do know the difference between a mark-up and a margin.

Standard ploy used by the UK Government amongst others- leak a high figure and them impose the lower figure that was planned all along. People effected breathe a sigh of relief, and feel vindicated or that they have got off lightly.

Only the Thais could overplay the hand and create such a fiasco.

On 17/09/2017 at 12:04 PM, xylophone said:

I think you will find that they import the grape juice then add "fruit juice/whatever" here then ferment it........thereby the wine is "produced" in Thailand (Mont Clair, Mar Y Sol, Finca de Malpica etc)........that's why it is so cheap, and will probably get even cheaper now?

Mont Clair is palatable........just about!

10 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Standard ploy used by the UK Government amongst others- leak a high figure and them impose the lower figure that was planned all along. People effected breathe a sigh of relief, and feel vindicated or that they have got off lightly.

Only the Thais could overplay the hand and create such a fiasco.

Yep ,Rep.of Ireland similar .

Probably need to give stores a week or two to sell current stock and they have to replace with new stock under the new excise tax rates to see what the new & improved prices will be.

All so the govt can improve everyone's health.  Or, to tell the truth (which governments many times have a hard time doing), just to increase tax revenue while saying it's to improve health.

On 9/18/2017 at 7:37 AM, anto said:

I only buy the 4 or 5 lt box of Wine here .Which i could get for just under B1000  . I guess that will be slapped with the B110 increase ?

It's hard to know the answer on the larger volume sizes.  Logically the price increases are based on a per liter volume and wouldn't get an increase.  I would be surprised if they flipped bag in box wines into the over 1000 baht category.

It will also depend on whether it's concentrate fermented here or bulk  wine imported and bottled here for the bag in the box wines.  If it's made from concentrate and fermented here they may get a local tax level, like the Thai wineries. 

Today, in a new market just opening up I checked my two benchmark wine prices - Mar y Sol (wines finished and bottled here in Thailand and Bellville wine imported in bulk to Vietnam - finished and then exported to Thailand).  The Mar y Sol price had dropped from 299 to 279 baht per bottle of 750 ml.  The Belleville still at the pre-tax increase/decrease is still at 295 per bottle.  Maybe the Belleville is old stock and not changed yet.

On 9/18/2017 at 9:34 AM, xylophone said:

You make a fair point and probably why Mont Clair was originally advertised'/touted as a wine from South Africa, but that angle of advertising seems to have dropped off now,

I believe the Siam Winery angle is that they import the "raw material" (grape juice) add to it (Hibiscus fruit in the case of the red), ferment it and bottle it here, so call it locally produced wine.

Much the same as a country importing something like cotton, then producing shirts as the finished article and stating that they were made in that country? (best analogy I could think of).

However rest assured that Siam Winery wants the best of both worlds.......promoting a "wine" from another country, but wanting the tax breaks applicable to a locally produced wine, which to all intents and purposes it is??

Interesting, I hadn't followed Montclair.  They may of started out Montclair as imported bulk wine and converted to importing grape juice concentrate, then making the leap to 'it's "made" in Thailand. 

Regards Siam Winery's wines, did you actually see them in print saying they added Hibiscus fruit to red wine?  If so, like I said, winemaker at the top of the wine tank with an eyedropper. I've seen many Hibiscus, never a fruit.    Have never been able to find any indication on the labels of fruit wine category wines of the volume added. I'm sure that's because it's none.

In the wine industry world wide it's not allowed to claim wine made from juice or concentrate as the country of import.  If it's Chilean grape juice concentrate it isn't Thailand  juice, but again elsewhere in the world it would be labelled 'fermented and bottled', but not 'produced and bottled'.    Here and especially an outfit like Siam Winery, they feel free to blur the lines and agreed Siam Winery is milking the tax advantage wherever possible.  I suspect the lot of these big Thai companies created the phony 'fruit wine' category at 84 baht tax per bottle and got the government to go along with it.  And the Thailand wine distributors.

It was of interest in the B Post article that the 'sin tax' commission seemed to be reacting to world trade norms and trade regulations and trying to not get Thailand caught out on crossing the line on same when making up some of these new laws.

As  far  as   I  am  aware the  international  definition  of   wine  is  the  product of  the  direct fermentation  of  fresh  fruit,  usually  considered  to  be  grapes. 

By  that  definition  fermented  products  created   from  concentrated juices  that  have  been  reconstituted by  the  addition  of   water  are   not  true   wines.

On 18/09/2017 at 11:02 AM, JRUSA said:

San Miguel nickname diesel, I can see why, it's quite cheap in the Philippines, but rum is dirt cheap there. Bia Hoi is about 8 baht a glass, 30ml? Yes bottled beer is more expensive, I think Bia Hoi is better than many Asian beers, some dismiss it because it's cheap, it's based on Czech lager, I prefer the hoppy taste to the sweeter bland lagers. Haiphong brewery is a good place to drink it.

2 hours ago, B4Jazz said:

San Miguel nickname diesel, I can see why, it's quite cheap in the Philippines, but rum is dirt cheap there. Bia Hoi is about 8 baht a glass, 30ml? Yes bottled beer is more expensive, I think Bia Hoi is better than many Asian beers, some dismiss it because it's cheap, it's based on Czech lager, I prefer the hoppy taste to the sweeter bland lagers. Haiphong brewery is a good place to drink it.

8 baht for a 30ml glass of beer does not sound at all cheep.

3 hours ago, naboo said:

My local Tesco Lotus, new prices. Chang no change, Leo up 2B (large bottles).

I checked the online sites for Villa, Tops and Tesco again this morning for the saved lists of beers I have at each site, and still found no price changes whatsoever, either for local or imported beers.

Oddly, the one change I did see today was Tops suddenly was selling cans of Oettinger non-alcoholic beer for 89b, and they'd long been pricing them at 119b per can. And the current price at least on their website wasn't listed as any kind of special sale or promotion.