Sharp tax hike on alcohol and tobacco effective immediately

rooster59

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

34 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

Well, at least that portion of the larger demographic that are TV members and who tend to devote much of their time to railing against everything.

I find it amusing that whenever liquor sales are banned for a day or two (in theory anyway), coping with that proves to be too challenging for many long-term residents and now there are more predictions that tourism will cease to exist and that all of this is a preamble to a formal take over of Thailand by China.

That is what they're responding to in this thread. Their world is just a great deal smaller than it is for most of us and  is far less complicated but appears to be under threat by a conspiracy beyond their ken.

:clap2:

3 hours ago, Techno Viking said:

It is my understanding the new price does not come into effect until Sept 1st.

Yeah and mom&pop are not paying tax on their sales.

They are paying tax when they buy from their supplier, or, actually, the supplier somewhere paid tax..

The price increase now is just people being opportunistic!!

The real prices will normalize in the coming weeks as everyone restocks and find out the actual price.

18 minutes ago, robblok said:

I seen the rates in the BKK post (not sure if they are named here already) But I don't think they are that high. 

Some things even got cheaper like high priced beer. 

I typed it myself to prevent problems with the BKK post so apologies for mistakes.

01tax.JPG

Are that Baht or percentages?

1 hour ago, car720 said:

Just an observation but when talking about the world possibly being blown to hell and gone by nukes we get about 3 or 4 pages but talk about booze and fags and we get 17 of more.   Says a lot about the demographic of expats in Thailand.:cheesy::burp::stoner:

Well you hear bs about end of the World and nukes how often? And how many times did it happen?

But when you lovely government want, yet again, bigger piece of your small pie so they can get fifth Lambo... the chance of taxes going up is 99.8%

8 hours ago, jvs said:

So what will be the increase per bottle of beer?I guess that is what a lot of people would like to know.

It will not last long anyway,as soon as they find out this increase will actually make them less money they will revoke this real fast.

50 satang on a can and 2 baht 66 on a bottle. More expensive beers will have a tax reduction.

So much for all the scare mongers that have been reporting outrageous increases.

29 minutes ago, robblok said:

I seen the rates in the BKK post (not sure if they are named here already) But I don't think they are that high. 

Some things even got cheaper like high priced beer. 

I typed it myself to prevent problems with the BKK post so apologies for mistakes.

01tax.JPG

Local wine 1000THB or less? They want to tell us some Thai crap wine can demand price close or over 1000THB? lol

Edited by JohnLick

24 minutes ago, CH1961 said:

Cheers Shogun 50 Baht a can. Didn't know what's the price yesterday ... and don't even care ;-)

If you can't afford a beer, stay dry or stay away from Thailand :-(

I can afford 300 thb per can... but that doesn't mean I will / want to pay so much.

Especially since you can already get it 4-6x cheaper in countries with higher labor costs and high taxes.

53 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

Well, at least that portion of the larger demographic that are TV members and who tend to devote much of their time to railing against everything.

I find it amusing that whenever liquor sales are banned for a day or two (in theory anyway), coping with that proves to be too challenging for many long-term residents and now there are more predictions that tourism will cease to exist and that all of this is a preamble to a formal take over of Thailand by China.

That is what they're responding to in this thread. Their world is just a great deal smaller than it is for most of us and  is far less complicated but appears to be under threat by a conspiracy beyond their ken.

Start a thread with alcohol or sex in the title and you get 20 pages of responses within the next 12 hours.

Threads about any other subject get about 1 page of response in the first week.

95% of the members on this forum claim to be married to a woman holding a bachelor degree at the least, which they met in some upscale environment, and look down at those who married a bar lady and are so brave to admit it on this forum.

It looks like 5% of the members have a lot of posting power.

3 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

I just went to 7-11 yesterday a Archa beer was 45 baht today a Archa beer was 49 baht.....

That's it I am done with Thailand..

If you need 10 beer a day it is 40x365 a year ... that's approx. 450 USD more a year ...

If you can't afford this ... it's time for you :-)

8 hours ago, jvs said:

So what will be the increase per bottle of beer?I guess that is what a lot of people would like to know.

It will not last long anyway,as soon as they find out this increase will actually make them less money they will revoke this real fast.

The favorite procedure after implementing non practical rules and regulations here:

"let's paddle backwards, I hear banjos"

5 minutes ago, JohnLick said:

I can afford 300 thb per can... but that doesn't mean I will / want to pay so much.

Especially since you can already get it 4-6x cheaper in countries with higher labor costs and high taxes.

Yes, you are right ... in Switzerland you can buy 0.5 liter beer for under one Swiss Franc ...

But for me there are other things more important ;-)

2 minutes ago, CH1961 said:

Yes, you are right ... in Switzerland you can buy 0.5 liter beer for under one Swiss Franc ...

But for me there are other things more important ;-)

But it is not just you and me.

We might be pissed off paying more, but won't make much of budget dent... But what about the (most) Thais who earn 300 - 600 thb per day?

They work often 10 hours a day, 6 days a week. Can't get holiday for long enough to go overseas while hardly able to afford a night out. Just so Singha, Chang etc families can pop skyscrapers around like lentils and the ones on the top buy every toy imaginable. So it is not fair to say others to move if you can't afford it.

‘Sin taxes’ rise: imported wine up by Bt110 a bottle

By The Nation

79513dac290ab5af520919c76649d22a.jpeg

New excise taxes will see “moderate” rises in the prices of alcoholic beverages, sugary drinks and cigarettes, the Director General of Excise Department Somchai Poolsavasdi, said on Saturday.

He told the press conference that new taxes rates effective immediately would not increase the price of many items, and that some items would be taxed less.

He said producers may absorb rising costs for products facing high market competition, but in any case consumers would not pay much more for these products.

The new excise system is based on retail price, while the previous system was based on ex-factory or CIF (cost, insurance and freight) prices.

The details are as following:

The tax per bottle of wine priced more than Bt1,000 will be Bt110 upwards, depending on the price. The tax on locally made wine will decrease by Bt25 per bottle.

The tax per can of beer will be Bt0.50 higher, and for bottles of beer it will be Bt2 .66 more. For higher-priced beer, the tax will decrease by between Bt0.99 and Bt2.

White spirit will be taxed more by Bt0.84-3.49 per bottle. For other kinds of locally produced spirit, the additional tax will be Bt8 per bottle for 28 per cent alcohol content and Bt30 for 40 per cent alcohol content.

The tax on other imported spirits, such as Johnnie Walker Red and Blue Label Scotch whisky, will be a little less, from Bt3 to Bt26 depending on alcohol content.

For cheap cigarette brands, the tax will add Bt4 to Bt15 more per pack, while higher-priced cigarettes will be taxed at Bt2-10 more per pack.

Sugary drinks also be subject to higher taxes. Soft drink taxes will be Bt0.13 to Bt 0.50 per bottle, but sugar-free soft-drink will be taxed less by Bt0.28 Bt0.36 per bottle.

Energy drinks will be taxed more, ranging from Bt0.32 to Bt0.90 per can or bottle.

Green tea will be taxed Bt1.13 to Bt2.05 more per bottle, and the tax on coffee will be Bt1.35 more per bottle or can.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30326861

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-09-16

Just remember this is just the tax increase, so in 7-11 beer may only go up 5 baht but in bar/nightclub may go up 20 baht. Thailand now is similar to UK beer prices, in UK you can get loads of beers for around £1-£1.25 a 0.5l bottle, £1.25 is about 55 baht. No big deal for me as I don't need to drink much. At least the £ has gone up a bit.

11 minutes ago, B4Jazz said:

Just remember this is just the tax increase, so in 7-11 beer may only go up 5 baht but in bar/nightclub may go up 20 baht. Thailand now is similar to UK beer prices, in UK you can get loads of beers for around £1-£1.25 a 0.5l bottle, £1.25 is about 55 baht. No big deal for me as I don't need to drink much. At least the £ has gone up a bit.

OK UK? I guess this is Thailand. But please, for everybodys sake. By all means, explain how 7-11 can stand out and no have to take part. Is that in your eyes a company that do not have to participate?

Edited by Get Real