Only Fools and Horses star reveals heartbreak as Thai wife banned from the UK

rooster59

Be better of in a rubber dingy waving a Isis flag,  get money housed and a car as well , feel sorry for him damn such laws when Citizens can't bring who they want into the country knowing full well they will and must provide , typical example , citizens back of the cue , Obama knew that 

Edited by Ju dhum
Miss spelling

16 hours ago, JAG said:

The rules were changed, the year after my daughter was born (2006? - the rule change, I know to.the second when my daughter was born!)

I subsequently married my daughters mother. Lucy has a western name, and my surname on her birth certificate, and her Thai ID card. I am advised, and understand from reading the rules that she may be awarded British citizenship, but it is discretionary, requires a (non refundable) fee of just under £1000, and there is no appeal.

My first enquiry about the matter, made through the consular department of the embassy in Bangkok was met with a blank refusal. I am now intending to make the application in the new year, when I will have the money.

I am not really prepared to stump up the cash until I have a clear indication of exactly what the discretionary conditions are, and how transparent is the application, (£1000 is a lot of cash for a teacher!)

Two letters to the UK home office asking for that information that have gone unanswered.

People moan about frozen pensions, and I understand and agree, but even more egregious in my opinion is the way the immigration rules are applied to our children.

If you're married to the mother and named on the birth certificate, and you were born in the UK - you should be covered under the pre-2006 rules even if you got married after the birth of the child, as that makes the birth "legitimated". (2006 just changed the rules so you didn't need to marry at all)

i.e. the phrase on the governments own form is:

Children born before 1 July 2006 whose parents were not married could only acquire British citizenship through their mothers. They could not benefit from their father’s British citizenship unless their parents married at a later date and the birth was “legitimated”

They have the same rules in the US.  Illegals can flood across the border, but US citizens who are under a income threshold can't bring their foreign wives onto US soil.  However, my guess is that all the DACA 'dreamers' can bring their entire families to the US without a problem. 
Simply throw the word 'fair' out of your personal dictionary.

19 hours ago, champers said:

A rule that is likely to be defunct post Brexit. I feel for him; I hope he can find a solution.

I would have thought that royalties from endless repeats of Only Fools and Horses would keep the money rolling in. Maybe not.

I might sound cynical and i feel for the family but so many Thai and foreign spouses are struggling to live together here in Thailand. If u dont have 40k per month or 400K in a bank for 3 months u can't live here with your kids and wife.

As they say ..............Som nam naa..... 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Unfortunately, you are right.  Perfectly normal families are being penalised for the sins of allowing the Indian sub continent ridiculously lax rules for bringing  whole  extended families into the UK and that has been going on for decades.  Neither can we can't criticise the Thais for employing strict visa rules to stop the same thing happening here. I actually admire the LOS application of immigration law, even thought it causes me and others some inconvenience. 

Surely some kind of quota for each country should be introduced to make things fairer.  Off the top of my head something like 80% of non EU migration is from the Indian sub continent, this should be drastically reduced.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Off-topic, but when I married wife #3, we were living in Pattaya at the time (I was working as a software engineer - honest!).

She insisted we drive down the road to Sri Racha to marry, rather than have 'Pattaya' on the marriage certificate. :shock1:

married 3 times.........................classy :smile:

• Haha 1

The problem arises, as with all bureaucratic systems, with the fact that there is no discretionary powers.  Anyone that has ever had to deal with the western system of governance understands this.  Certain people in society gravitate to certain positions.  That is why you see so many bully boys in the police force for example.  They are attracted by the power.  Most public servants are attracted to that work because the rules devoid them  of all responsibility for decision making.  Everyone knows that if you get in there and don't make waves then you are set for life.  Politicians would never promise so much if there was nothing in it for them.  Sheer graft, from top to bottom.  Look at Australia now, $7,000 for a visa application which is totally non-refundable.  They used to say that men went overseas to buy a wife but it seems that first you have to buy her from the Australian government.

17 hours ago, laislica said:

Indeed, so perhaps it's time for a petition to change the law to allow born n bread Brits to be allowed to have their wives and families with them, and never mind where they were born.

The English speak, read, write and knowledge tests should also not be necessary if the spouse is over, say 50.

If the Brit can show that they have accommodation and meet the minimum wage that should be enough.

The £18,600.00 pa is fair enough for totally foreign couples who want to settle in the UK.

Let's face it, we, as foreigners in Thailand, have to prove a similar amount!

Then there is the state pension - does it even meet the minimum wage?

UK current min wage aged over 25 is £7.50.

So for a 40 hour week is £300 and for a 52 week year is £15,600.00 pa.so where does the £18,600.00 pa come from?

The full basic State Pension is £122.30 per week or £6,359.60 pa.

So a basic state pensioner has no chance to meet the £18,600.00 pa then!

Oh, but he (or she) could marry a born n bred other Brit who never worked in their life and exist on state hand outs.

It's all very wrong.

Since the nation has chosen to leave the UK EU, perhaps now it the time that WE petition for changes to help US?

We NEED to organise.....

What about OUR Human Rights?

The English and Life in the UK tests aren't required if you're over 65.

I think that's when my wife is intending to apply for her British nationality...

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, MickTurator said:

Only if they were married before the birth.

I fell foul of that law and it has plagued me and my daughter for the rest of our lives.

Err, no, that changed some years ago; twice, I seem to recall. I suspect the British government suddenly caught on to the fact that they were flagrantly breaking their own discrimination laws.

You can apply for citizenship for your daughter via the consulate, extra info. required re criminal 'record' dependent on her age (under/over ten).

57 minutes ago, thesetat2013 said:

and you must be naive enough to think those minimum income laws are not there for a reason. every country has them, including thailand. whu should this guy be allowed to bypass this law?
He just has a big head because of his past popularity, which, apparently, is gone now.

Because the visa rules are patently unfair, especially when one considers that there has been an open door to absolutely anyone who happens to have an EU passport to come and live on the UK.  This case highlights an unjust system.

My wife was offered a job at the head office (in London) of her company but would not have been able to get a visa, yet ANYONE with an EU passport, whether they have any connection with the UK or not, can come over and get a job.

The system is crazy and unfair and I hope it will change post Brexit.

• Like 1

I fell foul of that law and it has plagued me and my daughter for the rest of our lives.

If and when you go to the UK she can apply for naturalisation, no? Just a thought.

Didn't knew that.
I am polish not married and got a kid, in polish law if any of the parrents is polish the kid is polish automatically, all I had to do was to confirm her polish nationality get a birth cert and then passport, b cuz not married took longer like almost year but no problem.
Thought be same for brits.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Not true? I have a daughter  from a Thai woman,not married.Daughter Registered in Thailand with my name and a British passport and British registration.

Didn't knew that.
I am polish not married and got a kid, in polish law if any of the parrents is polish the kid is polish automatically, all I had to do was to confirm her polish nationality get a birth cert and then passport, b cuz not married took longer like almost year but no problem.
Thought be same for brits.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

It is the same now. If one parent is British (otherwise than by descent) their child can apply for a British passport.
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jonmarleesco said:

Err, no, that changed some years ago; twice, I seem to recall. I suspect the British government suddenly caught on to the fact that they were flagrantly breaking their own discrimination laws.

You can apply for citizenship for your daughter via the consulate, extra info. required re criminal 'record' dependent on her age (under/over ten).

Thank you for that.

I have looked up the passport application form and it has changed. It's no longer the one with orange lines that looks like a flowchart.

It no longer mentions marriage before birth.

Time for a retry.  Thanks

18 hours ago, champers said:

I am only guessing, but the current rules allow Euro spouses in regardless of merit; they are allowed in carte blanche. After Brexit there may be more flexibility for Non-Euro spouses.

Nigel Farage would probably know better than me. His wife is German.

EU citizens are allowed in, married to a Brit or not.  There is no logical reason why post Brexit they would relax the rules for non-EU spouses, the majority of the EU allow them, the UK chooses to restrict them and this was recently challenged in the courts but it was withheld, no one is expecting anything like that to change post Brexit as it has nothing to do with the EU.  And why would Farage know any better than you, try asking a politician.

Surely some kind of quota for each country should be introduced to make things fairer.  Off the top of my head something like 80% of non EU migration is from the Indian sub continent, this should be drastically reduced.

I wonder if "the Indian subcontinent continent" is an euphemism for " Pakistan"?

5 minutes ago, bikerbri said:

Not true? I have a daughter  from a Thai woman,not married.Daughter Registered in Thailand with my name and a British passport and British registration.

The notes to form MN1 January 2017 version say this

"British citizenship by descent
British citizenship may descend to one generation born abroad. So a child born abroad to a parent who is British otherwise than by descent will automatically be British by descent.
The exception is
 a child born before 1 July 2006 to a British father and non-British mother who were not married. The child will be able to apply for registration under section 4G using form UKF."

Is there something else that got your round this rule or is your child relatively old now?

19 hours ago, bristolgeoff said:

it is wrong when u see all the illegals in the uk getting everything.he wants his wife and child  with him legal.but he can not,that is wrong

"that is wrong"

I would say it's completely disgusting! 

I might sound cynical and i feel for the family but so many Thai and foreign spouses are struggling to live together here in Thailand. If u dont have 40k per month or 400K in a bank for 3 months u can't live here with your kids and wife.
As they say ..............Som nam naa..... 

Multiple entry non immigrant type O issued because you are married....

8 minutes ago, MickTurator said:

Thank you for that.

I have looked up the passport application form and it has changed. It's no longer the one with orange lines that looks like a flowchart.

It no longer mentions marriage before birth.

Time for a retry.  Thanks

When I get onto my PC, I'll look for the info. Now seven years ago, so some requirements might have changed, but it'll give you an idea. If you let me have an address, I'll forward it. 

I know i am going to get slated for my comment but isn't it reasonable for a Brit to show proof he can support his wife and kid/s when taking them to the UK?

Btw I'm suprised he can't get some of his mates to put up the £62,000 to be honest. What happened to all the Only Fools and Horses money... squandered?

Edited by SpeakeasyThai
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1