Only Fools and Horses star reveals heartbreak as Thai wife banned from the UK

rooster59

Patrick said: “As I’ve been out of the country for a bit and I’m self-employed, I have to work for one year and then show tax returns.

This is his problem.  Even if he was earning £25,000.00 per year he still has to prove it by supplying the required paperwork.

He has been out of the country for a bit.... How long is a bit?  Quite obviously he has just started working as a Self Employed cabbie.  All self employed people have to supply tax returns to prove their income, this is nothing new.

My advice is get your story straight, get the work done and get your tax returns and apply like everyone else.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, barsie said:

What I don't like about the system is lack of tiering.

You have to do the same ridiculous paperwork if you earn £100k a year as if you earn a barely sufficient £19k.

Would be a better system to be able to guarantor a bond of like £50k - so government got insurance and they aren't entitled to any benefits.

These rules must cost billions in genuine lost tourist revenue. Amazed many genuine tourists would do all the paperwork they ask for.

It has nothing to do with tourism, this rule is for those seeking permanent residency, you don't have to do this for a 6 month visitor visa, and why should a slightly higher income remove you from the queue, entitled would be the word, and 100k is hardly something to feel entitled over!  Those who invest 1 million get residency by the way, without all the fuss, that is how the Russians and the like do it, just buy one house and they are in, simple, the same of course is not available for those on a wage.

Lets try Joe Blogs whos worked all his 61 yrs,  but never been on the telly is being denied entry for his wife beacuse as a cabby he does not meet the income required level. Would it 

1. Reach the papers.

2. Get 21 pages on here.

NO being the answer.

But to answer the question just do as the thousands of others do. Go into UK on a tourist visa disapear and of course make sure you lose your passport.

Then if ever caught (doubtful) get amnesty international on board. By the time its sorted out he'd be dead end of problem

Edited by jeab1980
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Stanaris said:

Patrick said: “As I’ve been out of the country for a bit and I’m self-employed, I have to work for one year and then show tax returns.

This is his problem.  Even if he was earning £25,000.00 per year he still has to prove it by supplying the required paperwork.

He has been out of the country for a bit.... How long is a bit?  Quite obviously he has just started working as a Self Employed cabbie.  All self employed people have to supply tax returns to prove their income, this is nothing new.

My advice is get your story straight, get the work done and get your tax returns and apply like everyone else.

Which country ?  if its a EU country and been self employed then you have paperwork from your company or from your employer,  tax returns not nessecery under EU law ( still UK is under the EU umbrella )

1 minute ago, jeab1980 said:

Lets try Joe Blogs whos worked all his 61 yrs,  but never been on the telly is being denied entry for his wife beacuse as a cabby he does not meet the income required level. Would it 

1. Reach the papers.

2. Get 21 pages on here.

NO being the answer.

You're right, however this guys plight brings publicity to the problem.

If it were me I would make sure I worked for 'someone else', that could be a person or a company.

Are you still self employed if you work for a Limited company which you own as a director ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

It has nothing to do with tourism, this rule is for those seeking permanent residency, you don't have to do this for a 6 month visitor visa, and why should a slightly higher income remove you from the queue, entitled would be the word, and 100k is hardly something to feel entitled over!  Those who invest 1 million get residency by the way, without all the fuss, that is how the Russians and the like do it, just buy one house and they are in, simple, the same of course is not available for those on a wage.

Tourist visa for a thai to UK - is just as much paperwork.

It's not about entitlement - people don't want economic migrants. You remove that risk by having people visit who aren't economic migrants.

1 minute ago, ukrules said:

You're right, however this guys plight brings publicity to the problem.

If it were me I would make sure I worked for 'someone else', that could be a person or a company.

Are you still self employed if you work for a Limited company which you own as a director ?

What "problem"?

I don't see a problem

What would you prefer? A situation where just because he's British, the authorities simply take his word as an Englishman?

The rules were there long before he left - it's his responsibility to make sure he meets the criteria.

This has nothing to do with other aspects of the immigration system that many here find distasteful

After many millions of people of uk and around the world have been entertained by the truly amazing talent of the cast of only fools n horses they now are shown zero loyalty or companion by the decision makers, seems their are no exceptions to the rules... so sad considering f the scumbags, thugs and Terrorists uk have welcomed in across the borders.. this could also reflect of more tight visas for British coming or living in Thailand to... wake up mrs May and do the "right thing"

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

22 minutes ago, flyingfox1 said:

After many millions of people of uk and around the world have been entertained by the truly amazing talent of the cast of only fools n horses they now are shown zero loyalty or companion by the decision makers, seems their are no exceptions to the rules... so sad considering f the scumbags, thugs and Terrorists uk have welcomed in across the borders.. this could also reflect of more tight visas for British coming or living in Thailand to... wake up mrs May and do the "right thing"

By everybody i hope you mean not just beacuse once someone was on tv

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, flyingfox1 said:

Why should he get special consideration from UKVI any more than me or any other UK national who marries somebody from outside the EU? Because he was on the TV years ago? He had a very small part in Only fools and horses but that is pretty irrelevant but presumably he doesn’t get repeat fees?

He should have done his homework like so many of us had to do.

My comments about the Supreme court were wrong. he's just complaining about the Supreme court decision.

Edited by rasg
Edit
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, lungbing said:

If he were Lithuanian, married to a Pakistani woman with neither speaking English, they would have been able to enter the UK with no problem.  EU citizens are treated better than UK ones.

Maybe but we are not in Schengen. That loophole will close after we leave too.

On 9/17/2017 at 1:24 PM, brewsterbudgen said:

Surely if his daughter is British the income requirement is 18,600, irrespective of where she was born? 

On 9/17/2017 at 1:24 PM, brewsterbudgen said:

And 18,600 income might be a lot for a cabbie to prove. But I do agree with another post regarding his royalties, unless he's been done over by his manager which is s distinct possibility in show business!

I had my photo shown on Crime Watch, should I get preferential treatment!!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

Just now, sambum said:

And 18,600 income might be a lot for a cabbie to prove. But I do agree with another post regarding his royalties, unless he's been done over by his manager which is s distinct possibility in show business!

I think you are right. He was a long way down the food chain in Only Fools and as was mentioned ten pages or more back he probably doesn't get repeat fees. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rasg said:

I think you are right. He was a long way down the food chain in Only Fools and as was mentioned ten pages or more back he probably doesn't get repeat fees. 

A bit off topic, but a mate of mine wrote the "B" side for a hit single, and got a monthly royalties cheque for many years afterwards, but others have had their work plagiarised and get zilch. (I think the Performing Rights Society might have been involved, but not sure)

7 minutes ago, rasg said:

Depends on what contract options you go for.

Someone I know opted for a low fee with repeat payments rather than one off higher fee.

It was only an advert for R Whites Lemonade but went on to be one of the most repeated adverts in history.

She was getting cheques for at least the next 20 years, maybe still getting them.

3 hours ago, Thai Ron said:

I wonder how much of the outrage about this story stems from the fact that so many of the people commenting could easily be in the same situation as this fool.

As in, old, having another crack at happiness with a much younger wife and a new child.

It's a monumentally stupid life choice when you read it on paper but so many people here are talking as if UK immigration have done wrong by him.

I don't think so - in fact, I think they've helped him dodge a bullet.

His wife ain't bad looking and I can easily see his wife getting offers from younger, richer and better looking blokes every time she stepped out of the house

Wouldn't be long before he was back in Pattaya drowning his sorrows with his last few quid before diving off a balcony.

Let me guess; you are a pretty miserable sod, aren't you?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was helping a Thai friend obtain a UK tourist visa. She was called by a Thai person and asked for more money to speed up her application. She didn't want to and her application was finally rejected. I wrote an email of complaint to UK authority in UK. They told me to get in contact with the crooked embassy in Thailand. Poor experience. Hope UK has taken back control of it's embassy.

On ‎17‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 7:41 AM, FreddieRoyle said:
On ‎17‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 7:22 AM, isco said:

she'd get in alright if she was muslim

Indeed. Rules for ethnic Brits are not the same as for other ethnicities, even though we were born there. Sheer madness. Immigration officer was touchy (to put it mildly) when we commented as above on a prior visit to the UK.

All these two posts prove is how ignorant some people are of the UK family immigration rules.

They apply equally to all non EEA nationals regardless of race, religion or nationality, unless they qualify under the EEA rules, and are likely to apply to EEA nationals and their families as well post Brexit.

Educate yourselves:

Immigration Rules Appendix FM: family members

Immigration Rules Appendix FM-SE: family members specified evidence

Immigration Directorate Instruction Family Migration:  Appendix FM Section 1.7 Appendix Armed Forces Financial Requirement

Regular readers of the Visas and immigration to other countries forum know my opinions of this iniquitous financial requirement; but Mr and Mrs Murray are not being singled out because he is white British and she is Thai.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

Let me guess; you are a pretty miserable sod, aren't you?

LOL!

Far from it.

If some silly old man wants to risk it all on a Thai bird half his age and then import her to the UK like a kit car then that's his business but this forum is full of stories from those same idiots who've been dumped the minute the wife gets indefinite leave to remain.

What's more, she always seems to have found herself a geezer her own age with a lot more energy, a lot more money and who doesn't get laughed at like her her geriatric husband tottering through Aldi with a 2 year old.

• Like 1