The future of Pattaya? The Future of Thailand?

The manic

there is still some beautiful places about you just have to look for them, we go to leam sadet beach and 99% of the time im the only falang there, beach is so beautful, i did see one time another falang thats why i put 99% of the time,

in my opinion pattaya has gone down hill, but other might think it has improved, its all just opinions

3 hours ago, Lucky mike said:

Very Buddhist, the only constant is change, although not always for the good ?

What is better about the brave new world in which we find ourselves? Not much IMO. Polls tell us that parents expect their children's lives to be worse than their own. Geed certainly triumphed though. Remember Gordon Gekko? 1987 and he was right, unfortunately, as it has transpired.

I think the 60s and early 70s were the best we've ever had in the history of humans. After that it all went a bit off track.

I know what happened but it's too big and off topic to go into on here.

Given this is a Pattaya forum, I can't speak as to how good Pattaya was in the 60s and 70s, but I turned up in the 90s and it was damn fine then, but been slowly becoming less friendly, more expensive, more criminality, less fun.

From the numbers I see in the barbeers, seems like not many want to discover it either.

12 minutes ago, morrobay said:

OP : The future of Pattaya ? But most of the replies above are about the past

The future of Pattaya is well discussed on many threads, and it ain't looking good.

Many of us don't like what the world has become and take refuge in the past.

I certainly don't like what Pattaya has become, or what it will become if it keeps going this way.

6 hours ago, Asiantravel said:

I can think of no better example of " Paradise lost " than what used to be the clean, beautiful with crystal clear waters Maldives(as I remember it fondly 30 years ago). It is heartbreaking to see what has happened to that place

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/517205/Mounds-rubbish-ruin-Maldives-paradise

Penang in the 70's was wonderful. I went back couple of years ago and it was horrible.

Why do humans have to destroy everything nice and pleasant?

Nostalgia is normal. Britain used to be a great place to live too ! I also experienced Ibiza, Goa, then Kata Beach, Bali. Of course places change, often for the worse, but they've left me with a stack full of wonderful memories, and friends ! 

8 minutes ago, geisha said:

Nostalgia is normal. Britain used to be a great place to live too ! I also experienced Ibiza, Goa, then Kata Beach, Bali. Of course places change, often for the worse, but they've left me with a stack full of wonderful memories, and friends ! 

Nostalgia is not what it used to be ! Sorry......

On 18/09/2017 at 3:53 PM, Destiny1990 said:

In 100 years people will still say Pattaya, Patong etc are nearly lost but i think these towns  will easily survive us all and always going to draw mass tourism. Famouse cities in Europe all got mass tourism but they are not lost either. 

But will the unique fun that powered the energy that made the place brilliant in the first place survive? Or just become another corporate cliche on the tourist trail? Where is the adventure, the counter culture, the originality, the freebooters and pirates, the local people and customs unfiltered by hedge fund backed anodyne plastic crap for plastic people...think Hooters in Pattaya and Soi 4 Bangkok. 

9 hours ago, The manic said:

But will the unique fun that powered the energy that made the place brilliant in the first place survive? Or just become another corporate cliche on the tourist trail? Where is the adventure, the counter culture, the originality, the freebooters and pirates, the local people and customs unfiltered by hedge fund backed anodyne plastic crap for plastic people...think Hooters in Pattaya and Soi 4 Bangkok. 

Sadly, that is already happening in Pattaya - Hooters being a very good example of a very bad example....if you see what I mean? The very existence of places like The Hilton are and will continue to influence the changes. For we "party people" :whistling: the changes are not good, for others they may be. 

On 9/17/2017 at 11:37 PM, champers said:

Cheap air travel and social media are to blame. Nowhere is "secret" and exclusive anymore, apart from privately owned islands. 

Do you want to know where mine is? Mind your own business! ?

Call someplace paradise, kiss it goodbye.

I've kissed a number of paradises goodbye in Australia before I arrived here. If paradise is what you need, there will always be one to find but don't expect it to last forever.

48 minutes ago, tropo said:

Call someplace paradise, kiss it goodbye.

I've kissed a number of paradises goodbye in Australia before I arrived here. If paradise is what you need, there will always be one to find but don't expect it to last forever.

Personally I do not want unspoilt paradises. I find them boring. I like urban energy, spontaneous freedoms. I'm thinking of the markets stalls and pop up bar on Sukhumvit which have been closed down recently. When Theremaes was open till 7 in the morning. Before police piss tests. When there were elephants in the streets and cops did not bother too much about dope smoking. When the Kao San road had characters and was edgy. When there was no footie or sports in bars. When the girls were all nude in the Go Go bars of Pattaya and Bangkok. Before Techno, EDM, UDM, Electro pop etc. When the menus in Pattaya were in English and Thai not Russian and Thai. Etc Etc.

27 minutes ago, The manic said:

Personally I do not want unspoilt paradises. I find them boring. I like urban energy, spontaneous freedoms. I'm thinking of the markets stalls and pop up bar on Sukhumvit which have been closed down recently. When Theremaes was open till 7 in the morning. Before police piss tests. When there were elephants in the streets and cops did not bother too much about dope smoking. When the Kao San road had characters and was edgy. When there was no footie or sports in bars. When the girls were all nude in the Go Go bars of Pattaya and Bangkok. Before Techno, EDM, UDM, Electro pop etc. When the menus in Pattaya were in English and Thai not Russian and Thai. Etc Etc.

My interpretation of "paradise" was not the traditional unspoiled beach or whatever. It's what anyone wants to call "paradise", which can include what you personally like. The paradise that I kissed goodbye was a thriving tourist resort with plenty of energy and a thriving nightlife... but it just changed, became more sterile and lost its good feel.... kind of the same way that some old-timers feel about Pattaya.

Just now, tropo said:

My interpretation of "paradise" was not the traditional unspoiled beach or whatever. It's what anyone wants to call "paradise", which can include what you personally like. The paradise that I kissed goodbye was a thriving tourist resort with plenty of energy and a thriving nightlife... but it just changed, became more sterile and lost its good feel.... kind of the same way that some old-timers feel about Pattaya.

I tend to agree

Enjoy it now.  I am.

In 30 years or less there will be a museum of what it is now.

Hey, come in, this is what a GOGO bar was like, this was a place called Soi 6, you could get a massage for 100 b at these places, people danced in these clubs to strange music, people actually rode a bus for 10 b to anywhere, etc. etc......

3 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Enjoy it now.  I am.

Hey, come in, this is what a GOGO bar was like, this was a place called Soi 6, you could get a massage for 100 b at these places, people danced in these clubs to strange music, people actually rode a bus for 10 b to anywhere, etc. etc......

Yes you make a good point. Enjoy it now. It won't last for ever.

On 9/22/2017 at 10:32 AM, bkk6060 said:

Enjoy it now.  I am.

Just sometimes, I'm pleased to be the age I am because I rather feel that in 30 years the attractions of Soi 6 will no longer appeal to me! :cheesy:

On the other hand if I actually get to be a nonagenarian, and those attractions do still appeal.........:omfg: