Tobacco giant criticises new tax; border controls tightened to prevent smuggling

webfact

Tobacco giant criticises new tax; border controls tightened to prevent smuggling

By THE NATION

6e64e8f135badbe6276c4ef4facefd08.jpg

BANGKOK: -- AUTHORITIES tightened border controls to prevent smuggling while a leading international tobacco company yesterday urged the government to improve the structure of the tobacco tax to meet global standards after a new excise tax took effect over the weekend, raising the retail price of cigarettes and alcohol.

The Excise Department announced a new tax structure and new rates on Saturday. For low-cost cigarette brands priced costing Bt60 or less, the tax will add Bt4 to Bt15 per pack, while higher-priced cigarettes will be taxed at Bt2 to Bt10 more per pack. 

Philip Morris Thailand Limited (PMTL) congratulated the Thailand government on the implementation of its new excise tax system based on suggested retail prices, while stating that the company supported the government initiative to address the expansion of cheap cigarettes, but said the new tobacco tax system fell short of international best practices. 

“The announced tobacco excise rates still have room to improve to meet the global best practices endorsed by a number of organisations including the World Bank, World Health Organisation and nearly all developed countries,” Gerald Margolis, PMTL managing director, said in a statement. 

The new tax system creates a tiered tax by providing a 50 per cent reduction on the ad valorem, or “according to value”, excise rate for cigarettes priced below Bt60 a pack, he said. 

The tiered tax structure created an unfair playing field among domestic manufacturers and importers, and would accelerate down trading by providing incentives for manufacturers and importers to produce cheap cigarettes, he said.

This would further promote smoking, including among the young. “We believe that the government’s transition plan moving towards a single tax rate at the end of the next two years is a step in the right direction, and fully support and encourage the acceleration of that plan,” he said. 

PMTL wanted to move towards a smoke-free future and supported a tax policy based on the principle of tobacco harm-reduction that encourages smokers to switch from cigarettes to less harmful alternatives, such as noncombustible tobacco products, he said.

These products and tax policies should bring health benefits to Thailand, Margolis said. He added that the firm was assessing the impact of the new structure and would take necessary steps to maintain a competitive portfolio for its business.

Meanwhile, news of the new excise tax kept duty free shops at the borders with Malaysia and Cambodia busy yesterday as Thai consumers looked for cheaper cigarettes and alcohol, according to vendors and customs officials. 

The authorities allow the import of one litre of drinking alcohol and 200 cigarettes from abroad free of tax.

People in Yala’s Betong district were making unusual border crossings to buy the items from duty free shops on the Malaysian side yesterday, Thai officials said. They added that they were strictly imposing the quota.

In Si Sa Ket province’s Chong Sa Ngam checkpoint yesterday, security and customs officials tightened controls as they feared smuggling of cigarettes and alcohol from Cambodia into Thailand in the wake of the tax rise.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30326950

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-09-18

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How long until they roll this back or are compelled to modify it in some way ?

It's targeting what appears to be all sorts of foreign goods which originate from within the ASEAN block but not the Thai products. This is a very clear example of targeted taxation and favouritism towards domestic products.

I wonder how many international trade treaties they're breaking with this very quickly announced / implemented law.

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

It's targeting what appears to be all sorts of foreign goods which originate from within the ASEAN block but not the Thai products. This is a very clear example of targeted taxation and favouritism towards domestic products.

I wonder how many international trade treaties they're breaking with this very quickly announced / implemented law.

I guess you can see it as something good too.

" PMTL wanted to move towards a smoke-free future and supported a tax policy based on the principle of tobacco harm-reduction that encourages smokers to switch from cigarettes to less harmful alternatives, such as noncombustible tobacco products, he said. "

And the 5,000baht fine for e-cigarettes is also an encouragement.:stoner:

33 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

no mention is made in the main article about another viable alternative; namely, brewing your own (beer)...

It wasn't mentioned because it's illegal without a license, and there is practically no chance at all of getting a license.

It's what is commonly referred to as a "non tariff trade barrier" Basically it's protectionism.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

"PMTL wanted to move towards a smoke-free future..."

Sure and pigs will fly. Spin doctors at it again! :post-4641-1156693976:

I wonder if the extra raised revenue will be put into health care? :whistling: Somehow I doubt it.

Some "selective" purchasing will see the monies end up in the pockets of the powerful/rich. Cynical comment maybe but I don't wear 'rose tinted' spectacles.

I think things will probably start  today or they might be worried about selling old stock

My local shop 50 mtrs away hasn't put up yet but one of her Relo's charged the new price & came over to house & gave me the money back

= Krong Thip smokes 86 bht = New price 93 bht

11 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

"PMTL wanted to move towards a smoke-free future..."

Sure and pigs will fly. Spin doctors at it again! :post-4641-1156693976:

I wonder if the extra raised revenue will be put into health care? :whistling: Somehow I doubt it.

Some "selective" purchasing will see the monies end up in the pockets of the powerful/rich. Cynical comment maybe but I don't wear 'rose tinted' spectacles.

Health care of the Generals Club

3 hours ago, davehowden said:

" PMTL wanted to move towards a smoke-free future "

Strange statement for a tobacco company to make ??

Not at all in my eyes. they are being sarcastic and throwing sand in the public eyes as they know with certainty it would NEVER happened.

1 hour ago, YetAnother said:

no mention is made in the main article about another viable alternative; namely, brewing your own (beer); my friends and i are seriously considering this route; serious enough to look into buying the required equipment such as an extra refrig

It's Illegal to Brew you're own beer in Thailand,       

***The law was updated in 2016. See below for details***

A new law passed by the National Legislative Assembly in December 2016 raised the maximum penalty for illegal production to 100,000 baht or a prison sentence of six months, or both. The maximum fine for selling illegal beer was raised to 50,000 baht.

20 minutes ago, renaissanc said:

If anyone believes the nonsense, which Philip Morris Thailand Limited (PMTL) is saying,  they must have forgotten to put their brain in this morning.

Check this Google link if you don't believe them. 

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=philip+morris+e+cig&oq=philip+morris+e&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0l5.17221j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

3 hours ago, newatthis said:

" PMTL wanted to move towards a smoke-free future and supported a tax policy based on the principle of tobacco harm-reduction that encourages smokers to switch from cigarettes to less harmful alternatives, such as noncombustible tobacco products, he said. "

And the 5,000baht fine for e-cigarettes is also an encouragement.:stoner:

Its a lot more than 5000b fine for smoking an e cig on the streets of Pattaya as a friend of mine found out to his cost

6 hours ago, ukrules said:

I have wondered that myself as there is a free trade agreement with Australia and I believe New Zealand yet wines of a comparable quality cost 100 percent more

I suspect that they give the tax another name and the countries concerned don't seem interested

There is no wine industry here to speak of so it's hardly to protect producers just blatant revenue raising