Why do you read or post on TV? Is it for the same reasons as when you first started?

inThailand

I read with amazement how persons without any "dog in the hunt" put their 2 cents in on a matter that has absolutely no bearing on their life. Or how they really think they are going to change someone else's mind or opinion with their anger filled comments. 

I also get a rise out of the fact that many are so ignorant on certain subjects they think that plagiarism from Google is going to make them sound intelligent.

To sum it up, I read it for pure entertainment value. 

I read with amazement how persons without any "dog in the hunt" put their 2 cents in on a matter that has absolutely no bearing on their life. Or how they really think they are going to change someone else's mind or opinion with their anger filled comments. 

I also get a rise out of the fact that many are so ignorant on certain subjects they think that plagiarism from Google is going to make them sound intelligent.

To sum it up, I read it for pure entertainment value. 

Loved the Google comment,  especially when its about weapons, guns and the like. Wannabe SAS,or Rangers.

Because wherever you are -- and I happen to be in Thailand -- you will have to deal with a***holes in this life and I find it much easier to deal with them here than face-to-face. I know some/many will say the same about me, but hey, it's just a website.

Edited by JLCrab

• 2 weeks later...

I first started because I found most posters to be funny but uninformed. and their posts were a laugh.

I started posting to try and get some sort of intelligent conversation. That was like hitting my head against a wall.

Now I post to show how much smarter I really am compared to the average poster.

I still get a good laugh at the guys who post links to support what they say. Makes me wonder how do they have the time to research so much and also post every hour. Sometimes I think they must have a research team doing their finding of things to link too.Either that or do not have a life of their own and live for forums.

joined many years ago to pic the brains of the pig farmers,

after moving part time here ( i still work) i carried on and often put my 2 pence worth in the farming section as i was from farming stock just didnt know much about pigs,

have enjoyed my time here on TV, yes there are some arsholes on here, but there is in any wake of life,

but most i f$$king hate the grammer police, 

and do i spend more time on here? i come on here more when im at work bored in the office as now, 5,37 in the uk just getting ready to leave site after another 12 hours grind,

Still here for the same reasons as when I started. TVF can be fun, entertaining and educational.

And above all: Posting on TVF prolongs your life. There are members pushing 50 to 70'000 posts. They must be 300 years old (at least).
Cheers.

1. Why do many Thaivisa readers and posters spend so much time on here?

A lot are retired, I would imagine, and have time on their hands

2. Is it for the same reason(s) as when you first visited this website?

Partly, came for the visa info., stay for that and the Thai news; the rest is just me meandering for no good reason really.

3. Do you spend more time before or now?

More time now, too much meandering.

19 hours ago, pigeonjake said:

but most i f$$king hate the grammer police, 

I could never understand why this forum is a free-for-all that allows posters to spar with one another about most things and positively encourages Thai bashing for everything, but draws the line at comments on English usage by other posters from English speaking countries ... although of course it's always open season for bashing Thai English usage. 

Your misspelling of "grammar" aside,  you hate people who comment on your English usage, but have no problem with all the relentless bashing of Thais and Thailand by the self-appointed farang  who act as Thai Culture ( or Thai education, business, religion, political) Police??

Certainly people who want to come to Thailand to teach English ( i.e. have a free holiday) or who make a point out of proclaiming themselves to be native English speakers ought to be prepared for a little push-back when they can't cobble together a coherent, grammatically correct comment.

Definitely I'm spending less time on TV than I did before. It once was a good source of useful information (and still is to some extent regarding up-to-date immigration news), but now it's main purpose seems to be to provide a platform for racist whining/whingeing.

Edited by Suradit69

43 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

I could never understand why this forum is a free-for-all that allows posters to spar with one another about most things and positively encourages Thai bashing for everything, but draws the line at comments on English usage by other posters from English speaking countries ... although of course it's always open season for bashing Thai English usage. 

Your misspelling of "grammar" aside,  you hate people who comment on your English usage, but have no problem with all the relentless bashing of Thais and Thailand by the self-appointed farang  who act as Thai Culture ( or Thai education, business, religion, political) Police??

Certainly people who want to come to Thailand to teach English ( i.e. have a free holiday) or who make a point out of proclaiming themselves to be native English speakers ought to be prepared for a little push-back when they can't cobble together a coherent, grammatically correct comment.

Definitely I'm spending less time on TV than I did before. It once was a good source of useful information (and still is to some extent regarding up-to-date immigration news), but now it's main purpose seems to be to provide a platform for racist whining/whingeing.

please point out to me in all the years ive been on here where i have had a go at thai bashing.

and what gives you the idea i teach english,? im a welding inspector currently at work,

ive never ever said or proclaimed to be better then anyone ever, and another thing i have openly explained why i cant spell many time, so you want to keep having a go at me if it make you feel better, crack on

I first joined to get information on life in Thailand from expats and experts

i soon learned to separate genuine info from mickey taken members.

I think those in control of Thai visa need to lighten up and take the finger off the

remove button, after all its for the members entertainment.

I initially joined to find out what was actually happening in Thailand in a language I understood. There are a lot of good members on here who have some good advice to give and are very helpful. If you only look at a news stories on crime/politics though you are inevitability going to get the haters and apologists bickering. 

I joined for information on visas etc.

Now I'm on it for information about anything really !!, DIY, Internet providers, immigration, travel, where to find things in general.

Plus, good conversation on food, comedy, television, music etc.

I do try to put back as much as I gain and hopefully I have helped someone along the way.

I steer clear of the argumentative threads, after all if I wanted to have an argument every day I would have stayed with the " ex" !!

Edited by Andrew Dwyer

Sometimes I am seeking information. Other times, if it's a field where I have knowledge, I explain it.

Sometimes I simply cannot resist the temptation placed in front of me by people who think they are God's gift to the human race. On a very few occasions, they've proved it.

IMHO Crossy and Ubon Joe are valuable resources in their respective fields of expertise. Take a bow, guys.

Long time lurker here!

I generally read with a morbid fascination, waiting to see how long it takes

for the stock comments like TIT, references to brown envelopes (Thailand must be

a world leader in the usage of these stationary items)

"Obvious suicide" is another, the poster assuming that they've hit comedy heights with

that old chestnut. And it is always supported by many "likes"

Generalisations of Thai behaviour is another I "enjoy" 

There seem to be a lot of genuinely unhappy people posting here, and it's good to vent, but a

little originality in the moans would be better than a bitter one liner!

Having said all of that, I do like popping in here and being outraged and have learned plenty 

about the country, it's immigration rules and ex Pat life.