Video: Pensioner pole-axed by PVC pipe in Pathum Thani

webfact

Video: Pensioner pole-axed by PVC pipe in Pathum Thani

P1240496.jpg

Picture: TNews

A 65 year old pensioner was killed instantly when an improperly secured PVC pipe swung out from the back of a pick-up truck and hit him in the head.

The female driver of the pick-up had just been to buy the four meter long four inch diameter pipe at a shop. Staff there had tied it on but clearly not well enough.

Municipal council CCTV in the Sam Khok area of Pathum Thani showed the pipe swing out. A man called Somsak Phosri, 61, was riding a Honda bike and managed to duck just in time.

But his friend Chao Jaikham, 65, riding pillion, was struck on the right side of the head.

01(145).jpg

Picture: TNews

Police and Por Teck Tung foundation medics found him dead at the scene with a severe head wound and broken ankle.

The four meter pipe had broken into a couple of two meter sections.

The remaining part was still attached to the pick-up. The driver Preeyanut Uamsin, 51, said she had no idea anything had happened. She was flagged down by bystanders some 100 meters along the road.

The accident happened yesterday afternoon in Soi Pathum Thani - Wat Kai Tia Sai Nai in Sam Khok district. All those involved come from Sam Khok.

Police are investigating further examining more CCTV footage.

Source: TNews

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-09-20

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Poor guy. I'd be thoroughly checking & testing this driver

- how on earth could she not notice the pipe in in the wing mirror (can probably guess)

- in fact it produtes almost level with the door frame/driver seat

- driving on the wrong side of the road prior to the crash, moves back across to central/left side just before incident

- note minimal, if any, reaction or breaking to what must have been a reasonable impact. 

1 hour ago, gk10002000 said:

wow.  But the biker didn't see or consider stopping or veering off sooner?

Thais when there riding bikes or driving cars dont look they got far more important things to be thinking about. sad but true, as for the drive the same could be said for her, when ive had a pipe like that in my pick up ive spent as much time looking that the pipe is still secured or had the pipe cut in 2 bits.

she said she never herd anything when the pipe hit him.... B S.

Edited by catman20

58 minutes ago, LazySlipper said:

Message to self:

Always triple check what the idiots at the hardware shops have done before leaving.

Well if you don't bring enough bungee cords or rope the shop is likely to do a half assed job with strips of throwaway plastic. I try to keep sufficient in the truck but each time she goes to the village it all vanishes.

How does a nation have such a monopoly on stupidity or are there other similarly goofy countries?

11 minutes ago, cardinalblue said:

This makes great reality TV...

will the the staff be compensated for loss of face?

will the deceased be cited for not wearing a helmet?

who will compensate the driver for loss of property?

what a great court case!

yeah but there won't be much in court.  A payout, and all will most likely be settled.  Criminal charges don't seem to be filed much over there

Unless the driver was sniffing glue there's no way that could go unnoticed. Just to lazy to stop & secure it. Cut & dry vehicular manslaughter.

I've always worried about unsecured or to heavy loads while riding motorcycles throughout this country. I know a gal who lost her life from a careless driver with a load of steel rebar. She loved life & loved her son and was taken in the blink of an eye.

Lot of people to blame, hardward store workers, driver and the guy not having a helmet on..  In the end,  basic rule of driving which here in Thailand isn't important, what is important is get them their license as fast as they can.

All the driver had to do was double check her load before driving off.  A rule in commercial driving is after a mile or so, pull off the road and check the load to make sure it hasn't come loose.  RIP

8 minutes ago, payanak said:

No monopoly.  The Philippines is no different.

Even the UK, just watch a few of the Police fly-on-the-wall shows to see the mind-bending stupidity of some road users.

No mention of the store in question. Did the pipe move, or was it secured like that from the get go?

I have some small ratchet load straps that live in the truck at all times, the guys at the DIY places are often amazed that such things exist (and that a farang would have them). They are even more surprised when I tell them I bought them in their store :smile:

RIP to a poor chap who was just minding his own business.

44 minutes ago, cardinalblue said:

This makes great reality TV...

will the the staff be compensated for loss of face?

will the deceased be cited for not wearing a helmet?

who will compensate the driver for loss of property?

what a great court case!

Sorry.  Not funny but does make some points.  No one will be found to blame or perhaps just one all purpose scapegoat.

The first problem, and the main problem, is securing something at an angle inn the bed of a truck. It's insane. The wind acts as a very strong force pushing it sideways. You have to secure something like that straight out the back with one end resting against the cab bottom and the other end resting on the raised tailgate or one end resting against the tailgate bottom with the other end sticking up above the cab. Wind force in either of these instances will not be as much of a factor because it is running the length of the pipe not across it.

Nonetheless, it must still be secured properly.

"Staff there had tied it on but clearly not well enough"  Not even close to accurate,, They DID tie it on, "well enough" obviously, as it broke at where it was tied,, what they DIDN'T do is tie it off, either over the roof, (the owner was probably worried about scuffs in the paint),,, Out the back of the bed, laying on the gate, or tie it down the side, length of the truck, as in hanging it below the door mirror, or laying it on the door mirror on the passenger side, (Also could scuff the paint)... ALL involved, the staff, and the vehicle owner HAD to have known it was unsafe, sticking out the side,, but as usual, they didn't give 2 sh*t's about anyone else being endangered,,, A quick viewing of the CCTV at the supply house will tell wether they tied it off like that, or it shifted, But I think it's pretty clear....

Edited by Adeeos

Fact is she was in control of the vehicle with an insecure load and killed him. She should go to jail for a very long time. 

But becauss this is Thailand she will not and people will continue to drive and do stupid things on the road that cause deaths like this as there are no consequences. 

26 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I have some small ratchet load straps that live in the truck at all times, the guys at the DIY places are often amazed that such things exist (and that a farang would have them).

X2. I always get a blank look when they see me securing my load, sometimes a smile.

1 minute ago, wow64 said:

Fact is she was in control of the vehicle with an insecure load and killed him. She should go to jail for a very long time. 

But becauss this is Thailand she will not and people will continue to drive and do stupid things on the road that cause deaths like this as there are no consequences. 

Yes she was responsible for the load, but the motor bike driver may as well just ride straight into the car

Just now, BEVUP said:

Yes she was responsible for the load, but the motor bike driver may as well just ride straight into the car

Would not be the easiest things to see.. being blue it may blend into the back ground.. If it was coming at me on a bike from the video it looks like all he could have done was ditch the bike.