Marrying a "rich" westerner may not be a "dream come true" - says BBC

webfact

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, steven100 said:

why is mama looking so unhappy ....   ?    is it because he looks 85 ..

he must have borrowed that suit, sleeves too short, pant legs too short  -  and he is definately older than her Mom.

2 hours ago, TheGhostWithin said:

While I appreciate your comment inferring that it is OK to be ignorant of the culture of your son/daughter in law comes from, I try to learn the basics of any language when I visit a country.

When I decided I would at some point be involved to a degree beyond a night or two with a Thai lady, I began learning the culture and the language. I did this by first off going to the place in the Lonely Planet which said "don't bother going here, there is nothing here for foreigners and there aren't many foreigners here". Upon returning to New Zealand, I actively sought out Thai people, made friends with them and developed my Thai language skills. I listened to Music, and found things to bond myself with Thai people when travelling. I learnt Khaen to a basic level, and since then have also taken on the Woad and Kluey. I show an interest in cooking, particularly in the regional specialty of where I am. If there are two things I have seen make Thai people proud, it is their food and their music.

And yes, when foreigners come here locals expect them to speak English. A friend has a son who is married to a Malaysian, so he has learnt Bahasa to speak to her parents. Its a sign of respect.

When foreigners get a visa for anything beyond a tourist visa in Australia, they must sit an English Language test to access their eligibility.

It is about respecting culture on a global scale and absolute respect if your life is touched closely by someone that speaks another language.

Kudos to the Son of a Friend - BTW Bahasa is listed as the 2d easiest language to learn, right after Pidgeon English of Papua Nieu Guinea.   I lived in Indonesia and after about four months could converse quite well in Bahasa once you learn the structure  -  unlike Thai and or Vietnamese they are pretty difficult for any westerner to fully grasp.

Most of the guys i know seem to have happy marriages, the ones that seem to be a problem is where the guy comes over for a two week holiday falls for a bar girl and marries her without any form of dating 

myself i have been married over 20 years ,met the wife while running a business in BKK and we courted for some time ,much like i did with my first wife (and the 2nd) ,i think the difference is that her family is not poor but in business most speak english and have traveled abroad . i seem to be treated just like a part of the family,and always have been , if you take it slow and dont rush into anything ,then no reason why it cant work out ok.

27 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

I wonder why it is all one way and there is no influx of farang women looking to support an idle Thai man and his extended family and go to leave in an impoverished Isaan village where everyone has their hands outstretched for largesse.  

they go to the Gambia lol

46 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

An Old Father is better than No Father - I say Bullshi'ite to your claim of Child abuse??  That's a stretch  of the imagination, I'm 67 and adopted two kids - let's just say they will never want for anything the rest of their lives.  BTW I had my vasectomy at 38 while in the Army, didn;t want any accidents.

Except for a father. Read my post again. It is not about the material things you can leave behind for them.

21 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

I wonder why it is all one way and there is no influx of farang women looking to support an idle Thai man and his extended family and go to leave in an impoverished Isaan village where everyone has their hands outstretched for largesse.  

Because men have 2 heads :coffee1:

30 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

Except for a father. Read my post again. It is not about the material things you can leave behind for them.

I'll give you that, but having grown up from age Eleven without a father myself, I see it as no big deal  what you instill in children is obsorbed in their early years, and hopefully carries on thru their teens and young adulthood.  If they grew up without a father figure at any time (as most Thai kids do) they have nothing to build on..........they are eight & nine years old and have bank accounts already,  can't be touched by anyone until age 21, that nest egg will help them carry on when I am gone.  In the meantime, we will enjoy each others companionship.  Anyone can father a child, but not everyone can be a Father.

1 minute ago, TunnelRat69 said:

I'll give you that, but having grown up from age Eleven without a father myself, I see it as no big deal  what you instill in children is obsorbed in their early years, and hopefully carries on thru their teens and young adulthood.  If they grew up without a father figure at any time (as most Thai kids do) they have nothing to build on..........they are eight & nine years old and have bank accounts already,  can't be touched by anyone until age 21, that nest egg will help them carry on when I am gone.  In the meantime, we will enjoy each others companionship.  Anyone can father a child, but not everyone can be a Father.

Fair comment.

7 hours ago, smotherb said:

It is certainly not anyone else's problem if your lady worked in a bar. However, to conclude that a poster is lying to us or to himself just because he says his lady did not work in a bar seems demeaning. If that is their fantasy, so be it, let them have it. However, if it is true; there is harm. I took two Asian wives back to the US--Vietnamese and Filipina--both were talked about as being bar girls by friends as well as relatives. Neither had worked in the sex-trade, but that was still the uninformed opinion of the masses. Fortunately, both were intelligent and capable and the negative opinions soon changed. The point being; the overwhelming consensus/stereotype of Asian women being whores when with Western men is more disconcerting when it is not true than when it is true.  

good post for a change:thumbsup: 

8 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Maybe your wife/gf/bar girl is a proud woman who wants to work and contribute to the partnership... 

How about that ?

Old fashioned is not always the best.. Society progresses but some people don't !!

Maybe your wife/gf/bar girl is a proud woman who wants to work and contribute to the partnership... 

How about that ?

would not have any of the above, staying single and keeping my life simple.

How about that  ? 

7 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Post of the year for me. I apply the same principles as yourself and as I would in any country anywhere. 

I set out my ground rules from day one take it or leave it and we are now 3 years on and things are great. She knows irrespective of how other ferangs wish to behave and treat their partners, showering them with riches, or alternatively treating them like pish, I will not change my morals or behaviours. I am confident long term it will work. If not I will walk having had some great memories. 

She respects you and loves you, as for the rest, well, whatever, and good to hear you stand your ground with her supporting you, and like you said, if she don't, you walk and remember the memories.

8 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

What is wrong with working ? Is it something one should be ashamed ? Which planet do you come from ?

no one should not be ashamed of working. which planet do i come from?

the planet where all successful business men come from where they retied at 40 years of age :smile:

2 hours ago, bazza73 said:

I would much rather have a 40 yo Thai woman with some life experience.  A 14 yo with no education, life skills or experience - no thanks.

And if you think getting hooked up with some 14 yo gives you exclusivity, forget it. Children experiment, and she would test her sexual range with whatever is handy. You won't be able to keep up, pun fully intended.

IMHO you must be a very insecure person to even consider such a relationship. Mature women frighten you?

Obviously women per se frighten him as he seems more attracted to children. 

58 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Negril. Home of the big bamboo.

The Gambia - Home of the Bumsters and big fat british women with one on their arm, like a trophy.  Can't really blame them, their husbands go to Pattaya and do the same thing.:whistling:

2 hours ago, bazza73 said:

I would much rather have a 40 yo Thai woman with some life experience.  A 14 yo with no education, life skills or experience - no thanks.

And if you think getting hooked up with some 14 yo gives you exclusivity, forget it. Children experiment, and she would test her sexual range with whatever is handy. You won't be able to keep up, pun fully intended.

IMHO you must be a very insecure person to even consider such a relationship. Mature women frighten you?

I think at that age she would be easy to control. I could form her personality the way I want. And would know she had no kids, or diseases. all the way around a win win situation!

4 minutes ago, moondoggie said:

I think at that age she would be easy to control. I could form her personality the way I want. And would know she had no kids, or diseases. all the way around a win win situation!

Put down the bottle..

2 hours ago, JLCrab said:

Thai Civil Code:

Section 1448. A marriage can take place only when the man and woman have completed their seventeenth year of age. But the Court may, in case of having appropriate reason, allow them to marry before attaining such age.

My friend from england just married a 15 yr old girl from Burma. But he had parental consent. And they are very happy together.

36 minutes ago, moondoggie said:

Why don't you just buy one of those rubber dolls? Much cheaper for you.

On 9/20/2017 at 2:37 PM, OmarZaid said:

Not an Adam's apple .... more like a goitre ... but since its asymmetric, might be a cancer  - should be checked -- if anyone knows this person, please advise them

I agree completely with everything the Farang in the video said :sad:

Re goitre, I figured out some years ago that inland Thais are notoriously low on Iodine (and Magnesium).  I was trying to find out why they have the most migraines, and the most breast cancer.  Conversely, Japan has just about the lowest, that's what gave me the first hint as to what to research.

50 minutes ago, moondoggie said:

My friend from england just married a 15 yr old girl from Burma. But he had parental consent. And they are very happy together.

There are some seriously sick people around these days 15 year olds are still kids and should allowed to grow up, so he will not be going back home for a while. Sex with a 15 year old in the UK = jail time

22 minutes ago, wakeupplease said:

There are some seriously sick people around these days 15 year olds are still kids and should allowed to grow up, so he will not be going back home for a while. Sex with a 15 year old in the UK = jail time

He lives full time in Mae Sai. Its been a year now. But they still act like a honeymoon couple! He is legally married, So no problem back in the uk.

Archived