I tried livng very cheap for 1 month

georgegeorgia

Interesting posts.  As for the moto taxis, the big appeal to me of Pattaya was the baht bus. Gosh, they used to come and go and you get on and off anywhere you want.  To me, as a travel light person, those were fantastic.  I would take a moto taxi every now and then if I was in a hurry or going a bit off the path, say a quick ride up to the big Buddha or to the dark side to a place I knew

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Tofer said:

The expression that springs to mind is 'you can take the Arab out of the desert but not the desert out of the Arab'.... 

As as you say, accept it and live a stressless life in LOS.

overcome.jpg.a850c50897cda64de86c1485a4fce050.jpg

45 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

The sore loser note has now been sounded so I assume that we're done. :biggrin: Well, today was a good day here in our cesspool. I'm looking forward to another tomorrow when the challenge will be to see if I can get some smiles, maybe even a laugh, outta the ladies at the TOT office. I managed to do so once; in fact I may the only farang in the history of Pattaya ever to have had a pleasant experience there. (Correct me if I'm wrong, posters.) Can there be a repeat performance??? If so I'll celebrate w/ a cold one afterwards. If not--just go home and trust that my internet will soon regain the reliability it once had.

No debate there. I've been to that office many times as I had a landline (yikes! who has landlines these days? - just cut it off 6 months ago as it hardly ever worked). A more surly group of staff are hard to find, even in Pattaya. They really dislike it when you interrupt them on their cellphones, or when they are having personal conversations with their coworkers. 

You're doing very well to get a smile out of those staff. Well done!!  

On ‎26‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 6:41 PM, tropo said:

I don't have any complaint here at all. If VN is so great, why are you still lurking here? I'm sure there are plenty of disadvantages too, but they won't be mentioned by people trying to promote another country as being a better place to live.

To be honest, for all the disadvantages you claim, I'm quite content with my life here. There's good and bad anywhere.

If it was only my decision I'd already be there but as it is I'll have to wait until the new condo is completed the back end of 2019.

On ‎27‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 1:09 PM, JSixpack said:

What's the purpose of just repeating the same old complaints (oh--"points") here in the echo chamber that've been repeated by farangs for decades?

The purpose is to keep Thai Visa in business!!!

There'd be nothing to discuss (fill the days) otherwise.

4 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

If it was only my decision I'd already be there but as it is I'll have to wait until the new condo is completed the back end of 2019.

Understood. Maybe it's just me, but when I left the Philippines to move to Pattaya I stopped posting in the Philippines forums. I didn't stand by to complain about all the problems there and believe me, problems in the Philippines are 20x the problems here. I could have a field day - complaining about them all.

There seems to be some magic attraction to the Pattaya forum. Everyone likes to post here, even if they're not here anymore, or have been here and hate the place. Can't you find a cheap rental in VN until your new condo is built, and save yourself the pain of living in Pattaya... and start posting on a VN expats forum.

6 minutes ago, tropo said:

Understood. Maybe it's just me, but when I left the Philippines to move to Pattaya I stopped posting in the Philippines forums. I didn't stand by to complain about all the problems there and believe me, problems in the Philippines are 20x the problems here. I could have a field day - complaining about them all.

There seems to be some magic attraction to the Pattaya forum. Everyone likes to post here, even if they're not here anymore, or have been here and hate the place. Can't you find a cheap rental in VN until your new condo is built, and save yourself the pain of living in Pattaya... and start posting on a VN expats forum.

Lived in Manila for 4 years so I know what you're saying.

I didn't say it's a pain living in Pattaya (it's been my home for 22 years), although the idiot drivers get me going (and there's as many Farang idiot drivers as Thais). I was just pointing out some advantages of VN which has some of the same disadvantages as Thailand.

What was getting to me here was the new visa hassles which I will soon hopefully resolve with a retirement extension. Even when I move to VN I'll be back in Pattaya regularly (as I am in VN regularly now) so can continue to provide input into my 'home' forum.

Most expats don't drive here. Baht buses are fantastic.

90 day reporting is literally a few minutes , the last time I was there I lost my place in the que because they called my number 3 seconds after they gave me the ticket lol

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Just now, LongTimeLurker said:

Hmmm good luck.  2 years?

Hope it does not turn out to be another sad " my condo never got finished" story.

24 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

I didn't say it's a pain living in Pattaya (it's been my home for 22 years), although the idiot drivers get me going (and there's as many Farang idiot drivers as Thais). 

22 years and you make a nonsense statement  about Farangs like that. :shock1:

I would say about 100- 1 ratio, is more like it, after 20 years driving and riding here.

Hmmm good luck.  2 years?

Hope it does not turn out to be another sad " my condo never got finished" story.

The odds are so small they would better winning the lottery.

Hundreds of thousands of built condos.. Due diligence as always. Choose a reputable developer and your one in million shot of losing out is eliminated

The last 2 condos I bought the deposit was paid in monthly installments so you can go out and check the progress if you wanted and most developers offer this option

Most renters are clueless though usually repeating over and over what they read on the forums

It's perfectly fine to rip up millions of baht renting but buy and your condo will be stolen or never finished..

LMAO!

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

If you are older as most people are on this forum, why does it matter if you rip up millions of baht, you're going to die soon (relatively) and you don't need the money then.  Buying a condo is probably better in financial terms but it's more hassle and it's more restrictive.  You can't move as easily.  If something goes wrong the money invested is higher.  What if somebody builds another highrise right across the street so your view is gone and your property value plummets.  What if the visa requirements change or the condo market bursts or nobody pays the service charges and the property falls into a state of disrepair.  I agree it's still better to buy economically even considering these possibilities, but it's more hassle, and the hassle is needless if you can rent, especially when the rents are so low.

1 hour ago, InMyShadow said:

Most renters are clueless though usually repeating over and over what they read on the forums

Perhaps you're the clueless one...

There are many reasons why people will rent and in many cases, it's far better than buying, but to explain it all would be beyond the scope of this thread. My main reason, in a nutshell - I don't like condos.

Having said that, if I was going to buy one I would not buy off plan... which has nothing to do with what I've read on forums. You may save money, but you can probably get a better deal looking around for fire sales from people who jumped in too fast.

50 minutes ago, tropo said:

I've read on forums. You may save money, but you can probably get a better deal looking around for fire sales from people who jumped in too fast.

Hi Tropo, Do you mean people who have jumped off too fast? But seriously, when I visit my mate in his very nice condo  I find it very clostrophobic and insular, and I feel relief on leaving. I'm wondering if that is a common reaction amongst Condo dwellers.

1 hour ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

If you are older as most people are on this forum, why does it matter if you rip up millions of baht, you're going to die soon (relatively) and you don't need the money then.  Buying a condo is probably better in financial terms but it's more hassle and it's more restrictive.  You can't move as easily.  If something goes wrong the money invested is higher.  What if somebody builds another highrise right across the street so your view is gone and your property value plummets.  What if the visa requirements change or the condo market bursts or nobody pays the service charges and the property falls into a state of disrepair.  I agree it's still better to buy economically even considering these possibilities, but it's more hassle, and the hassle is needless if you can rent, especially when the rents are so 

23 hours ago, Tofer said:

As as you say, accept it and live a stressless life in LOS.

Unless you live in Pattaya and are not called Naam....

off topic but for the record: i don't live in Pattaya but in my home which happens to be located in the outskirts of Pattaya.

2 minutes ago, Naam said:

off topic but for the record: i don't live in Pattaya but in my home which happens to be located in the outskirts of Pattaya.

With many comfortable, air-conditioned rooms, no doubt, along with a high-speed Internet connection. Life can be tough LOL.

Just now, Naam said:

after lving in a condo for a year during construction period of our home i don't envy people who live in a condo no matter whether rented or bought. but then... to each his own.

Why? Because you made a bad decision? 

If one does proper research/investigation whether renting or buying, it can be a nice quiet life. 

Due diligence can really pay off.

To each his own......

3 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

If one does proper research/investigation whether renting or buying, it can be a nice quiet life. 

To each his own......

Due diligence can prevent some problems, but it can't predict what neighbours may move in or nearby. This happened to me awhile back and moving was the only solution. It was an end unit in a line of townhouses, so I only had one neighbour. In a condo you could have one on each side, one behind, above and below. It could turn your peaceful existence around really quickly.

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

To each his own......

gimme a due diligent break man! Thai condo combined with a nice quiet life? :sick:

2 hours ago, tropo said:

Due diligence can prevent some problems, but it can't predict what neighbours may move in or nearby. This happened to me awhile back and moving was the only solution. It was an end unit in a line of townhouses, so I only had one neighbour. In a condo you could have one on each side, one behind, above and below. It could turn your peaceful existence around really quickly.

wife against my advice selected a penthouse, i wanted a house with a pool (half the rent of the penthouse). but she insisted on sea view. we got sea view and 23½/7 noise from tenants who seem to hang pictures as pastime, replacing floors or bathroom tiles or banging doors (even the latter we heard). and walking half a mile to the elevators we had to pass two dozen shoeboxes with open doors for cross ventilation and breathe in the stink of fermented whale vomit or whatever simmering on the stoves. luckily we found later a house to rent in walking distance of the construction site.

Edited by Naam

6 minutes ago, Naam said:

wife against my advice selected a penthouse, i wanted a house with a pool (half the rent of the penthouse). but she insisted on sea view. we got sea view and 23½/7 noise from tenants who seem to hang pictures as pastime, replacing floors or bathroom tiles or banging doors (even the latter we heard). and walking half a mile to the elevators we had to pass two dozen shoeboxes with open doors for cross ventilation and breathe in the stink of fermented whale vomit or whatever simmering on the stoves. luckily we found later a house to rent in walking distance of the construction site.

So due diligence would be: Don't even think about renting a condo. There are too many variables and unknowns beyond your control. If you start complaining to a Thai tenant - that's when the sparks will start to fly.

5 hours ago, tropo said:

So due diligence would be: Don't even think about renting a condo. There are too many variables and unknowns beyond your control. If you start complaining to a Thai tenant - that's when the sparks will start to fly.

Yeah, Condo building near me has some big swindle problems with the management.

5 hours ago, Naam said:

gimme a due diligent break man! Thai condo combined with a nice quiet life? :sick:

Some of them are a bit quiet, with gloomy corridors... to me, likened to a grave yard.

You can't beat breakfast in a garden mate.

6 minutes ago, fred110 said:

It's sad that you had one month holiday and wasted 3 weeks living with another man. You're not cheap, you're crazy.

That's a very good point. I agree. If you're going to travel halfway around the world on vacation you should be comfortable. There are very comfortable hotels in Pattaya available at around the 1000 baht price point. There's no excuse to live in squalor.

On 28 October 2017 at 11:57 PM, tropo said:

Houses can be just as bad, even worse, if your neighbours are a... holes, and / or the neighbourhood gets developed unsympathetically.