Immigration warns Pattaya motorbike garages against hiring foreigners

Rimmer

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 5:45 PM, jackdd said:

Probably 99% of the tourists know that they need a helmet and a driving license (international license is sufficient, you don't need a Thai license if you are in Thailand less than 3 months), they just don't care, so even if the shops told them, they would still drive like this.

You're right of course.... except when the police want to fine you and tell you that you need a Thai motorcycle license after showing them your full international license as happened to a guy in front of me at the central Pattaya police station on beach road about 1 year ago. He tried to argue in a polite manner that he was there for just 2 weeks and why did he need a Thai license to which he got the reply.... do you want to spend the night here?

14 minutes ago, darren84310 said:

You're right of course.... except when the police want to fine you and tell you that you need a Thai motorcycle license after showing them your full international license as happened to a guy in front of me at the central Pattaya police station on beach road about 1 year ago. He tried to argue in a polite manner that he was there for just 2 weeks and why did he need a Thai license to which he got the reply.... do you want to spend the night here?

Think you need your international driving permit

and your home country license.

So he may have had,   like many , incorrect documents to be on the roads of Thailand.

Also he may have been here more than 3 months !!!!!!!!!!! if they looked at his passport, or the copy he had with him,  or the hire agreement, again in correct documents. :jap:

I could be wrong. ?

Ps  I know someone that got a 700 baht fine for tax out of date

by two weeks the other day on his bike.

Greedy Plod.

Edited by stanleycoin

1 hour ago, darren84310 said:

Maybe he just had a car license and not a motorbike license? Probably you didn't verify his documents.

Of course it's possible that they are just extorting money even though he had the correct documents, but i've never had problems with my IDP in countless police checks.

On 9/26/2017 at 5:39 PM, darren84310 said:

I doubt you have the whole story. Lies and misunderstandings abound.

Once a month an old work colleague of mine comes in from BKK for a brief visit. After a late breakfast we typically sit for a couple of hours in the Red Cat bar just up from the police station to which you refer. Watching the police stopping motorcyclists there is some entertainment while knockin' back a few cold ones. 

Go do that yourself. What you'll see is police stopping both Thais and farangs. If the license/insurance/helmets/driving are in order, they're quickly sent on their way. Otherwise, they're issued a ticket and told to go inside the station to pay it. Watch carefully; no bribes are being paid. If you're really curious, you may go ask any of the "criminals" what the offence was. But let's not let mere facts get in the way of a bashfest.

If you're a motorcyclist you can reduce your chances of being stopped by riding solo; riding a smaller older bike; wearing a helmet, goes w/o saying; not driving fast; driving in the middle lane (lane split and stay beside a car or truck); and not look like tourist. As for the latter, cops have a fantastic instinct for quick detection. The chances are just much greater that a tourist won't have all quite in order. But if they do, they're quickly let go.

Big sports bikes, esp those traveling fast in the fast lane, are often stopped. Extremes draw attention: I remember a skinny bespectacled Harley driver, white beanie, skinny red pants and matching red sneakers who obviously needed a check. And cops seem to love a fat, complacent old farang fart, plaid collared shirt, cargo shorts, (white) socks and sandals, riding on big new scooter, maybe w/ bar girl on the back.

You can take evasive tactics. Saw two young Russians (I guess) on a  big sports bike, no shirts or helmets, do a quick U turn and speed into Soi 8. You can run: saw three Thai guys on old bike, no shirts or helmets, speed by the cops and ignore their warnings to stop. Cops didn't give chase or, it appeared, radio ahead. Or you may quickly pull off and park and enjoy beers & wimmen till the coast's clear. Pattaya! :smile:

Edited by JSixpack