Immigration warns Pattaya motorbike garages against hiring foreigners

Rimmer

Immigration warns Pattaya motorbike garages against hiring foreigners

image.png

PATTAYA:--Immigration police served warning to Pattaya motorcycle repair shops that foreigners are prohibited from working on bikes for a living.

A group of officers from Immigration Bureau Area 3 started with a motorbike garage across from Pattaya Hospital on Soi Buakhao, telling the owner that there have been reports foreigners are working illegally in such businesses.

Mechanic is one of the many jobs reserved by law for Thais.

No illegals were found, but police said the visit was informational and served as a warning to curb any illegal hiring practices.

Other shops along Soi Buakhao were given the same notice. Police said they would now return for snap inspections regularly and if any foreign workers are found they would be deported and blacklisted from Thailand.

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2017-09-22

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

What about them?

Touting isn't a 'reserved' occupation.

Actually it could be considered #35 - "Street Vending (or "Hawking") or even #6 - "Shop Attendance" which are in fact reserved occupations. However, I don't see "mechanic" on the list of reserved occupations (as noted below).

Many people would probably be surprised to learn that all those suits are not made by "Indians" but by Thai families working in the myriad small sewing shops scattered around the city. Wander around the area by the DayNight 2 Hotel and the TukCom parking garage. There are dozens and dozens of small sewing shops all over that area. I used to live in that area and watch assorted Indians ride up to the shops and drop off their orders and pick up the completed suits and then zip off back to their shops to sell them.

A friend of mine wanted me to come work in his motorcycle shop one time (due to my semi-coherent English skills and computer knowledge). I asked him how much he'd pay me and he told me because I was his friend, he'd give me a whopping 15 baht a day (but everyday I'd have to buy him lunch and coffee so I wasn't going to make out too well on that deal) ! 

(It was a joke of course, but I think he really did want me to work there, for free. We could have set it up legally but it wouldn't have been worth the time and effort to form a company, change Visas, get a work permit and so on, for a low paying job that might not be around long enough to even get paid.)

From the Thai Ministry of Labour (http://www.mol.go.th/en/content/page/6347):

OCCUPATIONS AND PROFESSIONS PROHIBITED FOR FOREIGN WORKERS

1.  Labour work;

2.  Agriculture, animal husbandry, forestry, or fishery, except work requiring expertise, specialized work, or farm supervision work;
3. Bricklaying, carpentry or other construction work;
4. Wood carving;
5.  Driving motor vehicles, driving a non-mechanically propelled carrier or driving a mechanically propelled carrier, except for piloting international aircraft;
6.  Shop/Outlet attendance;
7.  Auction;
8.  Supervising, auditing or providing services in accounting, except internal auditing on occasions;
9.  Cutting or polishing diamond or precious stones;
10. Haircutting, hairdressing or beauty treatment;
11. Cloth weaving by hand;
12. Mat weaving or utensil making from reeds, rattan, hemp, straw or bamboo pellicle;
13. Mulberry paper making by hand;
14. Lacquerware making;
15. Making Thai musical instruments;
16. Nielloware making;
17. Gold ornaments, silverware or pink gold making;
18. Bronze ware making;
19. Thai doll making;
20. Mattress and quilt blanket making;
21. Alms bowl making;
22. Hand making of silk products;
23. Buddha image making;
24. Knife making;
25. Paper or cloth umbrella making;
26. Shoemaking;
27. Hat making;
28. Brokerage or agency work, except broker or agency work in international trade;
29. Civil engineering works concerning design and calculation, organization, research, project planning, testing, construction supervision or advising, excluding work requiring special expertise;
30. Architectural work concerning designing, drawing of plans, cost estimating, construction directing or advising;
31. Dressmaking;
32. Pottery or ceramic ware making;
33. Cigarette rolling by hand;
34. Tour guide or sightseeing tour operation;
35. Street vending;
36. Typesetting of Thai characters;
37.  Silk reeling and twisting by hand;
38.  Clerical and secretarial work;
39.  Legal service or lawsuit work;

1 hour ago, Rimmer said:

Mechanic is one of the many jobs reserved by law for Thais.

If mechanic is on the restricted list for foreigners, (I don't believe this) will the Thai immigration police come and arrest all the pit crews when the MotoGP event comes to Buriram next year?

20 minutes ago, jay1980 said:

If mechanic is on the restricted list for foreigners, (I don't believe this) will the Thai immigration police come and arrest all the pit crews when the MotoGP event comes to Buriram next year?

Good point, I for one want to see the Thai tyre change crew at work...

very interesting:

Papers made in Thailand are an exquisite addition to any portfolio. Papers originating in Thailand are known by many names, such as, mulberry paper, saa paper, rice paper and kozo paper. Thai papers are made using the bark of the mulberry tree, a rapidly growing tree common in Southeast Asia. The fibers of the mulberry bark are longer than traditional paper making pulp. This makes Thai Mulberry/Kozo Papers stronger and more durable that most other papers while remaining extremely lightweight. The longer fibers also provide texture and dimension not found in other papers. When torn, Thai Mulberry Paper feathers leaving a nice deckled edge.

1 hour ago, kg1947 said:

HOW ABOUT the multitude of TAILOR shops ,

INDIANrestaurants , etc. ??

they're ALL OVER  Pattaya Klang between

the BEACH RD. and 3rd Road.

You are not aware that these "Indians" are naturalized Thai citizens (2nd, 3rd generation or so) who speak Thai fluently?

Similar to the "Chinese" who hold a big stake in all kind of businesses (banking, retail etc. pp.).

The "Indians" are all over the country, even here in the sticks.

In the tailor business and bicycle shops (from observation, two "Indian" bicycle shops around).

35 minutes ago, jmccarty said:

very interesting:

Papers made in Thailand are an exquisite addition to any portfolio. Papers originating in Thailand are known by many names, such as, mulberry paper, saa paper, rice paper and kozo paper. Thai papers are made using the bark of the mulberry tree, a rapidly growing tree common in Southeast Asia. The fibers of the mulberry bark are longer than traditional paper making pulp. This makes Thai Mulberry/Kozo Papers stronger and more durable that most other papers while remaining extremely lightweight. The longer fibers also provide texture and dimension not found in other papers. When torn, Thai Mulberry Paper feathers leaving a nice deckled edge.

sorry paper making ?  w.t.h. has that got to do with repairing  motorbikes >>>

1 minute ago, Lamkyong said:

sorry paper making ?  w.t.h. has that got to do with repairing  motorbikes >>>

Read the banned list above.

A friend of mine used to restore old 1960's and older motorcycles as a hobby.  When he got too many done, his wife would make him sell them.  It was not his job, or how he made a living. He left Thailand anyway but I will send him a stern note warning him if he ever comes back.  

ASEAN LABOUR agreement concerning free movement of labour etc has never been materialised. Plenty of meetings and announcements on labour market integration etc etc....all loads of bulls.Still you need a work permit to work in each other's country.

1 hour ago, jay1980 said:

" Thai feds faced big problems trying to I D the Suzuki pit crew "

_20170922_074636.JPG

21 minutes ago, kaorop said:

Problem is, around 80-90% of thai "mechanaics" arent skilled enough to actually be called 'mechanic', butcher or 1st year apprentice is more apt...

I think you are generalizing and under estimating Thai mechanics.

Go to a Bike Week and look around, see what Thai hobby mechanics can do to their bikes.

I am very happy with my bike and car mechanics here.

For the 89,354th time, the law is whatever the authority on scene at the moment says it is.  And what he says it is, is in the nature of an opening bid.

It would be interesting to hear what happens if one of these cops actually discovers a farang working as a mechanic, who can actually produce a WP.

Edited by hawker9000

1 hour ago, jay1980 said:

Yea an' Thai truck drivers better get ready for some big disappointment also if they think they are gonna get behind the wheel of one of these babies .. 

_20170922_080916.JPG

2 hours ago, Rimmer said:

No illegals were found, but police said the visit was informational and served as a warning to curb any illegal hiring practices.

Ah, so if just informational they wouldn't have had any need for a warrant. Do immigration even need a warrant to look around without permission? I imagine they do. 

So they knock on your door;

Garage: "Yes?"

Immigration: "We're here to inspect your premises for illegal workers"

Garage: "Do you have a warrant for such a thing?"

Imm: "No. We just wanna come in and look around"

Garage: "Then no"

Imm" Can we come in to warn you about employing illegals?"

Garage: : "No, but I got the message. Now on your way"

31 minutes ago, maximillian said:

I think you are generalizing and under estimating Thai mechanics.

Go to a Bike Week and look around, see what Thai hobby mechanics can do to their bikes.

I am very happy with my bike and car mechanics here.

Names please !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 hours ago, Kerryd said:

However, I don't see "mechanic" on the list of reserved occupations...

1. Labour

This category is extremely broad and can be almost any type of physical work. The immigration department decides what is labour and what is not. In this case, motorbike mechanic is.

You can drive your own vehicle, but not for hire or reward. This is a list of occupations and professions, not a list of activities.

As an example, you can drive to Villa to get your shopping, but you can't work as a motorcycle courier for Villa to deliver other people's shopping.

I think the Ministry for labour need to go back to the drawing board as I've seen Burmese, Cambodians, filipino's working in some of the listed 39 occupations.  What farang in his right mind would work in a motor bike shop for a few hundred baht day.... :)) 

2 hours ago, Kerryd said:

Actually it could be considered #35 - "Street Vending (or "Hawking") or even #6 - "Shop Attendance" which are in fact reserved occupations. However, I don't see "mechanic" on the list of reserved occupations (as noted below).

I thought Magnus @ Third Road and South intersection is owned and staffed by foreigners?  Even the name is farang.

3 hours ago, kg1947 said:

HOW ABOUT the multitude of TAILOR shops ,

INDIANrestaurants , etc. ??

they're ALL OVER  Pattaya Klang between

the BEACH RD. and 3rd Road.

You asked them ? Maybe they have a workpermit if you didn't ask this is your change to check it out.

5 hours ago, Kerryd said:

From the Thai Ministry of Labour (http://www.mol.go.th/en/content/page/6347):

OCCUPATIONS AND PROFESSIONS PROHIBITED FOR FOREIGN WORKERS

1.  Labour work;

2.  Agriculture, animal husbandry, forestry, or fishery, except work requiring expertise, specialized work, or farm supervision work;
3. Bricklaying, carpentry or other construction work;
4. Wood carving;
5.  Driving motor vehicles, driving a non-mechanically propelled carrier or driving a mechanically propelled carrier, except for piloting international aircraft;
6.  Shop/Outlet attendance;
7.  Auction;
8.  Supervising, auditing or providing services in accounting, except internal auditing on occasions;
9.  Cutting or polishing diamond or precious stones;
10. Haircutting, hairdressing or beauty treatment;
11. Cloth weaving by hand;
12. Mat weaving or utensil making from reeds, rattan, hemp, straw or bamboo pellicle;
13. Mulberry paper making by hand;
14. Lacquerware making;
15. Making Thai musical instruments;
16. Nielloware making;
17. Gold ornaments, silverware or pink gold making;
18. Bronze ware making;
19. Thai doll making;
20. Mattress and quilt blanket making;
21. Alms bowl making;
22. Hand making of silk products;
23. Buddha image making;
24. Knife making;
25. Paper or cloth umbrella making;
26. Shoemaking;
27. Hat making;
28. Brokerage or agency work, except broker or agency work in international trade;
29. Civil engineering works concerning design and calculation, organization, research, project planning, testing, construction supervision or advising, excluding work requiring special expertise;
30. Architectural work concerning designing, drawing of plans, cost estimating, construction directing or advising;
31. Dressmaking;
32. Pottery or ceramic ware making;
33. Cigarette rolling by hand;
34. Tour guide or sightseeing tour operation;
35. Street vending;
36. Typesetting of Thai characters;
37.  Silk reeling and twisting by hand;
38.  Clerical and secretarial work;

No no no... this is the "can do" list. Surely.