Immigration warns Pattaya motorbike garages against hiring foreigners

Rimmer

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know a couple foreign mechanics here. They're legal. Not sure if they're still wrenching but active in the shops (Harleys). Problem is Thais need a great deal of education for this. I'm not being derogatory or negative on anyone! By education I mean knowing how to follow manuals and use special tools. If you're an authorised dealership your mechanics are required to have ongoing education.

In a lot of situations Thai mechanics can learn a great deal having an experianced foreign wrench around.

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

You are not aware that these "Indians" are naturalized Thai citizens (2nd, 3rd generation or so) who speak Thai fluently?

Similar to the "Chinese" who hold a big stake in all kind of businesses (banking, retail etc. pp.).

The "Indians" are all over the country, even here in the sticks.

In the tailor business and bicycle shops (from observation, two "Indian" bicycle shops around).

They are Nepalese from Myanmar 99%. Many 2nd generation with Thaipassport. I got some  Nepalese friends in those shops

2 hours ago, kaorop said:

Problem is, around 80-90% of thai "mechanaics" arent skilled enough to actually be called 'mechanic', butcher or 1st year apprentice is more apt...

Tools of the Thai mechanics doing things on motorbike:

- one hammer

- one screwdriver with blade.

The Thai boys are OK for working on 110CC Hondas but they're totally out of their depth on big bikes, not so many bike bikes around and most Thai mechanics lack any knowledge & experience of working on them. Farang bikers on the other hand have the knowledge & experience of working on big bikes. 

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

You are not aware that these "Indians" are naturalized Thai citizens (2nd, 3rd generation or so) who speak Thai fluently?

Similar to the "Chinese" who hold a big stake in all kind of businesses (banking, retail etc. pp.).

The "Indians" are all over the country, even here in the sticks.

In the tailor business and bicycle shops (from observation, two "Indian" bicycle shops around).

Not necessarily. The Sikhs (the ones with turbans and hook noses) are naturalized citizens for the most part, but there are only around 30,000 of them nationally out of a population of 69 million - I have never seen any Indians out in the sticks, except tourists or perhaps Indo-Burmese labourers but even they tend to be rare outside the cities.

Thailand is not multicultural like Malaysia or Singapore and upon seeing an Indian looking person, both Thais and foreigners assume they are foreigners until made known otherwise. Other "Indians" who may actually be Bengali, Pakistani, Sri Lankan, Nepalese or Indo-Burmese are foreigners and working illegally. I know how to tell them apart quite easily, the ones who are speaking any language other than Thai aren't Thai, period. They are usually hired due to their good to excellent English skills. There are a ton of people from the sub-continent who are working illegally in Thailand.

5 hours ago, jay1980 said:

If mechanic is on the restricted list for foreigners, (I don't believe this) will the Thai immigration police come and arrest all the pit crews when the MotoGP event comes to Buriram next year?

The riders will also not be so happy:

5 hours ago, kg1947 said:

HOW ABOUT the multitude of TAILOR shops ,

INDIANrestaurants , etc. ??

they're ALL OVER  Pattaya Klang between

the BEACH RD. and 3rd Road.

I think you'd find they are Thai citizens. They have a long history of being in the country. Like the Chinese, but the Indians are easier to spot.

23 minutes ago, Media1 said:

Yes

You can't beat that Thai quality workmanship. I nice touch is all the free additional scratches. I wonder do they own a torque wrench ?

And what are immigration doing going to bike shops. Please how much time do you have to waste.

I think a start must be made somewhere and Immigration have probably selected "mechanic" as priority for reasons which they could share.

4 hours ago, maximillian said:

I think you are generalizing and under estimating Thai mechanics.

Go to a Bike Week and look around, see what Thai hobby mechanics can do to their bikes.

I am very happy with my bike and car mechanics here.

No, not ime nor what others (many) have related to me

I have lots times, looking at bikes doesnt tell you how well or safely they ride

I've known many, seen the work of many, am highly qualified with decades of experience, 1 decade here, i ride high performance at a high level (not bragging) I feel i've got the situation pretty accurate.

In Germany, a two-wheel mechanic for motorcycles has an apprenticeship of 3 years, then he has to take an examination by an independent expert audit committee . After 2 years of practical experience, he can make his master, a further learning period of 2 -3 years and a comprehensive examination supervised by a craft chamber. I can understand that in tourist places, the demand for well-trained big bike motorcycle mechanics is great.
There are quite good Thai mechanics, but they often learn through try and error.
In all safety-related repairs such as brakes, hydraulics, steering, bearings, electrics, lighting, shock absorbers, conversions, tires, -  the fun stops.
Many thai mechanics often do not make safety checks when handing over a repaired vehicle.
Tires are inflated by feeling, defective light bulbs are not replaced, defective brakes are not detected and wheel and axle nuts are attached without a torque wrench.

Instead of pursuing a witch hunt for foreign motorcycle mechanics, the Thais should be more concerned about a reasonable training in safety.
There are already good approaches for thai home electricians.

On my motorbike I leave only professionals - Nationality does not matter, main thing the work is executed properly.

Edited by tomacht8

2 hours ago, Media1 said:

And what are immigration doing going to bike shops. Please how much time do you have to waste.

As far as I understand there has been a "whistle blower".

Maybe a foreigner hold a tool in hand :sleep:

Compare that to bar managers who carefully avoid to give a helping hand to the waiters.

Never touch anything or a snitch will blow the whistle.

A mate who sometimes comes to the village likes to "threaten" me when I swing the brush-cutter in front of the house.