Used car transfer / registration?

easeback

Bought a used car in Bangkok last week. I live in Pattaya, so went to the vehicle licensing center in Banglamung to transfer ownership. 

I was directed to a helpful English-speaking 'agent' who wanted 7500B to handle the transfer.

I've bought cars in Thailand before and don't recall paying that much. I'm not so bothered about a few thousand baht (the car was 680K) but paying more because I'm a farang always annoys me.

Anyone know a place in Pattaya that can get this done at a fair (i.e. Thai) price?

TIA

3 minutes ago, easeback said:

Bought a used car in Bangkok last week. I live in Pattaya, so went to the vehicle licensing center in Banglamung to transfer ownership. 

I was directed to a helpful English-speaking 'agent' who wanted 7500B to handle the transfer.

I've bought cars in Thailand before and don't recall paying that much. I'm not so bothered about a few thousand baht (the car was 680K) but paying more because I'm a farang always annoys me.

Anyone know a place in Pattaya that can get this done at a fair (i.e. Thai) price?

TIA

Why do you need an agent? If you have the necessary paperwork you just do the transfer at one of the counters at Land Transport.

Just now, giddyup said:

Why do you need an agent? If you have the necessary paperwork you just do the transfer at one of the counters at Land Transport.

That's what I thought. But seems there's a system in place where the counter staff feign total inability to communicate with farang and send them over to the agent instead...TIT.

I'll go back next week with a Thai friend and hope for better results.

If the car is registered in Bangkok ie Bangkok plates  then you'll either have to change names (registration) in Bangkok

or go to the main DLT in Chonburi province..not the one near regents school and ask them to "move" the registration to Chonburi

then you can change names and get given new number plates this will take at least two trips.

Chonburi DLT

Pattaya Banglamung DLT

there are loads of "agents" milling around outside the DLT or go to one of the testing centers across the road
displaying this sign

post-2109-0-09307200-1357115893.gif

to  get some more prices  7500 seems a bit high to me...but maybe they can see a problem somewhere

and have included that in the price they offered ???

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎25‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 8:29 AM, johng said:

If the car is registered in Bangkok ie Bangkok plates  then you'll either have to change names (registration) in Bangkok

or go to the main DLT in Chonburi province..not the one near regents school and ask them to "move" the registration to Chonburi

then you can change names and get given new number plates this will take at least two trips.

Chonburi DLT

Pattaya Banglamung DLT

It is only possible to change the name in Bangkok if you can produce an immigration letter stating you are living in Bangkok.

Moving the registration will be done in Chonburi DLT and require 2 trips to Chonburi DLT, one to apply and get the plates, then return to get the blue book.

On 9/24/2017 at 4:10 PM, steve187 said:

you need to get everything in place,

is the car registered in pattaya

transfer form and power of attorney all signed by seller, and all required docs from seller

cert of residence for you

Is a residence cert. required from the seller ?

37 minutes ago, brling said:

Is a residence cert. required from the seller ?

Yes, if the seller is not a Thai.

Transferring the plates to Chonburi is an easy process that I did this myself late last year, the total cost for that was 465 Baht and about 2 hours of my time, this did not include a change of ownership though.

I would imagine the change of ownership part is not difficult either, nor costly.

The Chonburi DLT office is good to deal with, very helpful, I went alone and played the stupid Farang (I'm good at that!) and they went out of their way to help me out.

Edited by Mattd