Problem with my email address

slappy

Hi All

Hope someone can help me.

My problem is Spam emails

In the last 2 weeks i have been getting a lot of spam, normally it was 2/3 a day.  With all the spam i get, i do not open, i automatically block the senders. I only open emails if i know who they are from.

But this last week i have been receiving 8/9 everyday. And the sender is using my email address. I keep blocking them, but they still keep coming using my email address. 

My computer is fully protected, i do full scans every few days and all the time, it says you are fully protected after each scan. My anti virus/spam protector etc is with Trend Micro Maximum.

How can i solve this problem

Many thanks

slappy

It would seem likely that your email address has been 'harvested' and sold onto the spam creator. Sadly, if that is the case, there isn't a lot you can do about it.

I would run one of the many dedicated free anti-malware programs rather than relying on your anti-virus package just to be on the safe side, to make sure the problem isn't in your computer.

You don't say who your email provider is.

I manage a friends business email account that has just 5 users.  I'd hate to think what would be happening if his email wasn't being filtered by a professional service:

Month Type Count Size Percent
Sep '17 Valid 4,843 385.9 MB 21.09%
Spam 16,208 171.22 MB 70.59%
Virus 1,909 42.08 MB 8.31%
Total 22,960 599.21 MB 100%

My own email is handled by Google business. No spam.

Granted, my chances of being notified of non-familial inheritance and instant money offers has dwindled to zero and I'm a bit angry about that. Oh, and that white hat looks stupid on you.

Edited by RichCor

3 hours ago, RichCor said:

You don't say who your email provider is.

I manage a friends business email account that has just 5 users.  I'd hate to think what would be happening if his email wasn't being filtered by a professional service:

Month Type Count Size Percent
Sep '17 Valid 4,843 385.9 MB 21.09%
Spam 16,208 171.22 MB 70.59%
Virus 1,909 42.08 MB 8.31%
Total 22,960 599.21 MB 100%

My own email is handled by Google business. No spam.

Granted, my chances of being notified of non-familial inheritance and instant money offers has dwindled to zero and I'm a bit angry about that. Oh, and that white hat looks stupid on you.

hotmail

I would suggest logging into your Hotmail account and see what the current spam or filtering level is set to. It wouldn't be the first time Microsoft did something on their end that caused a flood of spam reaching its users. But good to check the account preferences anyway.

Set the Outlook.com Junk Mail Filter to "Standard"

LifeWire.com Article  |  by Heinz Tschabitscher  |  Updated February 14, 2017

On 25/09/2017 at 9:03 AM, slappy said:

Hi All

Hope someone can help me.

My problem is Spam emails

In the last 2 weeks i have been getting a lot of spam, normally it was 2/3 a day.  With all the spam i get, i do not open, i automatically block the senders. I only open emails if i know who they are from.

But this last week i have been receiving 8/9 everyday. And the sender is using my email address. I keep blocking them, but they still keep coming using my email address. 

My computer is fully protected, i do full scans every few days and all the time, it says you are fully protected after each scan. My anti virus/spam protector etc is with Trend Micro Maximum.

How can i solve this problem

Many thanks

slappy

Kaspersky is the best many years. Also change your password. By changing i got mine down from 100 to 20 spam in total. I also got malwarebytes

On 25/09/2017 at 9:12 AM, steven100 said:

Ensure you have the filter turned on with your email provider.

Just continue to delete them one by one everyday.

I did receive a couple last week but gone now ....  I think you will get a run of them for a week or two then they may subside to almost nil ....

I thought to delete was the worst thing to do. Let your spam box delete them in time

31 minutes ago, franck1972 said:

I have my emails all redirected to a hotmail account, takes care of the problem.
If it goes on, it could also be that somebody subscribed you up to some websites just to annoy you.
You didn't mention the type of content of the email ? All same kind of content ?

yes all the same kind

39 minutes ago, helloagain said:

I thought to delete was the worst thing to do. Let your spam box delete them in time

Rather than blocking them or deleting them on Hotmail, click report as spam.

Also clear your Web page whether its Explorer or Firefox for example, of its memory,  cache,  cookies and temporary files

On 9/25/2017 at 9:12 AM, steven100 said:

Ensure you have the filter turned on with your email provider.

Just continue to delete them one by one everyday.

I did receive a couple last week but gone now ....  I think you will get a run of them for a week or two then they may subside to almost nil ....

Don't delete. They try again. Mark them Spam and they won't come back. 

Just thought I would add this .

I set up 2 E mail accounts.............one I call my spam account  and the other a serious account !!!

Effectively if I buy or have to register with a selling website etc    I use the spam account -   if its for bank (serious) communication  then use the other one.

Effectively I look at the spam account once a week -to look at the titles and then just delete them

Leaving my serious E Mail inbox pretty clean  

works for me 

Get a new email address and only give it to those who need to know. Preferably a Gmail address rather than Hotmail (or one of its derivatives). Drop your ISP hosted email system.

I have two gmail addresses and two hotmail addresses and for whatever reason I seem to get more 'spam' on my hotmails.

As a previous poster mentioned, "Block" all spam emails - don't even open them (curiosity killed the cat)!

HTH

First, check the sites you visit. If you must use an email address to join a site I find that may be one culprit. 8 or 10 spam per day is nothing. I made the mistake of making a political contribution ONCE right away I started getting about 85 political pandlers a day. I have more than 10 e-mail addresses i use a couple for different levels of junk mail. I have 2 gmail accounts that I only use with family & close friends. I use outlook as my e-mail handler , (note free email such as hotmail & yahell will charge for POP/SMTP or IMAP/SMTP). Often when you send an unsubscribe that spammer often will sell the e-mail address to another spammer(s). 

In outlook, (or Mozilla Thunderbird) you can create filters to automatically remove emails containing certain keywords in the address, salutation, title, or certain phrases in the body of the e-mail. Kaspersky total security does have an anti spam add on, but it does not work with outlook. The icons are there, and when you "Mark as Spam" it will delete the offending e-mail, but does not keep a record. I confirmed this with KAS asia and USA. 

Edited by Grumpy Duck
Yadda

Update

As some members mentioned, i changed my email password yesterday, this morning i had more spam arrive. So this mornings arrivals i have reported as phishing scam. we will see what happens now.

But thanks so far, to all who have responded to my problem

Hi Slappy,

First check which mail server is sending the spam.

You can do with checking the with source (property settings / headers) in Outlook or in your webmail client. Was it your mail server ??? Many times the sender is using an email address (and mail server) of someone that doesn't need an authorisation on their SMTP server for sending. 

If you are using Outlook follow these steps:

- Go to your account settings for POP and IMAP

- Then go to your extra features (more settings)

- Set your SMTP for outgoing emails

- Set your log in with your account name and password

When you're having a domain and cPanel

- Go to your email settings in EMAIL and set your Authentication

- Go to your email address and Set Up Mail Client 

- Enable user need to log on to the SMTP server for sending emails.

You might need some help from you ISP (hoster)

Your mail server needs to be set with a log in and password for every use of the mail server.

With the domains I am having, I am getting around 1250 - 1500 spam emails every day. All filters are set to the max on my server. Still having about 50 coming through daily...

Edited by PAIBKK

On 9/27/2017 at 8:02 AM, johng said:

Yes you'll always get some junk or spam mail but did this new spam arrive with your email address as the sender ?

Over the weekend, i have changed my email password 3 times, and i am still being sent spam mail. and yes some have been send with my email address as the sender. 

I've tried blocking and i've tried reporting as phishing mail. But they still come

1 hour ago, slappy said:

Over the weekend, i have changed my email password 3 times, and i am still being sent spam mail. and yes some have been send with my email address as the sender. 

I've tried blocking and i've tried reporting as phishing mail. But they still come

Just because the emails have your email as the sender doesn't mean your account (using your password) was used to send them.

While most email networks require users sending email to 'authenticate' (provide a known name/pass of an active account) before it will accept outgoing email to be passed along, some network email servers may be configured not to require it. So using your email address is just a way to fool the network into blindly accepting the sent email onto the network.

The second reason for using your email address as the sender it to trick your email provider's spam filters into thinking you're just sending email to yourself so why bother to scan it. 

If you've opened a trouble ticket with your email provider and they're not doing anything about it then it may be time to open a new account and abandon the current one as compromised (because the spam filter is misconfigured). Though it's quite possible that the same will happen if the new account if it is with the same provider. You may need to find a different provider who will scan ALL email, and require user authentication of all outgoing email on the network. 

2 hours ago, slappy said:

You can change your username and password all day long and I can continue to spam your ass make it look like you spammed yourself or even like Donald Trump spammed you.

Just don't hit my unsubscribe link or I will place your address on the hot active list.

Hotmail filters will catch a lot but some will always pass through.

Personally I think Google has the edge with spam filtering. If you want real clean then you pay for the service. 

30 minutes ago, maxpower said:

You can change your username and password all day long and I can continue to spam your ass make it look like you spammed yourself or even like Donald Trump spammed you.

Just don't hit my unsubscribe link or I will place your address on the hot active list.

Hotmail filters will catch a lot but some will always pass through.

Personally I think Google has the edge with spam filtering. If you want real clean then you pay for the service. 

Both my hotmail and gmail addresses have been pawned at least once.  Now I get very little spam with the hotmail account but its filtering is not up to much.  I get a crap load of spam on my gmail account but it is all neatly tucked away in the spam bucket, and there has never been anything in there that I needed or missed.

Get a new email address - make sure you tell only those that need to know, your new address by using the BCC function! Just changing your password does not work.

After that you need to look very closely at what emails you are replying to. 'google' stop email spam. Here is an example from one website: www.pcworld.com/article/3072435/data-center-cloud/5-ways-to-stop-spam-from-invading-your-email.html. Cut and paste the URL into your web browser.

Read as much as possible about spam and scam emails. No1 - never reply and always add to your Blocked Senders List (and the list goes on).

As long as there is an email system there will be spam/scam emails being sent out, just the same as night follows day, unfortunately.

Edited by lvr181
Additional comment

Further to my problem with spam emails and not as yet resolved. 

i have another issue which might be connected.

Since i changed my email password the first time. When i wanted to sign into hotmail, it would bring up my old password (number of 6 dots). I would then delete and put in my new password. i would then tick the box below for hotmail to remember my password. so i wouldn't have to manually enter my new password. But now every time i sign in to hotmail. it brings up my old password of 6 dots. it does not remember my new password. which are now 9 dots. Why?

Thanks for your help