Grab and Uber in Thailand not really "door to door"

Jingthing

I understand the problem quite well as to WHY drivers want to avoid approaching on your side of the street. But on the other hand, I think what happened to me the other night was going too far. In that kind of a situation a passenger should have a right to cancel the ride even at that late stage without being blacklisted. I felt I had little choice but to cross a large busy road at night in the rain. Imagine the situation if the passenger had been disabled in some way and also no umbrella. 

But I'm such a nice guy -- I only graded him down one star ... or was that a SUCKER move?

Edited by Jingthing

22 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I understand the problem quite well as to WHY drivers want to avoid approaching on your side of the street. But on the other hand, I think what happened to me the other night was going too far. In that kind of a situation a passenger should have a right to cancel the ride even at that late stage without being blacklisted. I felt I had little choice but to cross a large busy road at night in the rain. Imagine the situation if the passenger had been disabled in some way and also no umbrella. 

But I'm such a nice guy -- I only graded him down one star ... or was that a SUCKER move?

Maybe JT but I'm sure you're a good sucker

18 hours ago, impulse said:

It's pretty much inevitable.  No matter how good the system, some players will eventually learn to game it.  Make the system too "un-game-able"  and it will be effectively unworkable. Metered taxis were probably shiny, new and very welcome when they first came on the scene...

Yes, everyone was glad to see the new meter taxis back then, but eventually if the regulation is not there things deteriorate into a shambles, as the App Taxi service will soon enough even if it becomes legal in Thailand.

Uber is in trouble in London and other places mostly as it does not treat drivers as employees.

They just take the money for little effort and exploit the workforce...

It can't last long like that, it is 18th early 19th century thinking.

Edited by George FmplesdaCosteedback

4 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Uber is in trouble in London and other places mostly as it does not treat drivers as employees.

They just take the money for little effort and exploit the workforce...

I think their mistake is over reaching.  I see them more in the model of Hotels.com, who don't even claim to be in the hotel business.  They just out together hotels with people who want rooms, and take a percentage. 

Uber puts together people with cars and people who need a ride.  The only real difference is that, unlike hotels, they need to instill some consistency on pricing.  But instead, they want to be in the transportation business.  Which may be viable as a long term objective (remember when Amazon.com just sold books?), but not right out of the blocks.

22 hours ago, impulse said:

I think their mistake is over reaching.  I see them more in the model of Hotels.com, who don't even claim to be in the hotel business.  They just out together hotels with people who want rooms, and take a percentage. 

Uber puts together people with cars and people who need a ride.  The only real difference is that, unlike hotels, they need to instill some consistency on pricing.  But instead, they want to be in the transportation business.  Which may be viable as a long term objective (remember when Amazon.com just sold books?), but not right out of the blocks.

Leaches with an app. :annoyed:

Price comparison sites are not anywhere near what the App Taxi thing is about.

Minicab taxis are all radio controlled in the UK, not allowed to pick up on the street. Not a problem, meter on, come to where you are rain or shine, just a call away. Book in advance and they are there on time or ring to say how long if they have a problem.

I'm sure there are still taxi firms here that will do that.

Edited by George FmplesdaCosteedback