Jomtien Beach photo yesterday, I don't know why people complain :)

Anagami

1 hour ago, craigt3365 said:

I was on a beach not far south of Mazatlan.  It was filled with trash because it was near the mouth of a river.  Where all the locals dumped their trash.

Alas, we shall always have the poor with us, as Someone once said. At least in countries like Thailand or Mexico.

And by the way, the poster with the question was asking for resort towns that have clean beaches. I mentioned two, but could have mentioned a dozen.

Not every country, even if poor, is so negligent of its beaches.

It might also help that neither in Bali or in Cancun do they run their shit and industrial waste into the water.

Edited by Anagami

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, DukSiam1 said:

In the picture, the garbage on the beach can be cleaned up if they want to but I'm looking at the yellow bouys that are encrusted with black, sticky crud. That stuff is in the water. Horible!

In case you have not had the pleasure, the water is brown because of the sewage pollution that is being run into the water from the hotels and the businesses on the beach.

If I recall correctly from an article, they manage to clean only 10% of the 'water' that they run out.

Edited by Anagami

42 minutes ago, Anagami said:

In case you have not had the pleasure, the water is brown because of the sewage pollution that is being run into the water from the hotels and the businesses on the beach.

If I recall correctly from an article, they manage to clean only 10% of the 'water' that they run out.

Perfect water conditions...for Pattaya the "World Class Family Resort" :coffee1:

3 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Come on.... If there is a perfect clean pristine beach in a popular resort town, lets see it.

If it is such a good place now, it will be filthy soon.

At least like another poster said, they came and cleaned it up.

Try going to Sihaunokville Cambodia what a filthy hole of a place no organized clean up from what I saw disgusting. 

Need to look no further than Boracay.

This is an issue that has bothered Expats as well as (some) Tourists for quite some time.

I would like to offer a different point of view:
- I happen to live in a country, where there is no garbage in the streets, coughing in the tramway without holding your hand in front of the mouth is a "NO-NO". The trains depart exactly on time. Having any dealings in a government office, waiting more than 10 minutes before being served is considered as "outragious". The peak of civilisation, as far as "statehood" (in general) is reached. Some say. With conviction.
----------------------------------------
In spite of dirty beaches and other "inconveniances", Farangs as well as most Thais seem to be quite content to live in Thailand. With or without garbage in the streets. Maybe it's the "laissez-faire" and the "savoir-vivre" that is still alive in Thailand, having mostly disappeared in Europe, making Thailand "special" for Farangs. (BTW: "Laissez-faire" and "Savoir-Vivre" can roughly be translated into "may pen rai", times 5.):smile:
Cheers.   

13 hours ago, alex8912 said:

I don't agree. If you really think most of this is from boats and wind then we should anxiously await a picture of this same beach on a day without wind. This is garbage from people just being gross all over the place. I'm in Crete now on the way to Thailand.  I spent the day on a large beach here yesterday and could not find anything but sand on the beach. I expected some trash  just because Crete is close to Africa and seems to be located where trash may show up. But none! 

When another poster ( above) takes his son to Ko Samet he should look back under the boat entry where you buy tickets. Look to the left and right. It looks like a normal cities dump. In less than 10 years Ko Samets water has gone from cleaner to very dirty. Also walk up the main road and look around where they make foreigners pay 5x the fee as Thais. There you will see many more mini dumps and what looks like a raw sewage creek where bungalows are located ( who in their right mind would stay in these) 

This "crap" is slowly but surely going to drive tourists away from Thailand. 

The wind is not the issue. No need for link. 

Are you expecting it to  head through the Suez or go the long way around via the Strait of Gibraltar?

The Med isn't tidal but you may see a few discarded life jackets that originated from the North coast of Africa. I don't think those countries create the same levels of trash as we see in Thailand. :smile: Well done Crete at least cleaning up after itself.

Edited by jacko45k

10 hours ago, Anagami said:

Alas, we shall always have the poor with us, as Someone once said. At least in countries like Thailand or Mexico.

And by the way, the poster with the question was asking for resort towns that have clean beaches. I mentioned two, but could have mentioned a dozen.

Not every country, even if poor, is so negligent of its beaches.

It might also help that neither in Bali or in Cancun do they run their shit and industrial waste into the water.

Indonesia is the 2nd largest producer of plastic waste globally, much of which enters the sea.

http://www.aljazeera.com/blogs/asia/2017/02/bali-meeting-tackles-ocean-pollution-pastic-170224160751836.html

While seemingly idyllic, the coastline of Kuta is in reality cluttered with plastic bottles, packaging, straws, cans, old shoes and plastic bags.

Skip to 1:30 to see the trash on Bali beaches.  Guess what?  Mainly during the rainy season.  Like we have here right now.

http://balipollution.blogspot.com/

Over the years, increasing tourism and the growing population in Bali has caused an excess of garbage pollution in the landfills, on the streets and beaches, and ultimately the streams and ocean. Environment.web.id reports, quote, "The island generates up to 20,000 cubic meters of trash daily and 75 percent is left uncollected on the roadside and at illegal dumps, posing a mounting problem and health hazard to the surrounding community." The pollution is becoming a widespread issue affecting not only the health of the environment but also the health of local and visiting populations.

bali+pic+1.jpg

That pic is of Kuta Beach.  Yuck.

Skip to 3:00

It's a global problem.

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Are you expecting it to  head through the Suez or go the long way around via the Strait of Gibraltar?

The Med isn't tidal but you may see a few discarded life jackets that originated from the North coast of Africa. I don't think those countries create the same levels of trash as we see in Thailand. :smile: Well done Crete at least cleaning up after itself.

I spent 10 days on Cyprus.  Very little trash at all.  I spent only a small amount of time on the beaches, but they were very clean.  Malta was almost spotless.

17 hours ago, Anagami said:

You could go to Koh Larn, the ferry is cheap and takes less than an hour. The beach is reasonably clean, though they run their sewage into the water there as well of course (at the far end of the main beach, so if you go, stay at the near end). Clouds of Chinese around noon hour. Even a pretty sign: "Chinatown".

A seat at the beach will run you 100 baht each, if I recall correctly last time I went.

Even there - the Beach Chair Vendors are NOT REALLY INTERESTED to clean their Patch of Beach early Morning!! Sometimes I have seen Tourists picking-up rubbish & Floatsom.

And now the Authorities have instigated - that the numbers of Beach Chairs had been drastically reduced - and when then the Chinese Tourist-groups arrive - there is NO more peace & quiet - it's YAK,YAK,YAK and ... shouting every word!!

And of course - don't go over there on a Wednesday - NO BEACH CHAIRS ARE ALLOWED - on that Day!!

21 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

We popped down to Pattaya at the weekend, while there my son wanted to go to the Beach - I refused for this very reason that the beach and sea there is filthy. 

IMO: the beach there is actually dangerous, sharp objects, broken glass etc.

We will soon head else where to Koh Samet for 'beach time'... I wonder how many other people avoid these areas and travel a little further because the beaches are so dirty.

I imagine Places like Jomtiem and definitely Bang Saray incurr significant tourist losses as a direct result of its pollution. 

Is Bang Saray polluted?  I was getting the impression it was worth a visit

1 minute ago, gk10002000 said:

Is Bang Saray polluted?  I was getting the impression it was worth a visit

Bang Saray is better, but still polluted.  It's in a bit of a bay, and the headland on the navy base seems to keep the currents out that have a lot of the trash.  I go sailing out there fairly often.  The amount of trash floating in the open sea is stunning.  Horrible.

They've also ruined the beach by putting parking spaces up on the ocean side of the road.  Absolutely ruined a good section of the beach.

If you want a small part of paradise, go to Bang Saray Beach Club.  Absolutely fantastic.

21 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Wind direction has a lot to do with this.  A lot of the trash comes from boats.  And down the various rivers/creeks.  Disgusting.

I know that Pattaya and Jomtien are long beaches BUT, Koh Mook, Charlie Beach folks clean the beaches of wind blown garbage etc, before anyone gets up. I have seen bigger beaches in the Philippines cleaned every morning but first you must accept that tourism is the way you make your living and convince Thais to WORK, sorry if I insulted anyone. I left Thailand after 30 years of a downhill slide into the toilet. Now in Philippines.

16 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

Just wait until the tourists arrive and see how everything turns into a dump, and that will not be the fault of the tourists, but because maintenance and up-keeping are unknown expressions to Thais

Wrong. Jomtien Beach was well maintained and clean up until the Navy took charge after the coup. The 485 chair venders took it upon themselves to keep it that way. Once the Navy opened large stretches up by reducing the chair venders lot sizes and made them take days off the place went down hill. 

18 minutes ago, pegman said:
17 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

Just wait until the tourists arrive and see how everything turns into a dump, and that will not be the fault of the tourists, but because maintenance and up-keeping are unknown expressions to Thais

Wrong. Jomtien Beach was well maintained and clean up until the Navy took charge after the coup. The 485 chair venders took it upon themselves to keep it that way. Once the Navy opened large stretches up by reducing the chair venders lot sizes and made them take days off the place went down hill. 

Wrong ?

So I assume the Navy has left and everything is back to normal?

26 minutes ago, pegman said:

You mean once they made the vendors abide by the laws things went downhill? LOL

10 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

You mean once they made the vendors abide by the laws things went downhill? LOL

Yes, ever heard of unintended consequences? Besides that the best things about Thailand are the laws being unobserved. 

10 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

Wrong ?

So I assume the Navy has left and everything is back to normal?

The Navy has not left. All the city and provincial administrators are their appointees. You may have missed it but the country had a military coup and now is run by a junta. The eastern seaboard is the navies responsibility. The beach at Jomtien was much cleaner when the mafia Godfather's kid ran the city.

8 hours ago, pegman said:

Yes, ever heard of unintended consequences? Besides that the best things about Thailand are the laws being unobserved. 

Tell that to my neighbor who's now a quadriplegic due to a drunk driver.  One who was stopped at a police checkpoint, paid a fine, and allowed to drive home.  Drunk.

Great comment. :bah:

I see it so often, both Thais and foreigners.   Rather than flick a cigarette butt into the gutter, they walk over to a drain and drop it down the grate.   They must have some warped image of 'OUT OF SIGHT, OUT OF MIND'.

By doing so , the chances of their filthy waste product being cleaned up before entering the marine system is reduced to about zero.   Then again, one li'l old butt couldn't do much damage, could it??

storm-drain.jpg

Edited by Radar501

As stated in another post, https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1001928-suspicious-black-water-jomtien-beach/?tab=comments#comment-12265998, towards the end of this past July I just spent about five days at Jomtien Beach.  Everyday in the morning I could see the following dark water from my balcony. I couldn't see this water when I was at street or beach level. Some days the flow would go the other direction depending on currents. It doesn't look good.

IMG_7067.JPG

Edited by M1Tanker

On 9/27/2017 at 6:31 AM, craigt3365 said:

Indonesia is the 2nd largest producer of plastic waste globally, much of which enters the sea.

http://www.aljazeera.com/blogs/asia/2017/02/bali-meeting-tackles-ocean-pollution-pastic-170224160751836.html

Skip to 1:30 to see the trash on Bali beaches.  Guess what?  Mainly during the rainy season.  Like we have here right now.

http://balipollution.blogspot.com/

That pic is of Kuta Beach.  Yuck.

Skip to 3:00

It's a global problem.

That may be. But I still enjoyed a clean sand and water in Indonesia, Mexico, and many other places. 

The same cannot be said for Jomtien. And that is what we are discussing here.

On 9/26/2017 at 1:31 PM, richard_smith237 said:

We popped down to Pattaya at the weekend, while there my son wanted to go to the Beach - I refused for this very reason that the beach and sea there is filthy. 

IMO: the beach there is actually dangerous, sharp objects, broken glass etc.

We will soon head else where to Koh Samet for 'beach time'... I wonder how many other people avoid these areas and travel a little further because the beaches are so dirty.

I imagine Places like Jomtiem and definitely Bang Saray incurr significant tourist losses as a direct result of its pollution. 

You've got that right. I used to be a regular visitor to Jomtien, but after my last dirty beach and sea experience 5 years ago, I've shifted to Hua Hin.

4 minutes ago, mrdjt said:

You've got that right. I used to be a regular visitor to Jomtien, but after my last dirty beach and sea experience 5 years ago, I've shifted to Hua Hin.

It's a bit better there, but not much.  The water is very cloudy.

On 10/1/2017 at 1:15 PM, craigt3365 said:

It's a bit better there, but not much.  The water is very cloudy.

Well yes it is a bit cloudy but at least doesn't have things floating in it ! and the sand is clean. Overall I'm happier in Hua Hin although being older now priorities have changed and my holidays are a lot quieter :-)

Koh Larn, just off Jomtien has crystal clear water though.

47 minutes ago, mrdjt said:

Well yes it is a bit cloudy but at least doesn't have things floating in it ! and the sand is clean. Overall I'm happier in Hua Hin although being older now priorities have changed and my holidays are a lot quieter :-)

Koh Larn, just off Jomtien has crystal clear water though.

Koh Larn no longer has crystal clear water.  There's a huge pollution problem there now.  Very sad.