TM30 now required in Phuket (just a heads up)

6 hours ago, skatewash said:

Well, now you have.  Glad to be in a position to expand your horizons :smile:

Went to Patong to file my 90-Day Report probably because the online version was down.  After doing my 90-Day Report the woman said that will be 100 Baht.  I paid 100 Baht.  Got my passport back and left.  Haven't returned to Patong immigration since then.  I do my business at Phuket immigration where I have never been asked to pay for doing a 90-Day Report and the certificates of residence are 200 Baht cheaper.  Not really sure what it is you don't understand?  

I have never paid for a certificate of residence in Patong or Phuket,  nor ever paid for a 90 day report,

ONCE they run off all of us on 1 year extensions/visa from using Patong, they can go back to charging outrageous fees of the tourists who don't complain..

10 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

was told in Patong if landlord could NOT come in had to fill out a POA ( power of attorney) form and have a 10 baht Tax stamp on it. Like a Thai is going to give a poa form to a Farang     LOL

Do you just pay the 10 thb tax at the immigration office then?

LOL:
i was listening when the thai girl was explaining about the 10 baht tax stamp, she told the foreigner that you could get them everywhere and all thai's knew where, but when asked, "WHERE do get the tax stamp?"
no reply.

I Know you can get them at the Labor dept, not sure where else 

11 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

There may be some offices that say that but it is not correct. Once you have registered your home address it never changes unless you move.

I personally follow what ubonjoe say above and if they change their practice at Phuket town Immigration I believe it will be announced one or another way!

Edited by Felt 35

On 9/27/2017 at 10:36 AM, ubonjoe said:

That info posted on that commercial website is specific to Chiang Mai and does not apply to all immigration offices.

.Rayong immigration is correctly doing it according to what is written in the immigration act.

They only want a new report if you change addresses.

Nonthaburi office requires all of my fellow teachers to report this address (from housemaster), everytime we get out extension of stay, even though we didn't travel overseas. I can see the point the first time, as none of us had done it, but we had to do it again a second time on the last extension. 

10 minutes ago, sinbin said:

I've Googled and I've Googled but can't find one link where it says a farang can get POA over a Thai ie his wife in the event she's too ill. The other way around yes.

Have you found anything that states that a POA cannot be issued in Thailand in which the agent is a non-Thai and the principal is a Thai?  You might want to ask Siam Legal (https://www.siam-legal.com/legal_services/Power-of-attorney-in-Thailand.php).  I would think the presumption would be that it is legal and if it were not legal you would expect to find a discussion of that fact.

10 hours ago, skatewash said:

Have you found anything that states that a POA cannot be issued in Thailand in which the agent is a non-Thai and the principal is a Thai?

No I haven't, but I've also never found anything that states a farang can be a POA to a, let's say in this case, a Thai wife who is medically incapacitated. I looked at your link. Not much use really.

It may well be that a farang may be able to get POA but it's strange that there's nothing even remotely suggesting it's allowable. I'm open to correction.

Edited by sinbin

59 minutes ago, sinbin said:

No I haven't, but I've also never found anything that states a farang can be a POA to a, let's say in this case, a Thai wife who is medically incapacitated. I looked at your link. Not much use really.

It may well be that a farang may be able to get POA but it's strange that there's nothing even remotely suggesting it's allowable. I'm open to correction.

I have had POA for several things in a work situation, whereby the board of directors have issued me with a POA to carry out something on their behalf, I don't see where it would differ in civilian life, so long as the person being given the POA is legally allowed to be here.

POA's in the situation you describe are known a living wills in Thailand and governed by the Thailand National Health Care Act 2007

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sinbin said:

In my opinion, you seem to have set yourself the difficult task of proving a negative.

It's a little like getting a Thai driver's license and then developing a notion that the Thai license is good in all Thailand's provinces except for Buriram.  Then Googling for a statement where someone says "the Thai driver's license is completely valid in Buriram," and not finding anything like that.  Well, why would you find something like that?  After all, Buriram is a province of Thailand and there's no particular reason to believe it would be treated any differently than the other 76 provinces of Thailand, in which the Thai driver's license is valid.

The interesting thing it seems to me is not that you can't find anything that specifically allows a POA granted by a Thai grantor to a non-Thai grantee, but that you have developed the notion that this would be prohibited.  Where does that notion come from?  What is the basis for the prohibition?  Have you ever heard of someone refusing to honor a POA because the grantee is non-Thai and the grantor is Thai?

The easiest thing would seem to me to contact a lawyer and ask would you be able to draft a POA for a Thai grantor with me (a non-Thai) as the grantee?  I doubt there would even be a fee for answering that question.  Or if you want to avoid dealing with lawyers altogether, maybe go to an international hospital in Thailand and ask if they have or recommend any forms for a heathcare POA so that you as grantee can make legal decisions for a Thai grantor (such as your wife). 

Henry Ford famously said: "Whether you think you can, or you think you can't—you're right."

19 hours ago, skatewash said:

Have you ever heard of someone refusing to honor a POA because the grantee is non-Thai and the grantor is Thai?

No I haven't but that's more likely down to it not being allowed. It's also strange that on a forum when a question is posted there's usually a queue of posters wanting/trying to prove you wrong. Especially for a know-all like me. But there hasn't been that kind of reaction. You're probably the third, of 3, after Ubonjoe and Mattd.

Never let hardships deter.

Edited by sinbin

Surley POAcan be granted to anyone. When ive bought a car of a Thai as a farang he gave me POA so i could register the vehicle in my name was accepted without question at LTO.

Similarly i have given my POA to a Thai for the same reason and i know this has also been accepted. 

Surley if its a correctly drawn up document it would make no diffrence if it was a thai or farang named as POA.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sinbin said:

No I haven't but that's more likely down to it not being allowed. It's also strange that on a forum when a question is posted there's usually a queue of posters wanting/trying to prove you wrong. Especially for a know-all like me. But there hasn't been that kind of reaction. You're probably the third, of 3, after Ubonjoe and Mattd.

Never let hardships deter.

I liked one of their posts since they are correct and you are wrong. So that makes it 4, and I'm speaking from experience.

25 minutes ago, sinbin said:

If I'm wrong I'll gladly apologise. Please show a link.

So from own experience I tell you POA can be given by a Thai to a foreigner, and you ask me to give you a link.

Please give me a link it can not be done, thank you.

You are wrong, and should apologise.

Can't show a link and neither can you? So you throw it back at me to prove. I've already stated, if you care to read back, I can't find a link stating 'it can or cannot be done'. I just stated I didn't think it was possible.  Ubonjoe then says it's done all the time here. I agree but only where a farang gives POA to his Thai wife, plenty of examples/links but no examples/links of farangs gaining POA over a Thai.

I have a German friend who's wife was HIV and started losing her sensenses/memory etc and he tried legally to sort out his affairs only to be told to just leave things with wifes family, daughter in this case, to sort out.

Edited by sinbin

38 minutes ago, sinbin said:

Can't show a link and neither can you? So you throw it back at me to prove. I've already stated, if you care to read back, I can't find a link stating 'it can or cannot be done'. I just stated I didn't think it was possible.  Ubonjoe then says it's done all the time here. I agree but only where a farang gives POA to his Thai wife, plenty of examples/links but no examples/links of farangs gaining POA over a Thai.

I have a German friend who's wife was HIV and started losing her sensenses/memory etc and he tried legally to sort out his affairs only to be told to just leave things with wifes family, daughter in this case, to sort out.

Something that is disallowed has to be in law/writing, not the other way round. So yes, you have to prove your claim, especially since members from own experience and general knowledge are saying opposite from your claim.

And please, 'farang' and 'foreigner' have a different meaning.