TM30 now required in Phuket (just a heads up)

33 minutes ago, zib said:

To add I got a warning about this last time I renwed my wife. Phuket Town Imm said the system said I stayed in a hotel in Bangkok. No fine that time just had to submit the tm30 again

Sent from my SM-G955F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Next time make sure your wife checks in for both of you and don't hand over your passport.

• Like 1

Went back today with my landlord. After filling out some papers, and a 30 minute talk with the office boss, he was fined 1600 thb. He owns several properties, so whether he will be fined for each of them (or each tenant) I dont know.

He was told he could report online in the future, and got a pamphlet written in Thai, but the guy has never touched a PC, so that is not going to happen.

9 hours ago, terminatorchiangmai said:

If you are already registered at your residence  you only have to go to immigration with your passport , new departure card and the old registration slip for and update.

I definitely got the impression, that the landlord had to be present every time (if not doing it online). Can anybody confirm, whether bringing him was just a one time thing, and I can just do the registration myself in the future?

10 hours ago, skatewash said:

Well, it's a Wednesday in Thailand so a lot of conflicting information going around :smile:

Here's my question:  does anyone know of anyone who does not own a business successfully applying for the online TM-30 registration account from an immigration office?  If so, which office, and what is the process for doing so?

I'm the owner and resident of my condo in Phuket.  I would like to use the online TM-30 registration capability to report myself when I return to my condo (after I return from a trip outside Thailand, or after I return to my condo from spending a night somewhere else where my temporary address may have been reported to immigration), but I am retired, meaning I don't have a business in Thailand, nor do I work in Thailand.  I have no intention of ever renting out my condo either short or long-term.  I just would use the online registration to fulfill my legal obligation to inform immigration of my return to my home address.

Seems to me this would be a win-win situation.  The immigration office gets up-to-date information on my address (in this case, confirmation that I still live in the same place) within 24 hours when I return home yet I don't have to clog up the already busy immigration office with my presence.  I realize this makes too much sense to ever likely be implemented, but a guy can dream can't he?

Anyone succeed in doing this without being a business owner?

My wife has this setup (for our business) and it took a couple of weeks of my wife not believing me and phoning Rayong immigration many times but now she has a business registration (can send emails) but she can also contact the office through Line. I know this isn't what you were asking but the point I'm trying to make it seems it's about perseverance but now it has been set up it works well for our business. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It is 24 hours of arrival at the residence. For example you could checkout of one hotel and travel to another one and they would need to do another one within 24 hours of check in.

The problem is that some offices are misinterpreting section 38 of the immigration act by reading that it means when you enter the country not arriving at the residence. Most do it correctly and only want a new one if you change addresses.

This needs a sticky, even after your postings people are still confused and I admit I'm still not 100% on this subject. Could you put something together like the site I posted in Chang Mai did except that it is correct as far as immigration law currently stands?. I got confused again when I caught up with this topic .......

10 hours ago, sandrabbit said:

My wife has this setup (for our business) and it took a couple of weeks of my wife not believing me and phoning Rayong immigration many times but now she has a business registration (can send emails) but she can also contact the office through Line. I know this isn't what you were asking but the point I'm trying to make it seems it's about perseverance but now it has been set up it works well for our business. 

And in the context of this thread Rayong Immigration are pretty relaxed about enforcing the TM30 requirement in my experience. They informed my wife when I applied for a retirement extension in July 2016 that it really was high time for her to submit a completed TM30 as my housemaster after 8 years of my living here. However they did not threaten her with any fine and told her that she could drop the completed form by when she was next in the neighbourhood. Seeing as this was not expected to be before July 2017 for my next retirement extension, we mailed in the completed form together with my next 90-day report a few weeks later, with no resultant problems.

Furthermore it would appear that they only require a fresh TM30 in the case of an address change rather than for each and every re-entry into LOS from foreign parts. Certainly nothing was said to us last July in the context of my current retirement extension following my trip to Europe a few weeks previously.

1 minute ago, charliebadenhop said:

So I am left wondering...

Should I go to Immig. showing that I went away for 3 weeks and am now back, or just continue to do nothing this time around, as I am still living in the same location?

I don't recall any reports of Chiang Rai immigration wanting a report every time you enter the country.

If you have not been doing it and have not been asked for it when you did something at immigration then I would not worry about it now.

23 hours ago, Jiggyfly said:

You have to update your TM 30 every time you leave the country and return.

You have to update your TM 30 everytime you stay somewhere else in Thailand other than the abode you first registered at. That's as I understand it.

11 hours ago, Beck1976 said:

Went back today with my landlord. After filling out some papers, and a 30 minute talk with the office boss, he was fined 1600 thb. He owns several properties, so whether he will be fined for each of them (or each tenant) I dont know.

He was told he could report online in the future, and got a pamphlet written in Thai, but the guy has never touched a PC, so that is not going to happen.

I definitely got the impression, that the landlord had to be present every time (if not doing it online). Can anybody confirm, whether bringing him was just a one time thing, and I can just do the registration myself in the future?

was told in Patong if landlord could NOT come in had to fill out a POA ( power of attorney) form and have a 10 baht Tax stamp on it. Like a Thai is going to give a poa form to a Farang     LOL

2 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

was told in Patong if landlord could NOT come in had to fill out a POA ( power of attorney) form and have a 10 baht Tax stamp on it. Like a Thai is going to give a poa form to a Farang     LOL

I doubt a non Thai could gain POA in Thailand.

14 minutes ago, sinbin said:

You have to update your TM 30 everytime you stay somewhere else in Thailand other than the abode you first registered at. That's as I understand it.

There may be some offices that say that but it is not correct. Once you have registered your home address it never changes unless you move.

14 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

10 minutes ago, sinbin said:

I doubt a non Thai could gain POA in Thailand.

I think some may be misunderstanding the scope of the POA that needs to be signed.  It authorizes the agent (presumably you) to file a TM-30 on behalf of the landlord (owner).  It is a limited POA for the purpose of submitting a TM-30.

Now, whether this can be communicated effectively to your landlord is perhaps an open question.  The form to be used is linked to earlier in the thread and is bilingual (Thai and English).  

It's not like you could go to their bank with this POA and empty out their savings account or go to the hospital and get your landlord removed from a respirator.  It's for the sole purpose of submitting a TM-30.  Basically, it is getting the permission of the landlord (owner) to inform immigration that you are their tenant.

Edited by skatewash

I am in Phuket and just got back from a trip abroad, am still at the same address I was before leaving but went in and submitted a tm-30.  Asked the guy if I really had to do this and he said yes, no cost.  I filled it out myself with no POA.

Edited by suave
added something
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

Phuket= no problem

Patong= Hassles

That's been my experience.  Patong charges 500 Baht for a residence certificate, Phuket charges 300 Baht.  Patong charged me 100 Baht to file a 90-Day Report, there's no cost at Phuket.

While I live much closer to Patong than Phuket I regard Patong as mainly interested in servicing short-term visitors.  In other words, they don't really want to deal with me.  Long-term expats are much better served by Phuket.

That's been my experience.  Patong charges 500 Baht for a residence certificate, Phuket charges 300 Baht.  Patong charged me 100 Baht to file a 90-Day Report, there's no cost at Phuket.

While I live much closer to Patong than Phuket I regard Patong as mainly interested in servicing short-term visitors.  In other words, they don't really want to deal with me.  Long-term expats are much better served by Phuket.
Why would you pay anything to do a 90 day report? Never heard of such a thing.

38 minutes ago, trd said:
1 hour ago, skatewash said:

Why would you pay anything to do a 90 day report? Never heard of such a thing.

Well, now you have.  Glad to be in a position to expand your horizons :smile:

Went to Patong to file my 90-Day Report probably because the online version was down.  After doing my 90-Day Report the woman said that will be 100 Baht.  I paid 100 Baht.  Got my passport back and left.  Haven't returned to Patong immigration since then.  I do my business at Phuket immigration where I have never been asked to pay for doing a 90-Day Report and the certificates of residence are 200 Baht cheaper.  Not really sure what it is you don't understand?  

Well, now you have.  Glad to be in a position to expand your horizons [emoji2]

Went to Patong to file my 90-Day Report probably because the online version was down.  After doing my 90-Day Report the woman said that will be 100 Baht.  I paid 100 Baht.  Got my passport back and left.  Haven't returned to Patong immigration since then.  I do my business at Phuket immigration where I have never been asked to pay for doing a 90-Day Report and the certificates of residence are 200 Baht cheaper.  Not really sure what it is you don't understand?  
What I don't understand is why I wasn't asked for a hundred baht in that office a few weeks ago. Well I've only been here for twenty years so I'm probably not up to speed yet.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On ‎27‎.‎09‎.‎2017 at 4:21 AM, ubonjoe said:

That is not correct. It is within 24 hours of arrival at the residence being reported not the country.

Also not needed it you travel within the country.

Do that mean that when I return soon after two months abroad to same residence in Thailand as used last decade I do not need to report address?

Thanks

Felt

27 minutes ago, trd said:
1 hour ago, skatewash said:
Well, now you have.  Glad to be in a position to expand your horizons [emoji2]

What I don't understand is why I wasn't asked for a hundred baht in that office a few weeks ago. Well I've only been here for twenty years so I'm probably not up to speed yet.

Maybe you qualified for the handsome man discount.  Or maybe the employee who charged me 100 Baht has been moved to an inactive post.  I don't really know.  I've only been here for five years, but it's been long enough to convince me that what happens on a Tuesday might not happen again on a Thursday, and if Gai does something for free Moo might demand 100 Baht.  Things change from time to time.

Just explaining why I choose to go out of my way to the Phuket Town immigration office rather than using the much closer Patong one.  Phuket Town has never charged me for a 90-Day Report and their residency certificates are 200 Baht cheaper.  If you want to find consistency Thailand might not be first place you would look :smile:

17 minutes ago, Felt 35 said:

Do that mean that when I return soon after two months abroad to same residence in Thailand as used last decade I do not need to report address?

Thanks

Felt

I would say that now, at least in Phuket, the consensus of this thread (for what that is worth) is that you would need to report your same 10-year old address to immigration within 24 hours of returning from a trip abroad or risk being fined for neglecting this obligation the next time you have business to do at the immigration office.  The immigration office, if it were so inclined (and it now seems so inclined), would be able to tell from your passport and information in their database that you neglected to report to immigration within 24 hours of your return home.

As is often the case here, the law hasn't changed but enforcement, it would seem, has.

1 hour ago, Felt 35 said:

Thanks

Felt

No it's not true, because if you have the TM30 notification stapled in to your passport, which is the new requirement,the officer will check if it matches up to your entry stamp. In your case it won't, so a possibility of a fine for your wife/landlord. All depending on office used. Better to be safe than sorry.

Edited by sinbin

"House owners, heads of household, landlords or managers of hotels who accommodate foreign nationals on a temporary basis who stay in the kingdom legally, must notify the local immigration authorities within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the foreign national."

That applies after the foreigner has exited and re-entered Ting Tong Land also. 

Edited by sinbin