deported because of basking..

Just now, craigt3365 said:

A work permit to play music is only offered for a specific venue.  You can't get a work permit that allows you to play music anywhere you like.  It's just the way it is.

i wasn't talking about music but i believe that's correct. 

1 hour ago, Aditi Sharma said:

Why is working without a work permit a crime? It is not like stealing, is it? You get paid for the work you do, dont you? 

Hopefully not, but you may find out when you eventually arrive here and working for your in-laws...............:wink:

1 hour ago, Aditi Sharma said:

Why is working without a work permit a crime? It is not like stealing, is it? You get paid for the work you do, dont you? 

Thailand is not isolated in its need for foreigners to hold valid work permits, there are very few countries in the world where it is possible to work without a work permit outside of the agreements in EEA etc.

The laws are there to protect the citizens of those countries, giving them priority over the rest of the world.

Depending on the job in question, then yes, in the very extreme it is like stealing in a sense, as it could mean that a citizen is denied the right to earn money and feed their family, especially in the 'developed' world where foreign labour can be the far cheaper alternative for the employer.

Relative to some countries, obtaining a work permit is not difficult in Thailand, so long as the criteria is met, I'd assume that the protected occupations are those considered to be the ones most likely to be filled by the citizens as the skill set(s) is readily available.

Edited by Mattd
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mattd said:

Thailand is not isolated in its need for foreigners to hold valid work permits, there are very few countries in the world where it is possible to work without a work permit outside of the agreements in EEA etc.

The laws are there to protect the citizens of those countries, giving them priority over the rest of the world.

Depending on the job in question, then yes, in the very extreme it is like stealing in a sense, as it could mean that a citizen is denied the right to earn money and feed their family, especially in the 'developed' world where foreign labour can be the far cheaper alternative for the employer.

Relative to some countries, obtaining a work permit is not difficult in Thailand, so long as the criteria is met, I'd assume that the protected occupations are those considered to be the ones most likely to be filled by the citizens as the skill set(s) is readily available.

yep. that's basically it. you can hear tradies in the uk moaning about polish guys coming in and bringing their prices down. there has to be some sort of barrier. the polish prime minister was asking the labour force to go home as they had lots of work on only last year. same thing but different

47 minutes ago, MrPatrickThai said:

10,000 baht, you were ripped off mate.

Section 75 : Any alien, who fails to comply with the provisions of Section 37(1) shall be punished with
imprisonment not exceeding 1 year or a fine not exceeding 10,000Baht or both.

Immigration have their own music sheets.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Section 75 : Any alien, who fails to comply with the provisions of Section 37(1) shall be punished with

Did he actually go to court?

5 hours ago, MrPatrickThai said:
14 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Did he actually go to court?

I do not know the answer to that question but, if he is smart and had the option, court should be avoided. Once you are convicted of any crime in Thailand, the arresting officer can recommend that you be blacklisted. If you must go to court, try to stay on good terms with the c--t who arrested you.

On 9/26/2017 at 3:39 PM, 007 RED said:

OP.... You were fined and deported for BASKING..... laying in the sun and enjoying yourself... Watch out folks immigration have found a new excuse to send us back to our country of origin :shock1:.

I joke... I think you meant BUSKING  ....... play music for money.

And I thought he's BARKING.....

On 9/26/2017 at 3:39 PM, 007 RED said:

OP.... You were fined and deported for BASKING..... laying in the sun and enjoying yourself... Watch out folks immigration have found a new excuse to send us back to our country of origin :shock1:.

I joke... I think you meant BUSKING  ....... play music for money.

If the quality of the music provided by the OP wasn't all that good though 007 RED, I guess it's conceivable that there could be a Thai law on the statute books that penalizes 'Baskin' Robbins'? :sorry:

On 9.10.2017 at 6:27 AM, Aditi Sharma said:

-first: i don't consider busking as an  ordinary 'work' where you get payed for the job you do, people give you volontarly donations for a artistic performance...

-second: how should i get a working permit for busking??? who is my employer??? even playing in different clubs, bars or restaurants will be problematic...

5 minutes ago, muluc said:

-first: i don't consider busking as an  ordinary 'work' where you get payed for the job you do, people give you volontarly donations for a artistic performance...

-second: how should i get a working permit for busking??? who is my employer??? even playing in different clubs, bars or restaurants will be problematic...

Firstly it dosent really matter what you consider work. If you derive an income then you are obtaining money. 

Secondly you wont get one for busking (begging). Live with the fact you was caught in a foriegn land breaking there laws. You have paid the consequrnces learn from it and move on. You have  Bigger things to worry about im sure.

19 minutes ago, muluc said:

You can't do this even if there were no monetary remuneration.  Volunteering to help those in need requires a work-permit, here.

19 minutes ago, muluc said:

I believe you can get a short-term work-permit for a musical performance (whether paid or unpaid).  A formal Thai business / organization must support your work-permit application.  But, "Busking on the corner of Soi So-and-so," will not cut it.  

Granted, it is not as though a couple dozen or so buskers and "fund our trip" backpack-beggars is something to worry about, while tens of thousands of Thais lose potential middle-class construction jobs - replaced by legally-imported Cambodians, willing to work for a fraction of the Thai-citizen min-wage.  But, those who profit from importing that cheap-labor, have a need to manufacture various, colorful memes - such as the "tourist beggars" meme - which distract from the policies that actually do eliminate Thai's work-opportunities. 

31 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Firstly it dosent really matter what you consider work. If you derive an income then you are obtaining money. 

Secondly you wont get one for busking (begging). Live with the fact you was caught in a foriegn land breaking there laws. You have paid the consequrnces learn from it and move on. You have  Bigger things to worry about im sure.

Worked with a South African guy who told me the name used for people who came to South Africa and then complained about the rules/laws /regulations there.

They called then the 'whenwes' ,  'when we' were in uk we didn't need to do this etc etc, 'when we' were in USA this didn't happen etc etc.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, muluc said:

second: how should i get a working permit for busking??? who is my employer??? even playing in different clubs, bars or restaurants will be problematic...

I had asked if it was possible to be a private tutor and work freelance. Seems it is not possible. Same with busking. But you are right, you get voluntary donations for your performance but the performance is done with a view to receiving it, so there.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Aditi Sharma said:

I had asked if it was possible to be a private tutor and work freelance. Seems it is not possible. Same with busking. But you are right, you get voluntary donations for your performance but the performance is done with a view to receiving it, so there.

Don't ask, keep it quiet. No. 1 thing in Thailand find yourself a "poo yai" to work for.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 007 RED said:

Over 2 hours and she hasn't asked what is a "poo yai"..... WOW.... she's slipping :sick:

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

She probably understands Thai well enough to realize it means "big shit".

Actually I was reading something on the whole seniority business which is sad but I still feel it can be benign where you are. 

...poo yai's are alright but Poo Yai's are what Tim says they are. 

• Haha 1

In Bangkok I shall be seeking an appointment with the head honcho of the immigration department. To ask him or her to introduce the concept of working holiday maker visa in Thailand. It is about time that this fascinating LOS had one with so many foreign arrivals and many of whom definitely interested in busking to express their happiness of being in a place where there is happiness and misery in great amounts and in equal measure, so to speak. 

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Aditi Sharma said:

In Bangkok I shall be seeking an appointment with the head honcho of the immigration department. To ask him or her to introduce the concept of working holiday maker visa in Thailand. It is about time that this fascinating LOS had one with so many foreign arrivals and many of whom definitely interested in busking to express their happiness of being in a place where there is happiness and misery in great amounts and in equal measure, so to speak. 

Good luck there then. Personaly i would just go to the pub more chance of someone listening there. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Aditi Sharma said:

To request a change in visa policy, the best people to speak to are the Minister of Foreign Affairs and the Prime Minister. The Immigration Bureau is not directly involved with visa policy, though senior officials there may be able to make suggestions.

Let us know how your meetings go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1