deported because of basking..

Hello,

at the beginning of may this year i played some music at the market in ranong, than the immigration police came and told me i was not allowed to do that on a tourist visa,

they arrested me, i had to pay a fine of 10.000 baht and finally the deported me to germany...

I have a stamp in my passport underneath teh cancelt visa that a payed this fine to the police, but they gave me no ban to come to thailan again on the form which i got from the immigration..

mm question now is, if it is possibel to get a new visa or if there is a possiblity that i  blacklisted now..

thanks

Changing passports would help at the consulate to obtain your next visa, but Immigration personnel at the checkpoint of entry will have access to your history in their database.  Expect some scrutiny at the immigration-checkpoint upon your return. 

I would not come without a Tourist Visa (i.e. don't try to enter visa-exempt).  Be sure to have the required cash (20K Baht worth of cash or travelers checks), plus a hotel-booking to show.  Though a return-ticket is not required to enter with a Tourist Visa, it might be a good idea to have to show, in your case.  I would also have some sort of bank acct statement showing you do not need to work in any fashion (even playing music for fun) to support your stay.

• Like 2

How long were you under arrest? Did you have 10,000 on you or did you arrange it? How much time did it take for them to deport you and while they were doing that - the deportation- did they book your return ticket for Germany? Were you given any food when you were in custody? Did they allow you to make phone calls? Were you all by yourself?

Edited by Aditi Sharma
correction
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Historically, being deported for illegal working without aggravating circumstances was not considered very serious. You do not seem to be blacklisted, but I think these days there will be a record in immigration's system to the effect that you were caught working illegally. It is imperative that you can show you are entering in the future with no intention to repeat this. Jack indicated some good suggestions on how to begin reassuring the officials.

From the MFA website:

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15405-General-information.html

11. According to the Immigration Act of Thailand B.E. 2522 (1979), foreigners who fall into any of the following categories are prohibited to enter Thailand:

(11)  Being deported by either the Government of Thailand or that of other foreign countries; or having been revoked the right of stay in the Kingdom or in foreign countries; or having been expelled from the Kingdom by competent officials at the expense of the Government of Thailand unless exemption is provided by the Minister on an individual basis.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

From the MFA website:

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15405-General-information.html

11. According to the Immigration Act of Thailand B.E. 2522 (1979), foreigners who fall into any of the following categories are prohibited to enter Thailand:

(11)  Being deported by either the Government of Thailand or that of other foreign countries; or having been revoked the right of stay in the Kingdom or in foreign countries; or having been expelled from the Kingdom by competent officials at the expense of the Government of Thailand unless exemption is provided by the Minister on an individual basis.

That depends upon the reason for deportation. I think you will would find there is a list of exemptions already. Serious deportations include a blacklisting from the country.

Many people have been deported and then returned to the country without a problem.

12 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Where does such a list exist Joe?

I'm betting your gonna say in the Ministerial Regulations........that we don't have access to. lol.  

How come consulates do not have access to information that the immigration department has? Wont they be remiss in their duties if they grant a visa which is then countermanded by the immigration because the applicant is blacklisted?

3 hours ago, Aditi Sharma said:

How long were you under arrest? Did you have 10,000 on you or did you arrange it? How much time did it take for them to deport you and while they were doing that - the deportation- did they book your return ticket for Germany? Were you given any food when you were in custody? Did they allow you to make phone calls? Were you all by yourself?

When you are taken to IDC you have your phone taken away, your shoes and belt removed etc. You have to hope that a friend or someone you know will come see you and try to help you. You have to pay your flight costs yourself or a friend has to.

Food is minimal, a couple of small bread rolls and some rice twice a day. If it's busy you could be sharing the cell with 30, 40 or more people.

It's not a good place to be.

9 minutes ago, overherebc said:

When you are taken to IDC you have your phone taken away, your shoes and belt removed etc. You have to hope that a friend or someone you know will come see you and try to help you. You have to pay your flight costs yourself or a friend has to.

Food is minimal, a couple of small bread rolls and some rice twice a day. If it's busy you could be sharing the cell with 30, 40 or more people.

It's not a good place to be.

Do they lock up women separately at the immigration detention centre (IDC)? How long can they hold you in there? Good God, it seems you can be in there for as long as 5 years!!! So one is basically an undertrial right? How can The Girl inform the South African embassy when she is sent there - God Forbid. And what can the embassy do to get her out of there?

Sorry I couldnt help relating this to this other story on the forum:  Overstay: Flight booked but not enough money to pay fine.

Edited by Aditi Sharma
correction

3 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Where does such a list exist Joe?

I'm betting your gonna say in the Ministerial Regulations........that we don't have access to. lol.  

Ministerial regulations are published on the Royal Gazette, which is.available to the public.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, muluc said:

they arrested me, i had to pay a fine of 10.000 baht and finally the deported me to germany...

I have a stamp in my passport underneath teh cancelt visa that a payed this fine to the police, but they gave me no ban to come to thailan again on the form which i got from the immigration..

mm question now is, if it is possibel to get a new visa or if there is a possiblity that i  blacklisted now..

Seems that you weren't 'banned'/blacklisted from re-entering. Get a new passport, if you're worried about getting a new visa at a Thailand embassy. 

Edited by StayinThailand2much

21 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

There must be more to this story.  Being kicked out seems a bit harsh for this.  Normally, a fine is paid and you're told to stop.  Perhaps the OP didn't heed the warning?  Or there was something else?  An overstay?

It was for working illegally.

Paying the fine and being deported for working without a work permit is shown in the working aliens act.

Edit: He entered on a tourist visa and had a admitted until date of May 26 when he departed the country on May 18th (see pic on page one) so not on an overstay.

Edited by ubonjoe
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It was for working illegally.

Paying the fine and being deported for working without a work permit is shown in the working aliens act.

Edit: He entered on a tourist visa and had a admitted until date of May 26 when he departed the country on May 18th (see pic on page one) so not on an overstay.

Yeah, I saw that pic of his stamps.  I know of many musicians who've been hauled in.  All just paid a fine and were let go.  And are still playing today! LOL

But none were busking in a market.  That's a huge no-no here.  Still, seems deportation was a bit harsh, especially after the big fine! LOL

11 hours ago, Aditi Sharma said:

Do they lock up women separately at the immigration detention centre (IDC)? How long can they hold you in there? Good God, it seems you can be in there for as long as 5 years!!! So one is basically an undertrial right? How can The Girl inform the South African embassy when she is sent there - God Forbid. And what can the embassy do to get her out of there?

Sorry I couldnt help relating this to this other story on the forum:  Overstay: Flight booked but not enough money to pay fine.

Women have their own cell yes. I believe if you have no money you get a 'credit' of so many baht a day that pays off your fine etc, but not sure.

The only way is to have your flight booked before you 'report' to Imm' and go to court. Usually the court fine is 2 to 3000 baht then you stay in IDC until your flight is due. You are then taken to the airport and held there until flight time. I think your passport is given to the aircrew and returned to you on landing.

16 hours ago, Aditi Sharma said:

Who took your money?  Did you get a receipt?

25 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

But none were busking in a market.  That's a huge no-no here.  Still, seems deportation was a bit harsh, especially after the big fine! LOL

The fine could of been much more according to the working alien act. The most common fine for working without a work permit is 20k baht if a person agrees to being deported instead of going to court to settle the case.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Aditi Sharma said:

How can The Girl inform the South African embassy when she is sent there - God Forbid. And what can the embassy do to get her out of there?

It's not an embassy's job to get people who break the law out of detention or jail. It's your job not to get in.  Unless of course you enjoy the benefits of diplomatic immunity.  Do you??  No? Well then, enjoy your rolls and rice.

13 hours ago, Aditi Sharma said:

"How can The Girl inform the South African embassy when she is sent there - God Forbid. And what can the embassy do to get her out of there?"

'Don't know about the answer to the 1st question, but the answer to the 2nd is along the lines of 'not much'.  If you're in the IDC, it's usually because you lacked the funds to pay either your fine or airfare or both, so unless your embassy is going to produce those funds for you (which embassies simply don't do in most cases), then there's nothing else it can do to get you out. They CAN maybe contact relatives back home.

legal problems + insolvent is not a good combination for foreigners in Thailand.

13 hours ago, Aditi Sharma said:

How long can they hold you in there? Good God, it seems you can be in there for as long as 5 years!!! So one is basically an undertrial right? How can The Girl inform the South African embassy when she is sent there - God Forbid. And what can the embassy do to get her out of there?

Do they lock up women separately at the immigration detention centre (IDC)? .... Males and females are kept in separate areas.

How can The Girl inform the South African embassy when she is sent there?  .......  Immigration will automatically notify her Embassy that she is being held at the IDC and the reason for her detention.

What can the embassy do to get her out of there?  ...... Basically nothing.  They will give her a list of lawyers, contact her family to let them know what is happening and ensure that she is detained within the terms of the legal procedures.