Yingluck sentenced to five years in jail

webfact

1 hour ago, Krungbin said:
5 hours ago, tropo said:

Her brother was sentenced by a legitimately elected government. Yingluck was sentenced by a military regime. There will be no extradition. She can claim political asylum anywhere she pleases.

They were both sentenced by a Court. Not by a whatever regime...

Seriously? Since when did Thailand's judicial system start operating independently from the government? The judicial system is part of the government. I abbreviated my point thinking it didn't require further clarification, not realizing so many on these threads are grasping at straws. 

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Deez said:

Why can she be convicted in absentia, but they keep saying the Red Bull loser has to be here?

The defendant has to be present to hear the charges against him/her before the case proceeds. Yingluk was, the Red Bull kid skipped town, and Thaksin has a long list awaiting his presence. This may be changed for political cases in the near future, with retrospectivity (??).

1 minute ago, halloween said:

The defendant has to be present to hear the charges against him/her before the case proceeds. Yingluk was, the Red Bull kid skipped town, and Thaksin has a long list awaiting his presence. This may be changed for political cases in the near future, with retrospectivity (??).

I think your last sentence is unlikely.

They couldn't get an amnesty last time... it ain't gonna happen now.

1 minute ago, Jip99 said:

I think your last sentence is unlikely.

They couldn't get an amnesty last time... it ain't gonna happen now.

Misunderstanding, I think. What I was trying to convey is that soon political cases may not require the defendant to be present to hear the charges.

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Her case was heard to completion when she was here and she attended (both prosecution and rebuttal evidence days) as required in the judicial process. Then she didn't attend for the first date to hear the verdict and it was therefore delayed to a later date and announced.

Red bull boy's case (prosecution and rebuttal evidence) hasn't yet been heard because he's not here. 

It's a facile comparison.The two cases have nothing to do with each other.The more relevant comparison is with political leaders who walked free after ordering the live firing on civilian protestors.Compare this with the five year sentence on a leader who wanted to subsidise the incomes of poor farmers.Any decent person feels physically sick at the hypocrisy and wickedness of those who engineered this travesty.But leaving feelings of outrage aside, the real lesson here is the warning that a tiny but powerful minority has provided to future politicians after the phony election to be held 2018/2019 whenever.It goes like this - watch out, we are always here, we will always control and we will crush you if you step out of line - whatever the Thai people want.It's a high risk strategy.

And of course no sane person would now dispute that Yingluck was quite right to skedaddle.

2 minutes ago, jayboy said:

It's a facile comparison.The two cases have nothing to do with each other.The more relevant comparison is with political leaders who walked free after ordering the live firing on civilian protestors.Compare this with the five year sentence on a leader who wanted to subsidise the incomes of poor farmers.Any decent person feels physically sick at the hypocrisy and wickedness of those who engineered this travesty.But leaving feelings of outrage aside, the real lesson here is the warning that a tiny but powerful minority has provided to future politicians after the phony election to be held 2018/2019 whenever.It goes like this - watch out, we are always here, we will always control and we will crush you if you step out of line - whatever the Thai people want.It's a high risk strategy.

And of course no sane person would now dispute that Yingluck was quite right to skedaddle.

again a deflection.. she was not sentenced for the rice program but for letting corruption flourish in the scheme after being warned about it by just about everybody. Then she replaces her top minister but does not cancel the fake g2g deals thus allowing corruption and the loss of billions for the Thai state. 

1 hour ago, lonewolf99 said:

I have just been on BBC World news and they show Miss Yinluck's assets and combined wealth of 17.36 million U.S. Dollars...........................staggering.

Begs the question, are people with that much wealth still so desperate and willing to scam more from a mad rice scheme - or is that money there because of the scam and how do you really prove that ?

So you consider $17 million staggering?  I would say that considering all the innuendos of ill-gotten wealth by TV posters,  she did rather poorly.  Considering the family she is from and the wealth of her brother from the telecommunications businesses her wealth is rather moderate. I think it should be remembered that the court did not find her guilty of corruption but of negligence. Nothing was ever offered in court which indicated she gained wealth from being Prime Minister or in politics.

4 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

You might be right but the educated Thais understand it and the un-educated feel it so, maybe, something will come at some stage to change it. But you might be right too. It's a wait and see game.

As I said, I don't wish it, but predict it will happen. i.e. consolidation of power leading to absolute dictatorship. All in the name of peace and love for the Thai people. It won't be difficult. He always comes up with excuses to postpone elections. I don't hear any protests. Everyone is scared to voice their opinions. I'm actually a bit worried about these posts too. Moderators, please delete if necessary - I don't mean to offend anyone.

16 minutes ago, halloween said:

Misunderstanding, I think. What I was trying to convey is that soon political cases may not require the defendant to be present to hear the charges.

Ah.. understand now, my bad, you were quite clear on re-reading.

7 minutes ago, robblok said:

again a deflection.. she was not sentenced for the rice program but for letting corruption flourish in the scheme after being warned about it by just about everybody. Then she replaces her top minister but does not cancel the fake g2g deals thus allowing corruption and the loss of billions for the Thai state. 

Yeah right.Just like Thaksin and Yingluck were never ejected by the unelected elites.Just like AOT was the real villain when the yellow thugs closed down thew airport.Just like the Men in Black mowed down red protestors to incriminate the army.Just like the judicial system is always even handed.Just like all politicians (self appointed and otherwise) are jailed when their actions cost the Thai state dear

One more tired old lie to add to the collection.Trouble is nobody really believes that stuff now.

30 minutes ago, tropo said:

I really think the Reds have been totally subdued. The time for them to do anything has long passed. Suppressing them was all part of the masterplan which was well executed.

I agree 100%.

I think anyone on Thai Visa who believes that there will be an upsurge in activity, or insurrection, after October is simply fantasizing their own wet dreams. 

6 minutes ago, Trouble said:

So you consider $17 million staggering?  I would say that considering all the innuendos of ill-gotten wealth by TV posters,  she did rather poorly.  Considering the family she is from and the wealth of her brother from the telecommunications businesses her wealth is rather moderate. I think it should be remembered that the court did not find her guilty of corruption but of negligence. Nothing was ever offered in court which indicated she gained wealth from being Prime Minister or in politics.

30 years ago Thaksin was seriously in debt, and while her family had money, it is far from the wealth she has today. After HE was awarded a corrupt monopoly licence for mobile phones HIS wealth increased markedly.

What has Yingluk done to accumulate such wealth? One notable item was she acted as a stooge PM while her brother dictated policy, during which time his crony Apichart was awarded back room commissions of billions of baht, and was involved in the G2G scams which cost the country B30 billion. But maintain the pretence there was no corruption involved.

1 minute ago, Jip99 said:

I agree 100%.

I think anyone on Thai Visa who believes that there will be an upsurge in activity, or insurrection, after October is simply fantasizing their own wet dreams. 

I agree there won't be but a few years is a short time in politics and things change.

30 years ago Thaksin was seriously in debt, and while her family had money, it is far from the wealth she has today. After HE was awarded a corrupt monopoly licence for mobile phones HIS wealth increased markedly.

What has Yingluk done to accumulate such wealth? One notable item was she acted as a stooge PM while her brother dictated policy, during which time his crony Apichart was awarded back room commissions of billions of baht, and was involved in the G2G scams which cost the country B30 billion. But maintain the pretence there was no corruption involved.

There is no evidence Yingluck was involved in corruption.Are you going to withdraw your lie?

Personally the wealth figure surprised me.I thought it would have been more.Do you understand what equities have done in the time frame?

44 minutes ago, Media1 said:

Sentenced by judges that should be in jail for crimes against humanity and a huge list of.corruption history. All these charges are laughable framed up by a coup leader. One that couldn't make his own way legitimate  

This is not sympathy, this is blind love, turning into rage. Don't know why the 'moderators' tolerated this outburst of yours. Must be there really is freedom of opinion in Thailand after all...

P.S.: Don't you have any good friend, who could advise you to consult?

3 minutes ago, jayboy said:

Yeah right.Just like Thaksin and Yingluck were never ejected by the unelected elites.Just like AOT was the real villain when the yellow thugs closed down thew airport.Just like the Men in Black mowed down red protestors to incriminate the army.Just like the judicial system is always even handed.Just like all politicians (self appointed and otherwise) are jailed when their actions cost the Thai state dear

One more tired old lie to add to the collection.Trouble is nobody really believes that stuff now.

Going well with the casual lies tonight Jboy. First the rice scam was helping poor farmers (B500 billion and how many farmers were lifted from poverty?) and now Thaksin (resigned) and Yingluk (court dismissal) were ejected by the unelected elites.

Those of us with memories don't accept you revised (red) history.

2 minutes ago, bangrak said:

Erm, something with a bank or so...? LOL

Sure but having mummy and daddy giving you billions isn't illegal. Need to prove where the money came from. We all know that it's dirty, corrupt money but it has to be pinned down. Sure enough the junta and the elites would like nothing better than the whole family goes to Dubai if that's where she is.:wink:

1 minute ago, jayboy said:

There is no evidence Yingluck was involved in corruption.Are you going to withdraw your lie?

Personally the wealth figure surprised me.I thought it would have been more.Do you understand what equities have done in the time frame?

When things are proven in court you don't accept it and if there is nothing proven in court you don't accept it.. you only accept your vision and nothing else. She is proven guilty in court.. you dont accept it.. but you do accept there is no proof YL is corrupt.. based on what.. that she has not been convicted for it.. if she were you would not accept it anyway. 

2 minutes ago, jayboy said:

Far from it. I maintain most of her wealth came via her brother and that she was complicit in his corruption.

Tell us, where did the money come from to buy those equities? What has she earned?

Going well with the casual lies tonight Jboy. First the rice scam was helping poor farmers (B500 billion and how many farmers were lifted from poverty?) and now Thaksin (resigned) and Yingluk (court dismissal) were ejected by the unelected elites.

Those of us with memories don't accept you revised (red) history.

What was the intention of the scheme? You will no doubt say corruption but frankly that's silly.Fair minded people will say it had the intent of helping the poor.Others would add that it was to firm up the electoral base.Of course it attracted shysters.But to comprehend one has to consider the whole picture.

1 minute ago, jayboy said:

And was Yingluck convicted of corruption? Nothing is "proven" in a Thai Court of Law if it doesn't suit the old order.

YL was not convicted for corruption but for her knowing about it but not stopping it. Proof enough of the corruption and her inaction. You jayboy want to have it both ways.. if something is not proven in court it did not happen.. but at the same time when something is proven in a court you don't accept it. You only accept your own visions but you don't accept proof. Thank god most of us are not that blind and we accept that there were fake G2G deals.. and we accept these were linked to one of Thaksin his friends and we all know YL did nothing even though at the time those fake G2G deals were pointed out to her.