Mrjlh is leaving the building

Mrjlh

Well with only a week or so to go and uncertain Internet connections, it’s time to say Sawadee. I must say it’s been a very interesting 11 years but other life issues pull me away from the LOS.  Retirement has been fun and rewarding to the point I was able to complete a mini-bucket list here. I have lived and traveled all over Thailand and got the chance to experience many wonderful things. I have made many great friends here, some I have personally met, some I have not. I wish you all well.

Too keep yourselves from getting bored get involved with the Thais. If they want to learn they will, if not so what, their loss. Bring your experience to the table if they take it, you win.  Complaining gets you nowhere but offering solutions do. And you don’t always need a work permit if handled correctly and silently. Along the way, I’ve been a short time silent partner on a business venture and did well before leaving it behind in just a short couple of months. Didn’t do well in two other prospects but so what, I learned something. Help immigration staff several times in separate cities but never “Officially”. I did a thing or two with the Royal Thai Police involving human trafficking. (No details here). Found the surveying wife and family of a P-51 Fighter that crashed outside of Bangkok during WWII. Isn’t the Internet great? And I made many new connections along the way.

My most satisfying project (I don’t want applause) I leave behind was getting involved with the National Park Service. Having years of Search & Rescue training myself, I was able to pass along my experience not only to the Park Rangers but also to local Rescue Teams. My suggestions to the Park Service for improvements go all the way to the top. I was outed last week by the Minister of Parks when he stuck me in front of the news cameras telling Thais to get involved just as this Foreigner did. I have witnessed major improvements in the Parks Service with more to come. My only regret I was unable to convince the Minister to change to fee schedule to allow Foreigners who live here and pay taxes a lower rate. I tried hard but I failed. Who knows he may have a change of heart. Majority of his subs agreed with me by that way so don’t be too critical of them.

My final thing is I married my long time Thai girl friend who is joining me in my next adventure in my homeland, the USA.

That my friends are some of the things you can do as an Expat in a foreign country if you only put your energy into it. I bid you farewell and may your lives be fruitful, plenty and long lasting.  Peace to all of you. Sawadee!

While the OP certainly seems to have had an interesting life here in Thailand and I wish him well back in USofA, there are certainly ways to avoid becoming bored living here in Thailand that require no direct involvement with the Thais.

And, after my first extended periods in Thailand being involved with the Thais at a Foundation under auspices of HM (the late) King, that's just the way I prefer it.

BTW did the OP mean the 'surviving family' and not the 'surveying family'? Spell-checkers can be screwy sometimes.

Edited by JLCrab