POLL: Will Pattaya fake taxi meters turn on their meters long term?

Jingthing

Just how cynical are you about the Pattaya fake taxi meters CRACKDOWN?  

111 members have voted

1. 1. POLL: Will Pattaya fake taxi meters turn on their meters long term?

• Most Pattaya taxi meters will be turned on permanently
    • It will be a mixed bag. About half of the Pattaya taxis will turn on the meters long term and you might have to demand it.
    • There will be some compliance with the meter use order in the short term during a crackdown. Then back to normal. No meters.
    • There won't even be any significant compliance during a short crackdown period. The current status quo of no meters won't change at all, even temporarily.
    • Decline to state / No opinion / Grumpy expat option

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/31/2017 at 04:59 PM

The Pattaya fake taxi meters have been sternly ORDERED to start to turn on their meters.

So, thus this poll, to ask whether over the long term the Pattaya fake taxi meter system will transform into a REAL taxi meter system like Bangkok.

I call the current taxi meters here FAKE for obvious reasons.

As they never turn them on, to display the word METERS on their cars is totally dishonest, and for all we know the meters might just be cosmetic and not even functioning. 

Like all Thaivisa polls it is not scientific, and only for entertainment and discussion purposes only.

Pick the choice that is CLOSEST to what you think. Not every possible prediction is covered in the choices.

Because the topic is about predicting the FUTURE, voting on this poll is set to end at the end of October.

Of course by then we will now if there is at least temporary compliance, or not. 

Edited by Jingthing

I read somewhere months ago that you have to agree a price for the trip with the driver before setting off.

Regardless of what the meter reading is, you had to pay the agreed price, the meter was just a ruse to comply with the law. 

There is more chance of Pattaya bay freezing over than getting these crooks to use their meters.

I don't know who owns the taxis, but I am guessing it's someone 'untouchable' (I've never heard of a taxi driver being caught or fined in Pattaya - but I'm willing to be corrected) so I don't think the regulations will be enforced at all.

Hmm. I've never read an "honest cabbie" story from Pattaya either.

Edited by chickenslegs

1 hour ago, chickenslegs said:

I don't know who owns the taxis, but I am guessing it's someone 'untouchable' (I've never heard of a taxi driver being caught or fined in Pattaya - but I'm willing to be corrected) so I don't think the regulations will be enforced at all.

Now I wonder who owns the taxis in Ko Samui... even Grab/Uber don't dare to set foot there.

This Taxi issue is a case of the locals spiting their own faces or shooting themselves in the foot. I am resident in Koh Samui and the non existence of proper metred taxis is a major issue and perhaps one of the main causes of the horrific amount of traffic accidents caused by drunk people who, rather than taking a cheap and avavilable cab, are often forced because of costs, to ride motor bikes, or drive their cars home drunk. AS with all these Thai situations, you can have as many laws as you like but if the authorities refuse to apply them, they are pointless.

The lack of taxi situations may be acceptable if there were a decent bus system, but even that does not exist at least in Samui. The lack of decent taxis is a major gripe for foreign visitors, however, the locals in Samui are a law unto themselves, and as long as the authorities choose to show a blind eye from Bangkok, not much will change in Samui, as I would guess in Pattaya.

Ah well!!TIT

2 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

There is more chance of Pattaya bay freezing over than getting these crooks to use their meters.

Hmm. I've never read an "honest cabbie" story from Pattaya either.

The taxis are owned by the baht bus cooperative. 

11 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

The taxis are owned by the baht bus cooperative. 

there is more than one company, one is called LOMA TAXI COOPERATIVE, the other(s) I forgot.

But I have no doubt the Baht-Bus "cooperative" is behind them, and as we know, virtually all local transport in TH out of Bangkok is controlled by the BIB and some VIP's.

Then, recently, a much-beloved cooperative called GRAB and UBER appeared  :clap2:

So, this is the "crackdown of the week". The Taxi-guys might turn on their meters for 2 weeks, while the cops make some "spot-checks", somehow. After that, it will be back to "business as usual".

Next weeks "crackdown": Farangs wearing cargo-pants (too easy to walk around with concealed weapons and concealed credit cards).
Cheers.

the no meter rule in Pattaya has been in effect for a very long time... there is absolutely no way this will change unless some huge "permanent" incentives are or penalties are in effect!.  As soon as the leash is loosened it will immediately go back to the way things were. Once something has a foothold it's extremely difficult for things to change. The taxi drivers have been set in their ways and there will be severe resistance to change!

16 hours ago, dotpoom said:

You say they are fake.....so how can they be turned on?

The glove box will have a seal on it, that's where the controller is located - but what I don't get is how the Taxi driver is able to defeat the time on the meter, I got in one that as usual read 35 baht when you sit down, I fastened my belt and looked up and the amount had jumped to 95 baht  -  I always sit in the front seat and didn't see the driver do anything, I pointed at the amount and said 'Tom Mai Maak!!'  he did the hand waggle and didn't say anything.  I had him stop and I got out 200 meters from where I got on, threw fifty baht bill on the seat and walked away.  I am not a big man, but menacing when I am pissed off, I think he was smart not to get out.

Still zero votes for it working long term.

I would have thought a few people would have done joke votes just to punk us.

So IF it turns out this order works and Pattaya taxis become like Bangkok taxis, it might rate as one of the MIRACLES of the ages.

I'm assuming the authorities know the public sees their orders with such deep skepticism. 

So, now I'm curious, why do they even bother with the LIP SERVICE in the first place? 

22 hours ago, lou62 said:

I read somewhere months ago that you have to agree a price for the trip with the driver before setting off.

Regardless of what the meter reading is, you had to pay the agreed price, the meter was just a ruse to comply with the law. 

You heard wrong. 

• 3 weeks later...