Kokette rotisserie chickens

soistalker

I visited there for one of their set 1/2 chicken meals including vegetables and potatoes and posted about that in detail on the Hit and Run Restaurant "Review" thread. I would say if you're only buying it just for the cheapest chicken meat, go to a grocery store or street stand. (Apples and oranges.) If you're looking for a delicious European style roast chicken dinner experience, go to Kokette.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

If you're looking for a delicious European style roast chicken dinner experience, go to Kokette.

I am looking for a big juicy roasted chicken that I can bring home and eat for several meals with sides that I prepare, to include broccoli, bread or rice, etc...

Big C chicken are nothing special. I want something yummy.

47 minutes ago, soistalker said:

I am looking for a big juicy roasted chicken that I can bring home and eat for several meals with sides that I prepare, to include broccoli, bread or rice, etc...

Big C chicken are nothing special. I want something yummy.

Why not try it once and see if it's to your taste or not? I don't think anyone here can know your taste. 

But I can say something objective about my one visit. The portion I got described as 1/2 chicken was unusually LARGE for 1/2 chicken order in a restaurant. 

Edited by Jingthing

7 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Jeeze, why anyone would buy any roast chicken other than five-star is beyond me,

the fried is crap, but the roast is the bomb...and it has the added advantage of being cheap.

You mean that red street chain? I used to eat that often as my chicken source for home cooking but gained lots of weight during that time. I think they inject it with some kind of oil. My guess is palm oil but don't know. It tastes good for a reason. Now I use poached skinless breasts! I wouldn't eat Kokette daily either but my feeling is that whatever they use there is better quality. 

Edited by Jingthing

4 hours ago, mogandave said:

Jeeze, why anyone would buy any roast chicken other than five-star is beyond me,

the fried is crap, but the roast is the bomb...and it has the added advantage of being cheap.

That outfit also owns slaver ships.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, mogandave said:

Yeah, the street chain. They spice it and baste it while they roast it. The sauce is pretty good too. 

Poached skinless chicken breasts, that's hilarious. 

Think of it like tofu. It's good protein. You add the flavor in the cooking with other ingredients.

Very standard chicken potatoes ratatouille that they do not even know how to cook correctly, the French way.

Potatoes should cook in the chicken juice (this is why we put them at the bottom of chicken grill), and this oily
"ratatouille" is a perfect fail especially when knowing how easy it is to do it well.

No special reason to go there as Makro chicken is as good and potatoes + ratatouille are not worth to pay the chicken at higher price.

• Like 1

Information about the sides is completely irrelevant to the O.P. He just wants delicious chicken meat ONLY to take home and prepare the rest of the meal himself. Kokette sells BOTH the chickens only and also the sets.

He's explicitly asking if Kokette chicken meat is good.

I think it's good.

Is it worth the extra cost?

Only he could tell.

What is the big deal for the O.P. to try it ONCE and decide for himself? 

• Haha 1

On 10/2/2017 at 4:35 PM, Jingthing said:

Information about the sides is completely irrelevant to the O.P. He just wants delicious chicken meat ONLY to take home and prepare the rest of the meal himself. Kokette sells BOTH the chickens only and also the sets.

He's explicitly asking if Kokette chicken meat is good.

I think it's good.

Is it worth the extra cost?

Only he could tell.

What is the big deal for the O.P. to try it ONCE and decide for himself? 

Maybe the OP does not want to be cheated like anybody who has eaten there and pretend that this place is any good ?

1 hour ago, dpdp said:

Maybe the OP does not want to be cheated like anybody who has eaten there and pretend that this place is any good ?

That certainly makes sense. The wrong chicken purchase could break the bank of many an expat.

Well, as someone that eats KOKETTE chicken daily (food of the GODS), breakfast, lunch, and dinner, let me assure everyone that KOKETTE chicken is the best of all possible foods, in the best of all possible Thai beach resorts, in the best of all possible worlds. Large delegations of E.U. officials fly in often direct from Brussels on special charter flights just to eat at KOKETTE chicken. Each and every bite of KOKETTE chicken transports each and every eater to an unimaginable state of BLISS. Those that don't appreciate the flavor of KOKETTE chicken are believed to be cursed demons. Believe me.

Also, did I mention, KOKETTE serves GIANT chickens? One KOKETTE chicken feeds a large village for a month, easy. The value for money is simply ridiculous! It's almost as if the chickens are paying you to eat them. Nobody has ever seen such a good deal in chicken eating. 

Bonus tip -- SOUP made with KOKETTE chicken bones is clinically proven to instantly reverse neurofibromatosis (Elephant Man disease) except for cursed demons.

kokette.jpg.62aac970777747ca8064483c2a89a487.jpg

Edited by Jingthing
  • Haha 2

I love chicken but

I HATE GARLIC

In Thailand getting a chicken with no garlic or any other spices is a problem.

There used to be a company on the hill from Pattaya to Jomtien but they moved to the side of Big C Pattaya Clang but i have never seen them open.

If you know of anywhere that just does chicken, NO Garlic or spices,

Please let me know.

I know this isn't the style of chicken the O.P. is interested in, but some others might be interested in how to have low fat chicken meat handy at home for use in all kinds of recipes, including cold chicken in salads.

Bring water to a boil in a large pot. I don't add any seasoning, even salt.

If you want to use the water for soup stock, use bottled water. Otherwise tap is fine.

After the water is boiling well, add skin free chicken breasts making sure the water well covers the meat.

Cover the pot.

Take the pot off the heat and let sit for about 20 minutes. Maybe a bit longer if lots of meat in there / very large breasts, etc.

Some might be concerned that the chicken isn't cooked well enough sitting off the heat, but actually, it is, and there won't be any pink or red inside when using chicken breasts.

Take out to cool. Use what you need right away and store the rest in the fridge. It lasts four or five days.

This style is a variation of a Chinese chicken cooking method which generally uses a whole chicken and includes seasoning in the water. You could try that too and find the recipes online. For that of course you need a very large pot to cover an entire chicken. 

Edited by Jingthing

12 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I know this isn't the style of chicken the O.P. is interested in, but some others might be interested in how to have low fat chicken meat handy at home for use in all kinds of recipes, including cold chicken in salads.

If you want to use the water for soup stock, use bottled water. Otherwise tap is fine.

After the water is boiling well, add skin free chicken breasts making sure the water well covers the meat.

Cover the pot.

Take the pot off the heat and let sit for about 20 minutes. Maybe a bit longer if lots of meat in there / very large breasts, etc.

Take out to cool. Use what you need right away and store the rest in the fridge. It lasts four or five days.

This style is a variation of a Chinese chicken cooking method which generally uses a whole chicken and includes seasoning in the water. You could try that too and find the recipes only. For that of course you need a super large pot to cover an entire chicken. 

I t

13 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Cover the pot.

This style is a variation of a Chinese chicken cooking method which generally uses a whole chicken and includes seasoning in the water. You could try that too and find the recipes only. For that of course you need a super large pot to cover an entire chicken. 

WOW, healthy for sure but where is the flavor?

I have done the same but use chicken stock(you can buy it) and some seasoning.

I do not see at as less healthy, but with much more flavor.

If one likes it plan yes great protein low fat.

5 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I t

WOW, healthy for sure but where is the flavor?

I have done the same but use chicken stock(you can buy it) and some seasoning.

I do not see at as less healthy, but with much more flavor.

If one likes it plan yes great protein low fat.

The flavor is chicken!
I'm not suggesting eating it straight. I've never done that. That isn't the point. 

I use it all kinds of very flavorful, indeed spicy recipes, Asian and western. 

For one example I know in Chinese stir fries you generally cook chicken meat from raw.  I don't like to do that but instead add my sliced chicken meat late in the stir fry (as it's already cooked).

When the water is used for soup stock, which I do alot, I add lots of spices and ingredients as well when cooking the soup. It's a very basic stock of course and would not be good as is. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

The flavor is chicken!
I'm not suggesting eating it straight. I've never done that. That isn't the point. 

I use it all kinds of very flavorful, indeed spicy recipes, Asian and western. 

For one example I know in Chinese stir fries you generally cook chicken meat from raw.  I don't like to do that but instead add my sliced chicken meat late in the stir fry (as it's already cooked).

When the water is used for soup stock, which I do alot, I add lots of spices and ingredients as well when cooking the soup. It's a very basic stock of course and would not be good as is. 

HAHA.  No problem.

Sounds good.

On 9/29/2017 at 7:32 PM, mogandave said:

OK.  But I am just asking you how many times have you actually seen them "cooking" the chicken?

Because, I have not seen it much.  A few times yes.

Sorry, yes it is very good but seems extremely greasy for a "roasted" chicken.  My thinking is some of these places deep fry it for quick cooking and display it for sale.

Maybe I am thinking wrong about this if so sorry...... 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

OK.  But I am just asking you how many times have you actually seen them "cooking" the chicken?

Because, I have not seen it much.  A few times yes.

Sorry, yes it is very good but seems extremely greasy for a "roasted" chicken.  My thinking is some of these places deep fry it for quick cooking and display it for sale.

Maybe I am thinking wrong about this if so sorry...... 

I see them cooking it every night I go by it. The always have fried, the only seem to have roast in the evening. If you go by early  it will still be pretty raw on the spit and you’d have to go back later.

Chicken fat is greasy, and skin-on chicken is pretty fatty.

Roast chicken does not really look fried does it? 

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Cover the pot.

Some might be concerned that the chicken isn't cooked well enough sitting off the heat, but actually, it is, and there won't be any pink or red inside when using chicken breasts.

This style is a variation of a Chinese chicken cooking method which generally uses a whole chicken and includes seasoning in the water. You could try that too and find the recipes online. For that of course you need a very large pot to cover an entire chicken. 

If you’re going to use the stock you throw the skin in with it to boil. It will add a good bit of flavor and the fat floats out if you’re worried about health.

36 minutes ago, mogandave said:

If you’re going to use the stock you throw the skin in with it to boil. It will add a good bit of flavor and the fat floats out if you’re worried about health.

Sure but I agree and bones add flavor too. I choose not too. The pot is much easier to clean as well without the chicken fat. When I make soup plenty of fat (via oil) is added anyway in the spice mixtures I add. Not suggesting the way I do it is the only way or the gourmet way. People are free to adjust to their tastes and needs. 

Edited by Jingthing

43 minutes ago, mogandave said:

I see them cooking it every night I go by it. The always have fried, the only seem to have roast in the evening. If you go by early  it will still be pretty raw on the spit and you’d have to go back later.

Chicken fat is greasy, and skin-on chicken is pretty fatty.

Roast chicken does not really look fried does it? 

I agree they don't fry their roast chickens. But that basting (or possibly injecting) liquid they use looks pretty nasty to me.