Stolen overstay passport

I was going to go and clear my overstay (since July 14) this Sunday 1st but my ex has taken it and is demanding 'salary' for looking after my kids. She's left them with me which is an impossible hassle for work coming this Monday as i dont have anyone to take them.

Anyway, the visa first, then passport, then kids.

This is crazy, she doesnt send them to school, they're 4 and 6 and just plays her phone all day and night 'looking after' them.

I'm here 15 years and this is crushing me.

Edited by justaphase

Going to Laos on the overnight van, not to Changwattana.

Kids are ok now cos theyre with me and i have money to look after them, the passport and visa has about 10 days to sort before it reaches the 90 days so yes that comes first.

The overstay is because she stole 15,000 of my salary (gone in 2 days) and i couldn't go before.

In a big school in Bangkok its easy to work if whatever.

17 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Also you put your children last in your order of priorities, children come first before everything else, not last.

You know, almost invariably whenever an overstay situation by someone with limited funds comes up, there are some on this board that suggest abandoning their family here in Thailand to return to home country. I do not agree with them, but avoiding getting blacklisted from Thailand does seem an important objective right now, even if that does mean neglecting his kids for a couple of days.

If it is like you say. Taking care of the children does not look like she is doing. Demanding money for a job not done, is not possible. After that she stole your passport, of which you have proof in your phone. Why not just go to the police and explain the situation, so you at least get a report from them. The report and Immigration knowledge about you staying 15 years in Thailand will possibly give you some grace with them. Just a logic thought. Good Luck! I hope it can be sorted.

5 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

I'd say go and make a Police report.

She cannot hold your Passport for ransom

I agree about the police report. Tell them who has it and what is going on.

A bit late now but you could of reported it before and gotten a emergency travel document. Some countries issue them that allow you travel like an ordinary passport does.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, james.d said:

IMHO i think a police report is the best first step, you have no guarantees that demands will not increase.

If he reports it to the police, she can inform them of his "easy to work if whatever" (I assume no proper visa or work permit) ... and then? 

This is the problem with engaging in illegal-activity - even something like working to support kids w/o a work-permit.  Now he is not in a position to use police in any capacity, without risk of getting caught in the gears.

So, could claim "lost" passport (false-statement - at least obfuscatory) to get an ETD - or just pay the passport-ransom from the ex.   Seems like the only 2 choices, unless I am missing another angle.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tanoshi said:

He's not going anywhere without a Passport.

Yes exactly

But I found this bit strange & as other posters have mentioned (depending on his situation ) he may have to cough up some funds for the X immediately to give him time to sought out his problem with the kids 

Always two sides to a story.

Perhaps he wasn't paying regular maintenance to his ex, which is why she's took a stance.

Then again if he ends up on over 90 day overstay and is deported and banned for one year, that isn't going to help her case either.

2 hours ago, justaphase said:

I was going to go and clear my overstay (since July 14) this Sunday 1st but my ex has taken it and is demanding 'salary' for looking after my kids. She's left them with me which is an impossible hassle for work coming this Monday as i dont have anyone to take them.

Anyway, the visa first, then passport, then kids.

This is crazy, she doesnt send them to school, they're 4 and 6 and just plays her phone all day and night 'looking after' them.

I'm here 15 years and this is crushing me.

You say your ex is demanding payments for looking after your kids. Does this mean they`re not her kids? If not her children and considering there is no such thing as a common law spouse in Thailand, she may have a legitimate claim as a carer for your children. If she is the mother of your children then you are going to have to talk and come to some arrangement with her whether you like it or not, you`re stuck with her via the children. Seems you have your priorities wrong, It should be first your children, then either your passport or visa, because you come across as if your kids are a burden.

The police may not be interested if reporting your ex wife, girlfriend or whatever she is stole your passport. I doubt immigration will be sympathetic because you have left it too long to report your overstay and why a Sunday when immigration is closed? Doesn`t make sense.

You have created more problems for yourself because you`ve done too little, too late. You`re going to have to face up to your responsibilities. No point in asking us, common sense should guide you on your next moves.

• Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

If he reports it to the police, she can inform them of his "easy to work if whatever" (I assume no proper visa or work permit) ... and then? 

This is the problem with engaging in illegal-activity - even something like working to support kids w/o a work-permit.  Now he is not in a position to use police in any capacity, without risk of getting caught in the gears.

So, could claim "lost" passport (false-statement - at least obfuscatory) to get an ETD - or just pay the passport-ransom from the ex.   Seems like the only 2 choices, unless I am missing another angle.

Agree entirely.  She may have taken possession of the passport but as he is A) on overstay and B) it sounds like is working illegally, it's optimistic to think the police will just turn a blind eye to that.

This is a very nasty situation indeed.  While I despise those who exert control over others and manipulate a situation / blackmail for their own benefit, it might be worth giving this woman some money in lieu of her caring for the kids to get the passport back.  It seems like the quickest and easiest solution, assuming it's not a large sum of money.  Once you have the passport back, race to the border to sort out your overstay and get a new visa....and when you return, you're going to have some serious decisions to make about your interactions with this woman.

I don't believe you will be allowed entry to Laos when you have had an overstay in Thailand. I have had a couple of friends denied boarding at Suvarnabhumi to Laos for precisely that reason. I don't know if the land border is more tolerant, but I would recommend double checking before you go there.

3 minutes ago, MarkusAUST said:

I don't believe you will be allowed entry to Laos when you have had an overstay in Thailand. I have had a couple of friends denied boarding at Suvarnabhumi to Laos for precisely that reason. I don't know if the land border is more tolerant, but I would recommend double checking before you go there.

It is not a problem at most border crossings to Laos. At Mukdahan it can be a problem with Thai immigration not allowing him to leave the country since they do not want to clear long overstays. It appears he will be doing the crossing at Nong Khai so it will not be a problem.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Always two sides to a story.

Perhaps he wasn't paying regular maintenance to his ex, which is why she's took a stance.

Then again if he ends up on over 90 day overstay and is deported and banned for one year, that isn't going to help her case either.

Sounds like the guy has been having problems for a while since he missed his July 14 th date then realized some 2.5 mths later that he doesn't have his passport, you usually take all that important stuff with you 

So now He has to get that back 

8 minutes ago, mstevens said:

Agree entirely.  She may have taken possession of the passport but as he is A) on overstay and B) it sounds like is working illegally, it's optimistic to think the police will just turn a blind eye to that.

This is a very nasty situation indeed.  While I despise those who exert control over others and manipulate a situation / blackmail for their own benefit, it might be worth giving this woman some money in lieu of her caring for the kids to get the passport back.  It seems like the quickest and easiest solution, assuming it's not a large sum of money.  Once you have the passport back, race to the border to sort out your overstay and get a new visa....and when you return, you're going to have some serious decisions to make about your interactions with this woman.

According to the OP she stole 15,000 baht, which he states is the reason he's now on overstay.

It's taken him 12 weeks to save again to pay of his overstay and get another Visa.

It seems his 'illegal' work isn't that well paid to support his bachelor lifestyle and provide sufficient maintenance to his ex.

Not an easy situation to resolve.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It is not a problem at most border crossings to Laos. At Mukdahan it can be a problem with Thai immigration not allowing him to leave the country since they do not want to clear long overstays. It appears he will be doing the crossing at Nong Khai so it will not be a problem.

So are you saying up to 90 day over stay Nong Khai will stamp him out after clearing overstay money?. Very confusing as normaly you tell people to exit via airport on overstay! That is of course if he is not arrested before he gets to the border.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, justaphase said:

If i report my passport to the police, they don't have to know I'm on overstay. If i take the report to Changwattana and pay 20,000 do u think they will give me grace until i get a new passport? 

No they won't. They might send you the detention center. Never a good idea to go to immigration with a long overstay. 

If your embassy will do a emergency travel document that allows travel to anywhere you could still leave to Laos and pay the overstay on departure and apply for the visa.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

So are you saying up to 90 day over stay Nong Khai will stamp him out after clearing overstay money?

Not exactly. That was in reply to a post about not being able to fly into Laos and confirming it is not a problem at a border crossing.

she can't just hold you to ransom like that. you need to speak to your ex and tell her and make sure she understands that if she doesn't return your passport she will be getting no funds from you in the future. tell her that if it isn't returned then you really have no choice but to go to the police. if she still doesn't return it, see your local police and explain to them with some money