SURVEY: Should Yingluck be granted political asylum?

Scott

SURVEY: Should Yingluck be granted political asylum?  

364 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, funandsuninbangkok said:

Brave woman who, for a political novice, excelled. Thailand will be much less for losing her. 

You must be a recent arrival. I covered her brother & her. Scammers start to finish. The Hakka are notorious, even back in China. Do some research.

Quite simply the Junta are UNLAWFULLY in power in Thailand. Regardless of what Yingluck may have or may not have done it is quite hard to believe that a court here have been impartial with their ruling. Good luck Yingluck. Hope you get back here one day once democracy is restored. 

6 minutes ago, TC206 said:

Quite simply the Junta are UNLAWFULLY in power in Thailand. Regardless of what Yingluck may have or may not have done it is quite hard to believe that a court here have been impartial with their ruling. Good luck Yingluck. Hope you get back here one day once democracy is restored. 

Since they took power, I've held back on commenting on Thai politics, either way. Just accepting the reality. People living outside of Thailand may feel more free to comment. But I just can't ever see Yingluck or any Thaksin crony as any kind of innocent turtle doves. 

Anyway, she's got to live somewhere. 

Edited by Jingthing

1 hour ago, sn1per said:

Really  ...the court ruled for Apichart and his rice trading firm, namely Siam Indica Co., to give the Ministry of Finance a sum of 497 million U.S. dollars in compensation to pay for the state losses in the rigged rice deals.

Thought we were discussing YL, not some other peripheral case. 

2 minutes ago, TC206 said:

Ignorance might really be bliss. Which particular "democracy" do you mean? The ones bought by Thaksin (Bt 500 per villager made by "kamnan" at gunpoint) or UK "one man vote". Wake up. Only educated, urban Thais & Sino-Thais have a chance at democracy, and they all voted against Thaksin. The Americans, Thaksin's backers, worked a better game.  Con the "legal" majority. It worked. Then Thaksin followed orders, selling off efficient govt industries to foreign speculators. PTT went first, fuel prices jumped (to pay foreign shareholders). When he tried to sell EGAT (electricity) the military warned him. When he sold his telecomms holdings, which included a military satellite,  to Temasak, the Lee family's Singapore corporation - and refused to pay tax - the military threw him out, with Bangkok's approval. Still "love democracy"? Do some research or go back to sleep.  

11 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Since they took power, I've held back on commenting on Thai politics, either way. Just accepting the reality. People living outside of Thailand may feel more free to comment. But I just can't ever see Yingluck or any Thaksin crony as any kind of innocent turtle doves. 

Anyway, she's got to live somewhere. 

She has a room waiting here, but she prefers foreign lands.

My view is somewhat conflicting.

Yes, she was guilty of turning a blind eye to a corrupt deal she knew about. No, it was not 5 years worth of guilt. No, she should not have been prosecuted. No, she definitely should not be granted asylum as she is rich enough to not need it.

Just now, khunken said:

My view is somewhat conflicting.

Yes, she was guilty of turning a blind eye to a corrupt deal she knew about. No, it was not 5 years worth of guilt. No, she should not have been prosecuted. No, she definitely should not be granted asylum as she is rich enough to not need it.

Your view is an opinion, of value only to you. I read (and wrote) the facts. That's different. Even with your opinion, you admit she's guilty of collusion in fraud of billions of baht, obstruction of justice and absconding. How much jail time is that worth in your country? 

3 minutes ago, jgarbo said:

Your view is an opinion, of value only to you. I read (and wrote) the facts. That's different. Even with your opinion, you admit she's guilty of collusion in fraud of billions of baht, obstruction of justice and absconding. How much jail time is that worth in your country? 

Yes my view is my opinion and no, you wrote your opinion - not facts. No, I didn't 'admit' to collusion (turning a blind eye is not collusion). Nor did I admit to obstruction of justice - which is definitely not a fact.

Don't try to put your words in my mouth - it's fake posting.

26 minutes ago, jgarbo said:

No, your post is your opinion,  or perhaps it could be described as your interpretation of what has happened; that you have a flair for caustic writing does not make your opinions any more valid than anyone else's.

Edited by JAG

Just now, khunken said:

Yes my view is my opinion and no, you wrote your opinion - not facts. No, I didn't 'admit' to collusion (turning a blind eye is not collusion). Nor did I admit to obstruction of justice - which is definitely not a fact.

Don't try to put your words in my mouth - it's fake posting.

Sorry, knowledge of a crime and not reporting it is collusion, punishable under law. Obstructing criminal investigations is also a crime. Absconding, as her convicted brother did, is also a  crime. Perhaps not in your country, but certainly in mine. 

Since when is a lawfully elected representative of the people prosecuted (persecuted) for an approved program the people supported? As a recent example, George Bush & Dick Chaney boldly lied to the American people about Iraq in order to start a multi trillion dollar war which Chaney especially personally profited from. The UN report stated the investigation of Iraq WMD's revealed there were none. 

I believe Yingluck campaigned on the rice pledging plan which I understand legally won her the election. I believe her wealthy opponents put all efforts towards manipulating the price of rice to assure her plan was a failure so they could stage another military overthrow. 

10 minutes ago, jgarbo said:

Sorry, knowledge of a crime and not reporting it is collusion, punishable under law. Obstructing criminal investigations is also a crime. Absconding, as her convicted brother did, is also a  crime. Perhaps not in your country, but certainly in mine. 

You don't know the meaning of 'collusion', definition:

agreement between people to act together secretly or illegally in order to deceive or cheat someone:

It is thought that they worked in collusion with the terrorist network.

Turning a blind eye is ignoring not colluding. I never mentioned absconding - straw man argument.

You are looking like a troll.
Edited by khunken

36 minutes ago, jgarbo said:

Ignorance might really be bliss. Which particular "democracy" do you mean? The ones bought by Thaksin (Bt 500 per villager made by "kamnan" at gunpoint) or UK "one man vote". Wake up. Only educated, urban Thais & Sino-Thais have a chance at democracy, and they all voted against Thaksin. The Americans, Thaksin's backers, worked a better game.  Con the "legal" majority. It worked. Then Thaksin followed orders, selling off efficient govt industries to foreign speculators. PTT went first, fuel prices jumped (to pay foreign shareholders). When he tried to sell EGAT (electricity) the military warned him. When he sold his telecomms holdings, which included a military satellite,  to Temasak, the Lee family's Singapore corporation - and refused to pay tax - the military threw him out, with Bangkok's approval. Still "love democracy"? Do some research or go back to sleep.  

Thank you for this interesting post.I would quite like to understand this better.Can you kindly direct me to the research material you refer to - books,articles etc - which back up your findings.Many thanks in advance.