US media tend to pay less attention to Trump-Prayut meeting

webfact

US media tend to pay less attention to Trump-Prayut meeting

By Thai PBS

trump.jpg

Washington – US President Donald Trump and Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha are to meet at the White House on Monday (Oct 2), but US media are likely to pay more attention to domestic issues ranging from aids to Puerto Rico devastated by  Hurricane Maria to racial tensions in the US than the Thai PM’s visit, according to some Washington-based reporters.

The White House issued the first statement regarding Prime Minister Prayut’s visit earlier last week, confirming that President Trump will welcome the prime minister on Tuesday (Oct 3), but, two days later, the White House announced that the meeting between the two leaders would be moved forward to Monday.

“President Donald Trump will welcome Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha of Thailand to the White House on October 2, 2017, not on October 3, 2017 as previously announced. President Trump looks forward to reaffirming  the relationship between the United States and a key partner and longstanding ally in Asia, the Kingdom of Thailand,” the White House statement said without giving any reason behind the rescheduling of the meeting.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/us-media-tend-pay-less-attention-trump-prayut-meeting/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-10-02

From what I have been reading Trump was in a pretty foul mood when in Puerto Rico and was breathing fire on anyone within who came within range.

For the meeting's sake I hope Trump is in a better mood on 2/10 otherwise sparks could fly if they both get a bit testy.

1 hour ago, davehowden said:

" without giving any reason behind the rescheduling of the meeting. "

Trump has to visit his  psychoanalyst ever Tuesday ?

He's going to Porto Rico on Tuesday to view the hurricane damage 

Over three million people on the island and now 9 days after the hurricane he's touting the he  has already delivered 1 million meals and 1 million bottles of water.  UI hope that they roast him good as his math isn't good, 1/3 of a meal per person and 1/3 of a bottle of water in nine days. The new Trump diet!.

55 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

I can understand why the press have little or no interest. On an intellectual level it will be like Elmer Fudd sitting down with Wile E Coyote.

Come on show a little respect. Elmer and Wile are great characters not like the association you refer to

None here in the US give a rats rump about the self appointed PM

He is not having a meeting as much he has been likely summoned as a dog & told to heel for one reason

He will likely be told he is tolerated & just by a hair.

Let it be known you lay down with the other useless fat piece of meat from North Korea & you

will be tolerated no more.

Recently Leaked Memo

Mr. Prime Minister:

Flatter this leader at every opportunity.  Work his name into every conversation.  Tell him how impressed you are concerning his huge landslide win even though he lost by nearly 3 million votes.   This strategy seemed to work well for the prime minister of Japan.   And under no circumstances, say anything about the length of his fingers while shaking hands.  That is all.  

6 hours ago, Cadbury said:

. . . . . I hope Trump is in a better mood on 2/10 otherwise sparks could fly if they both get a bit testy.

Surprised you feel that way, since I want, so badly, that Trump will make Thailand's PM (Pretend Man) feel like the pretender he is. Will this meeting be anything other than a pain in the arse for the mega-busy Mr Trump? Prayuth will try to maintain a stupid smile from curtain up to curtain down, provided Prawit has pulled the right strings.

And, on the world political stage, almost a non-event . . . OK, then, a TOTAL non-event, in terms of its likely ZERO outcomes

1 hour ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Trump will be doing a big rice deal with Thailand, so he can help people In Florida, Texas and

the Carribean, you know the Donald  just trying to look out for the people,

Sarcasm.

Geezer

I appreciate the sarcasm.

But rice is a major export for the US.

During the first 5 months of 2017, total U.S. rice exports (converted basis) were 23% ahead of exports during the same period of 2016 in volume and 10 percent ahead in value. https://www.usarice.com/blogs/usa-rice-daily/2017/07/19/u.s.-rice-exports-shine-in-2017

There is no desperate need for the US to import rice to be used as emergency aid.

But Trump might have a need for a Trump Tower franchise in Thailand.

4 hours ago, yellowboat said:

The average American only thinks of Thailand when he is getting his radiator replaced in his Toyota pick up truck. 

ahh no they most definetly don't think of Thailand when getting a radiator replaced.

The USA does have the more Thai restaurants than any other country,  outside of Thailand.  I'd imagine when they are tucking into Pat Thai or a Green Curry dish it might cross there mind. 

7 hours ago, Ossy said:

Surprised you feel that way, since I want, so badly, that Trump will make Thailand's PM (Pretend Man) feel like the pretender he is. Will this meeting be anything other than a pain in the arse for the mega-busy Mr Trump? Prayuth will try to maintain a stupid smile from curtain up to curtain down, provided Prawit has pulled the right strings.

And, on the world political stage, almost a non-event . . . OK, then, a TOTAL non-event, in terms of its likely ZERO outcomes

Yeah just riding the wave Prayut hoping his hold on the country won't surface 

6 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

ahh no they most defilaos and hmongnetly don't think of Thailand when getting a radiator replaced.

The USA does have the more Thai restaurants than any other country,  outside of Thailand.  I'd imagine when they are tucking into Pat Thai or a Green Curry dish it might cross there mind. 

most of those rests are laos or hmong; just thai label on them