DPM Prawit orders crime crackdown in tourist destinations

webfact

1 hour ago, Jimbo in Thailand said:

Hmmm.... Oct 2017 - May 2014.  That's only 3 years 5 months since the self-proclaimed "anti-corruption" regime seized power.   And it's only just now announcing it will...

OMG, or should I say OH MY BUDDHA?!  Exactly W_T_F has Fearless Leader and his regime been doing for the past 3 1/2 years?  Can anyone recall even one single instance where the regime has actually targeted and successfully stamped out corruption by any individual(s), organization(s), or [fill in the blank] entity?  I seem to remember the military assault on a remote beach in northern Phuket for beach chair violations way back in late 2014 IIRC.  Other than that I confess that I'm drawing a blank.  And not only is the Russian mafia apparently still thriving here in the former Land of Smiles but a recent visit to Nana area on Sukhumvit revealed the Nigerian mafia, as well as Middle Eastern variants, seem to also be exploding in growth.

T.I.T.

You forgot the much vaunted Bicycle Lanes in BKK.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OMG - yet another 'meaningless' announcement from on high! 

Dear Mr DPM,

Your RTP should be doing this all the time - it is their job. Duh!

And does your definition of 'crime' include corruption? 

If NOT it should do!

Kick some a**, dismiss some incompetents (despite their rank or connections), stop with the face saving announcements, get real and drag Thailand (perhaps kicking and screaming) into the modern world!!

3 hours ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

A crackdown on dark influential figures - just don't mention my Hawaii trip and our attitude adjustment program or how we ended democracy in Thailand.

In case the DPM needs help to identify another local hot bed of influential figures tangled up in crimes of all sort, many TV members may want to give him a hint. But then I think, he already knows them quite well.

3 hours ago, Jimbo in Thailand said:

Hmmm.... Oct 2017 - May 2014.  That's only 3 years 5 months since the self-proclaimed "anti-corruption" regime seized power.   And it's only just now announcing it will...

OMG, or should I say OH MY BUDDHA?!  Exactly W_T_F has Fearless Leader and his regime been doing for the past 3 1/2 years?  Can anyone recall even one single instance where the regime has actually targeted and successfully stamped out corruption by any individual(s), organization(s), or [fill in the blank] entity?  I seem to remember the military assault on a remote beach in northern Phuket for beach chair violations way back in late 2014 IIRC.  Other than that I confess that I'm drawing a blank.  And not only is the Russian mafia apparently still thriving here in the former Land of Smiles but a recent visit to Nana area on Sukhumvit revealed the Nigerian mafia, as well as Middle Eastern variants, seem to also be exploding in growth.

T.I.T.

Hmm, I seem to recall the police conducted some high level spec ops sting on the foreign bridge club in Pattaya and arrested the russian tourists feeding fish. This is impressive police work....NOT!

All in all prayut seems to have his priorities messed up as human rights violations abound, police corruption is endemic, murderers and criminal defendants flee the country frequently.

Dark influential figures. 

I would  alledge Top Cops,  Army brass, Polititians and other moneyed creeps who attained great I'll gotten wealth.

No point beating around the bush. 

Edited by Oziex1

What was that Thai crime fugitive figure that i read in here recently... if i recall correctly it was something like 800,000 Thai's on the run with warrants out for them.... MAKES ME LAUGH when they announce a crackdown on 'the foreign mafia / dark side types'... LOL

A lot of the comments are quite funny and accurate in their stinging irony.

Personnally, though, I have a hard time laughing when I read this article, because fundamentally this man is clamouring, at the highest level of state, a brand of pure, unadulterated hatred and contempt for foreigners. He's aping what the worst demagogues around the planet are constantly doing : pinning all of their country's problems on other people's backs, throwing oil into the xenophobic fire and thereby driving this poor, aching world deeper into insanity.

It's not that there are no bad guys, foreign or local, in Pattaya. There is a mafia problem in this city and we (both Thais and foreign expats) all know it. But the angle he chooses makes one thing very clear : the authorities are not interested in solving that problem, all they want is to blame it on someone else. How tragically immature, self-serving ... and downright depressing.

The highest irony in all this : by going on and on with this anti-foreigner stance, the present governement will succeed in gradually chasing the normal, law abiding and good people who elected to live here, while the mafias, who don't give a damn and are used to going around the law, will not only stay on but likely prosper even more.

Edited by Yann55

6 hours ago, jaywalker said:

The Pattaya BIB must be shaking in their boots. They'll have to arrest themselves, which not only means work , but that they'll have to haul themselves in to jail.

yikes ......makes a tough day for the bad guys

6 hours ago, jaywalker said:

The Pattaya BIB must be shaking in their boots. They'll have to arrest themselves, which not only means work , but that they'll have to haul themselves in to jail.

I read the article as it is "foreign Mafia gangs" – should not be impolite and mention it, but based on what you post, one could presume that some jobs are reserved for Thais only..?:whistling:

16 minutes ago, khunPer said:

I read the article as it is "foreign Mafia gangs" – should not be impolite and mention it, but based on what you post, one could presume that some jobs are reserved for Thais only..?:whistling:

Labeled " organized criminals in uniform " By the UN.

6 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Yes, all those FOREIGNERS are ruining Thai tourist destinations.

You would think that the foreigners would be polite enough to send their wallets and stay away!

Bloody foreigners!

There just old shit talkers further hurting farang tourism. There not suited to rum a 7 Eleven.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

DPM Prawit orders crime crackdown in tourist destinations

By Thai PBS

0110002.jpg

Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwan has ordered a crackdown on foreign Mafia gangs, dark influential figures and foreign illegal immigrants in tourist destinations nationwide.

Defence Ministry’s spokesman Maj-Gen Kongcheep Tantrawanich said that the deputy prime minister had ordered all branches of the security apparatus, including the military and police, to get tough in earnest with illegal elements residing in tourist destinations such as Pattaya and Phuket.

Targeted for the crackdown operations are dark influential figures, foreign illegal immigrants and fraud gangs involved in prostitution, money laundering, drug and human trafficking and call centre scam.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/dpm-prawit-orders-crime-crackdown-tourist-destinations/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-10-02

Of course, this is the now accepted 'gov-speak'; when what is said is, in fact, the opposite of what is meant. They couldn't possibly say that for fear of us laughing at them.

Yes, to the dark, bad guys, illegal immigrants and mafia gangs, now living, it would seem, an accepted and un-harassed life of Riley in the Patt-Phuk ghettoes, the much-maligned P2 is, in fact, telling them to feel free to up-the-ante, thus improving the Tourist scene in those towns; more drugs, more prostitutes equals more visitors . . . everyone knows that and no amount of free champers is going to change it. You gotta hand it to Prawit, though; the 'cunning plan' was his all along so let's give credit where its due . . . just watch those figures soar, this winter . . . crime figures, that is.

Edited by Ossy
punctuation

9 hours ago, jaywalker said:

Na, they just ask themselves to report and like most other things this will be forgotten or overlooked in a few days and life will return to normal.  And before they can effect an arrest they will have to know where they are and you know how difficult it is for them to locate criminals here or anywhere else for that matter, so I cannot see how they would know where they were in order to arrest themselves. :wai:

Pretty sure we had this already 2 years ago as excuse to clear influencial people from the other side of the political divide: Samut Prakam was it?

Though the police and military are in the clear, he said foreign mafia and dark influencial figures...

So the local national mafias must arrest all the other mafias, might find some dough to send upstairs as well in the process :whistling:

"Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwan has ordered a crackdown on foreign Mafia gangs, dark influential figures and foreign illegal immigrants in tourist destinations nationwide."

Why would the DPM need to issue this order, Surely the Police and Army know what needs to be done ?