Can a foreigner win Thai lottery?

Chobmak

2 hours ago, ghworker2010 said:

meaningless comment from bored member is working. 

If OP wants to raise a thread about anything he/ she can do so. This is not North korea. 

And if someone wants to comment on the post, he/she is free to do it. This is not Trumpville. 

Yes, I've won loads of times.  As people have said, local shop for small prizes and they want about ฿80 commission on a ฿2,000 prize as it saves you going to Bangkok to claim it.  For big prizes, go to Bangkok.  I only ever send a Thai to get the money from a shop though, as I assume the shops just won't deal with a farang.

Quite honestly, it's not really worth playing as the odds are so low that really it's just a tax on the poor.  But a dream is a dream so maybe that's why they don't tell you the odds and spoil everything.

1 hour ago, sikishrory said:

I used to buy tickets a lot but I remember looking on the website at the terms and conditions and seeing that you need to be Thai or something to collect a large sum. So I stopped buying them. 

My girlfriend assures me in this event she would be quite happy to cash the ticket for me and hand over the sum promptly and happily. :cheesy:

9 hours ago, Chobmak said:

Is it possible for a foreigner to win I mean collect the prize?

I've bought the tickets a few times but never won anything.

Absolutely. Way back when I won Bt5000 on a two number ticket. These days I buys condos. Less profit but safer long term.

7 hours ago, starky said:

Thaivisa search function not working?

It rarely does, why would today be any different?  Don't bother running a search and posting a success in this instance.  Generally speaking,  since the last upgrade the search function went completely to shit.  

Come to think about the post notes in the film "Air America", which is supposed to be based on true facts and real characters:

Gene Ryack joined his family in Thailand. He started 6 business which failed, in 1975 he won the Thai State Lottery.

Billy Covington went to Thailand and eventually became a computer whiz. In 1976 he was deported for fixing the Thai State Lottery.

11 hours ago, sikishrory said:

I used to buy tickets a lot but I remember looking on the website at the terms and conditions and seeing that you need to be Thai or something to collect a large sum. So I stopped buying them. 

I know a foreigner who won several million and collected with no issue. However you are probably saving money not buying as the chance of winning a big prize is so astronomically low.

No problem, for small winnings you can collect your money from those shop vendors I think they charge 2 % commissions. For larger amount which I won 6 millions few years ago I went to BKK GLO Office and was given a cheque, simple as that. BTW 2% of 6 mil is 120000 baht. :partytime2:

22 hours ago, DiDiChok said:

Yes, I've won loads of times.  As people have said, local shop for small prizes and they want about ฿80 commission on a ฿2,000 prize as it saves you going to Bangkok to claim it.  For big prizes, go to Bangkok.  I only ever send a Thai to get the money from a shop though, as I assume the shops just won't deal with a farang.

Quite honestly, it's not really worth playing as the odds are so low that really it's just a tax on the poor.  But a dream is a dream so maybe that's why they don't tell you the odds and spoil everything.

I used to buy the Lotto in Sydney but gave it away as a lost cause

I had a grandfather in the UK who was always going to win on the football pools and  I have a relative there who at 81 years old reckons he is going to win the European

lottery but I think time is running out

However as they say

” You have to be in it to win it”

These days I cannot even win an argument with my wife

Yes, I have wone 2 big prizes in the past 12 years, one for 450,000 and another for 100,000, and loads of smaller prizes  -  as stated, large prizes go to the Government Lottery  Office, they will give you a check and deduct a small tax, years ago, we could go to the bank and exchange the tickets, don;t know if that is possible anymore. 

12 hours ago, garbolino said:

SAME FOR UK LOTTERY when it first came out in 1995 it was stated that the chance of winning was 14 million to one......even so there is JUST that chance one could win big money so worth buying a ticket in my opinion

When I first emigrated to New Zealand there were only 3.500.000 people.I never won anything except the smallest prizes which covered my ticket costs. !!!!! Some are lucky some are not,but I got to say I am very happy here after 10 yrs

On 02/10/2017 at 3:36 PM, ghworker2010 said:

meaningless comment from bored member is working. 

If OP wants to raise a thread about anything he/ she can do so. This is not North korea. 

How's it a meaningless comment you twit? The meaning is in the fact that there must hundreds of threads asking this question and with 3 seconds of research could find the answer quite easily don't even need to find on Thaivisa. Have a crack a though mate its all in good fun you are allowed to bag me just as much as I bagged him so it's all gravy IMO.

19 hours ago, balo said:

I won 5000 baht and collected the money , no need to bring a Thai.

If you win the big one , millions of baht, maybe better to bring a Thai lawyer . :smile:

A Lawyer of any nationality is not who you want around you when you receive money, as they are instinctively raised to relieve you of as much as they can!!!!!

On 10/2/2017 at 5:52 PM, Suradit69 said:

And if someone wants to comment on the post, he/she is free to do it. This is not Trumpville. 

you wish you were in trumpville  , all lib's do .

22 hours ago, balo said:

I won 5000 baht and collected the money , no need to bring a Thai.

If you win the big one , millions of baht, maybe better to bring a Thai lawyer . :smile:

why would you put a knife to your own throat  ?  some things i read  here are perplexing  , do you feel the lotto chiefs would bamboozel you if you won the big prize ?   yikes ......

An accountant freind of mine told me to spend 100 usd a year in lottery tickets. Rational is: we all waste that amount of money per year on stuff we do not need.. And the chance of winning is zero if I did not buy a lottery ticket.. So spend the 100 dollars on something that had a tiny tiny chance of being a really good "investment".

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 10/2/2017 at 11:55 PM, khunPer said:

Come to think about the post notes in the film "Air America", which is supposed to be based on true facts and real characters:

"Gene Ryack joined his family in Thailand. He started 6 business which failed, in 1975 he won the Thai State Lottery.

Billy Covington went to Thailand and eventually became a computer whiz. In 1976 he was deported for fixing the Thai State Lottery".

Typical of the Thai system, they train you to be very good and when you show how good you are.....they deport you!!

Edited by TPI
Additional information added

I won 10,000 Bt a few years ago. Less fee's at the local big shop that buys up the winning tickets, I think I ended up with about 9500. You can go to BKK for the full amount, less tax, but it's not worth it unless you win big.