Shirtless Farangs

Pilotman

9 hours ago, dbrenn said:

True. Perhaps I should have said that travel has become so easy, rather then cheap. Until budget airlines, Agoda and the like made travel so easy, generally only the more intrepid people would make it as far as Thailand, with the great unwashed only venturing as far as Benidorm. Now, disgusting lager louts are everywhere in Thailand, like a plague, with total disregard for local customs and giving us all a bad reputation.

Only for the Europeans and USA people...us Aussies have been coming for decades...it is after all on our back doorstep. As is Bali.

8 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

I did not give permission...what, wait...oh, that isn't me I wear shorter shorts... Like it or not, agree or not, I think what Dad taught me has some truth. You are judged by your appearance. I do think it depends to the environment. I just gave away my suits and all but 1 sport coat. Simply have little to no need for the dress shirts and ties I wore in teaching daily in the states. Hmmm, 5 pair of dress shoes also seem to be taking up room needlessly.

I agree, and o make sure the Indians Hawking suits understand...now I can walk down beach road shop side without getting hassled, now to work on the massage girls..:saai:

8 hours ago, wildewillie89 said:

Not restricted to beach areas. Up in Isaan many do exactly the same. Ride motorbikes shirtless, or walk around with the shirt undone - it seems mostly to display their tattoos. Almost like they are in their late teens again. You say hello to them in passing and they barely have enough confidence to lift their eyes from the ground to acknowledge you back. It is odd. Maybe a mid life crisis? 

Walking around your immediate neighbourhood is completely acceptable, many of the locals do the same. There is no need to wear formal or even near formal dress, just shorts, tshirt and thongs (flip flops), whether you are going to Tesco or Immigration. Obviously not have offensive logos on the shirt.  

Only things like work and celebrations (wedding, funerals, work related events etc) warrant anything more in my opinion. 

The only time I get in strife is if I want to wear my good old faithful well worn Stubbies outside of the yard.

The old girls bellyaches until I put on something slightly longer to go to town.

I'm sure she could stitch them up where I tore the arse out of them.

Mind you, with my legs I can understand her totally.

I stand firm on wearing thongs though....gotta maintain a bit of the Aussie culture and pride while also acknowledging the local traditions.

That's not a real drama...everyone else wears thongs anyway! Except those that go barefoot.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, JRUSA said:

Ok.. so you wouldn't mind running into him in Tesco..

No, not at all. I may even say to my mrs , look that old guy got a slim fit body and good tan too. My mrs may get arouse. You never know with women.

On 10/3/2017 at 8:44 AM, Pilotman said:

Why do so many Farangs walk and ride about shirtless off the beach areas?  Okay, if you  are lucky enough to look like Adonis on a good day then maybe you have some justification and pride in your own body ( although I would save it for the beach and pool)  but the ones I  inevitably see are old, fat and  look ridiculous. I saw one in  SCG yesterday and  another two in Tesco the day before.  I could hear the Thais talking about them and  their appearance in the most derogatory terms.  I just dont get it. 

I agree its dreadful. People have no sense of shame or dignity.  I have seen topless guys in Tuk Com and in Sukhumvit in Bangkok.. They are just really stupid, unaware, insensitive people who know no better.

• Like 2

On 10/3/2017 at 8:44 AM, Pilotman said:

Why do so many Farangs walk and ride about shirtless off the beach areas? 

Thais males out in the sticks dress in a similar manner. Same same but darker.

image.jpeg.0b01fd9c62c9233d3f64d605d679c08a.jpeg

By the way has anyone seen pictures of a Thai gent at a shopping mall in Germany?

Edited by sinbin
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

Cheap flights to blame. Never saw garbage like this 40 years ago. 

A lot is Australian and Russian culture. Aussies have no sense of style or tradition of dressing up, no fashion icons, no mods, no history of textiles. In some parts of Australia they even wear boys shorts for work and think rubber sandals are appropriate footwear for public company. As for the Russians...look to their leader posing topless. Its not just topless men but those ugly bare feet and dirty yellow toe nails exposed in flip flops and thongs.  But such people have no self awareness and are usually unhappy because they get ripped off and disrespected...all over the civilised world. In smart parts of Australia such style of dress is just considered country bumpkin. Whether British, Russian Thai or Australian naked tops, armpit hair, dirty feet reflect a lack of sensitivity and ignorance. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gillyflower said:

Well I see quite a few of those, from early in the morning in my small town in the SW of France.

Beer? France?

Surely a spot of the delightful French (under the) table wine :tongue:

2 hours ago, madusa said:

It's the heat Pilotman, it's the heat. So don't blame them. Are they supposed to suffer the heat because you don't like the look of their bodies?

Are they supposed to have a 6 pack ab? They don't go to gym you know. They drink beer all day long to cool down. Please look the other way if you don't like their beer belly. I don't like Trump blond hair and Kim chubby face, what do I do? Complain on Thaivisa  forum?

That probably the dumbest reply I have ever read. 

• Like 1

On 10/3/2017 at 9:23 AM, impulse said:

In over 6 years, I've never left my BKK apartment complex without long pants, a collared shirt and socks.  And within the complex, the only time I'm missing one of those items is to swim in the pool.

Still, I object to characterizing any human being as "quality" or not, based on what they wear in the tropics on holiday.  While I'm appalled at the appearance of some of the nicest, most generous people I know, it's easy to separate the person from their quirks.

They may have different standards of dress than I do, but that doesn't make them less than me, or anyone else walking the planet. 

Jesus man, live a little.

2 hours ago, Ossy said:

Abuse for a verbal challenge, yes; especially given the usual 16 18 20 stone or more of these 'hunks'. What I do, if there's an ugly, overhanging pod or hideous tattoos on 25% of his body, is to make an obvious glare, almost like a double-take, at the offending item/s . . . even turning and pointing, as if asking my wife, 'do you know that guy?' It's surprising how many of them look uneasy at this visual challenge and there's no way they're going to kick up about it . . . try it someday, espec. if the Mrs is on your arm.

Your Mrs on my arm...I'll remember to do the pointing thing

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ossy said:

Farang trash that too often almost make us ashamed to be of the same colour. Pathetic poser, outside or inside, and no doubt convinced that the Big C girl will have the hots for him.

How do you know she has a Big C?

• Haha 1

On 10/3/2017 at 9:10 AM, pgrahmm said:

Because they are devoid of decency & respect for the culture and the people of that culture....

Odds are good these people would represent themselves badly/cluelessly/carelessly anywhere....

It sad when they dress worse than the Thais + stick out like sore thumbs....Makes all of us look bad....

Have you never seen how hi-so Thais dress in farang countries? Don't you read the papers?  chitown.gif

Edited by sinbin

20 minutes ago, sinbin said:

Have you never seen how hi-so Thais dress in farang countries? Don't you read the papers?

I lived with/in/among the Thai people in the SF & Los Angeles areas + was involved with planning, surveying, & negotiating the possible move of Thai town from the L.A. area to the northern part of the East Bay.....

So - yes....

Edited by pgrahmm
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, observer90210 said:

Perhaps the shirtless chaps should patronize european nudist colonies and refrain from Thailand ?

Considering the price and the fine service of Thai laundry one could doubt that it is just to save a shirt from the regular wash, that makes them go topless....

And perhaps the stuffed shirt chaps should have stayed in Europe?

3 hours ago, Ossy said:

Abuse for a verbal challenge, yes; especially given the usual 16 18 20 stone or more of these 'hunks'. What I do, if there's an ugly, overhanging pod or hideous tattoos on 25% of his body, is to make an obvious glare, almost like a double-take, at the offending item/s . . . even turning and pointing, as if asking my wife, 'do you know that guy?' It's surprising how many of them look uneasy at this visual challenge and there's no way they're going to kick up about it . . . try it someday, espec. if the Mrs is on your arm.

Then will you divorce her when she admits knowing him and confesses all.:cheesy:

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

I lived with/in/among the Thai people in the SF & Los Angeles areas + was involved with planning, surveying, & negotiating the possible move of Thai town from the L.A. area to the nothern part of the East Bay.....

So - yes....

Obviously my post went completely over your head. I'd have posted a link to simplify my comment but I'm 100% sure it would be deleted and I'd be banned. Do you understand now? 

In jomtien at the condo complex I can walk in shorts when go to the pool, gym or a shop below. When leave the complex is always am dressed with trousers and either shirt or polo. Socks and shoes. When I am in the province around the house mostly only shorts and slippers. When go out shopping in the city is am dressed same as in Jomtien. 

My wife always telling me when in the province also must dress nice and complete. People not like to see foreigners with bare chest. Also can easy get sunburn, bitten by insects and get infected by touching plants trees etc.

My reply your local neighbours also walk shirtless?? Her reply yes but they are poor and locals?????? So sweet.

• Like 1