Yingluck asylum request could spark uproar

webfact

51 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

not from a convicted criminal  deposed elected PM who's wanted by the Thai government. Military unelected Junta.

Fixed it for you

I think he is beyond fixing....

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

What country is going to be scared of Thailand and anything it can say or do, Laos Maybe, but don,t count on that. Money and trade is the only consideration and with the import taxes they load on overseas good that will not count for much.

The UK gave Rose asylum so Yingluck should sail through as political persecution can be seen by even the blind.

Rose?

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

not from a convicted criminal who's wanted by the Thai government.

That should read, "...wanted by the Thai military government."

That short, four-syllable word is very important when it comes to who is making demands on others.

Edited by NanLaew

45 minutes ago, steven100 said:

no ... wrong ...    I don't like both former PM's who reaped billions of baht off the Thai people.

:cheesy:

I hate to raise 'facts' but what you say is pure Amaart 'spin' and they make BILLIONS and BILLIONS and, cleverly, divert your attention to attack Thailand's greatest premier (a degree of corruption just like everyone else) and vilify his elected sister with 'political' charges.

Let me ask you a question : where are these 'billions' you speak of?  and why no charges of corruption against Yingluck?

it's a BIG 'made-up burger' for political reasons and you are joyfully gulping it all down!

1 hour ago, Mainhattencitizen said:

Sorry Steven but you do not realise what the International Community thinks about the Thai Military Junta. She is safe for the rest of her life.

'what the International Community thinks about the Thai Military Junta'

This is just your opinion, nothing more.

What the international community is not one specific view or opinion.

All individual countries have their own opinion and it will be diferent country by country.

52 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

I hate to raise 'facts' but what you say is pure Amaart 'spin' and they make BILLIONS and BILLIONS and, cleverly, divert your attention to attack Thailand's greatest premier (a degree of corruption just like everyone else) and vilify his elected sister with 'political' charges.

Let me ask you a question : where are these 'billions' you speak of?  and why no charges of corruption against Yingluck?

it's a BIG 'made-up burger' for political reasons and you are joyfully gulping it all down!

'Thailand's greatest premier'

You're easily pleased - do you want to buy the Sydney harbour bridge - I can give you a great deal with free delivery

yawn.

Edited by scorecard

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

No country will want to have anything to do with her.

What pills do you take?

EVERY COUNTRY know that she was conficted about political reasons. 

About this she get in the most countries political asylum.

12 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

If not he then whom?  ask any Thai

He was deeply flawed but still dragged Thailand away from the feudal ages more than any other Premier

Score may have a lot to say about that. He likes the feudal ages and hate being dragged into the modern democratic world. He has much love for non elected junta government that took power with their guns. :clap2:

1 hour ago, LannaGuy said:

If not he then whom?  ask any Thai

He was deeply flawed but still dragged Thailand away from the feudal ages more than any other Premier

Rubbish, he divided Thailand for his own very selfish purposes.

4 hours ago, steven100 said:

No country will want to have anything to do with her.

I don't think any country cares at all about upsetting a small, isolated backwater Asian country that has no influence at all in the fields of finance, culture, trade or anything else.

8 minutes ago, silverhawk_usa said:

The fact of a non elected military junta Thai government no longer  seems to be an issue for the Trump administration.

I'm not sure if that says more about the Trump administration or the Junta!

5 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I don't think any country cares at all about upsetting a small, isolated backwater Asian country that has no influence at all in the fields of finance, culture, trade or anything else.

I can think of one that may need SEA allies in some S. China Sea disputes, and some other issues that I won't go in to, even over a VPN...

20 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Rubbish, he divided Thailand for his own very selfish purposes.

The country was already divided. There has been a them and us mentality for years. People from the north east were often looked on with disdain by those in Bangkok, although it is not as pervasive or out in the open as it once was. What Thaksin did was give the upcountry folk a voice, made them feel that they mattered, which is a good thing. Whether or not he did so for selfish or altruistic reasons is another matter. 

I guess a bigger question is how this whole cycle ends -- if/when elections are held, if they are fair, it is  highly likely the "red-shirts" will win again -- they are clearly beloved in Isaan and elsewhere in rural Thailand -- so another "red-shirt" PM will come into office and this whole cycle of retribution and counter-retribution will happen again and again. Let's face it the "red-shirts" have the sympathy and heart of the majority of the Thai people. A few people are happy with the current junta, sure, for creating some sense of peace and order, but the underlying problems still remain. Not sure how Thailand ever gets out of this pickle.

not from a convicted criminal who's wanted by the Thai government.

The rest of the civilised world doesnt give a shit about the Thai government or Thailand. You have obviously lived their too long and believe that Thailand is some major player in world economics and affairs. It is a backwater cess pool that only survives due to its geographic locstion and its a cheap and nasty place away from normality.

Edited by Reigntax

2 hours ago, snowgard said:

What pills do you take?

EVERY COUNTRY know that she was conficted about political reasons. 

About this she get in the most countries political asylum.

EVERY COUNTRY knows she is wanted & is a crim on the run ... lol

52 minutes ago, impulse said:

I can think of one that may need SEA allies in some S. China Sea disputes, and some other issues that I won't go in to, even over a VPN...

Thailand doesn't have a dog in the East Sea fight with China.

Other issues?

24 minutes ago, AGareth2 said:

is there any oil in Thailand?

Offshore yes and more natural gas but it is all declining.

Onshore yes... but most of it is still untapped and underneath 'army land.'

Edited by NanLaew

I don't think so.  Most governments will know she was involved / implemented a fraudulent rice scheme that cost Thailand billions of baht.

She's a convicted criminal ....  nothing more ... nothing less ...:coffee1:

No, she is guilty of knowing that fraud was taking place and not stopping it.  She was deposed for what she and parliament were going to vote on, pardoning her brother.   European governments know her flaws, but they have less time for those who topple elected governments.  Your observations are only shared by a few Thais and even fewer outside of Thailand. 

The British government is, by and large, a representation of popular British opinion. 

Thailands image, and especially the roles of the police and judiciary, (and consequently British opinion) , has been trashed over the last few years with the high profile cases of murder, rape and persecution of Brits, and others (once they started looking)

thailand gave a rats arse about foreign opinion for its action, so has little right to expect foreign opinion to support it

given this, a representative government would have to factor in that it's electorate has no faith in the thai justice system or its conclusions / rulings. Therefore I opine that an asylum application would be highly likely to succeed.

as a minimum, I'm sure see will have (be given) the opportunity to scurry back to Dubai, if her application fails

Just now, Throatwobbler said:

She is the legitimate government whether you like it or lot. 

Actually, leaving aside the definition of legitimate for the moment, Yingluck does not represent any government no matter who might currently be in charge.

It is amazing how many people actually forget what happened in their zeal to promote one side or the other. Yingluck was legally removed as caretaker prime minister in 2014 by the courts for abuse of power.

The coup that came after, again legally had nothing to do with Yingluck.  I'm not supporting the coup, but what I am saying is any European court would know very well that she was not ousted in a coup. They would need to pay attention to the details, and the details are that Yingluck held no official position when the coup occurred.

The coup could play into their decision as to how much politics played into prosecuting and sentencing her, but that is where it would stop.

Basically, the only way to claim Yingluck is the legitimate government is to claim the courts are illegitimate. And while many might agree with you there, myself included, it has absolutely nothing to do with the coup or the current government.

Let's not forget it was the same, in my opinion, illegitimate court that started this whole mess back in 2001 when they found her brother not guilty with a clearly political decision that made no legal sense. An honest ruling back then would likely have stopped this whole mess before it got started.

The Thai court system is a BIG problem, but let's not confuse Yingluck's predicament today with the coup. The 2 are legally unrelated except as stated above, and any asylum filing would need to be based on the legal facts of the case.

5 hours ago, connda said:

I'm just going to state the obvious here.

If any Western country such as the US or UK grants Thaksin asylum based on political persecution, than any Thai who fears retribution for speaking out against the current unelected military regime should be able to go to the same country and request asylum too for the same reasons.  So I'm thinking, open Pandora's Box and it will spur a outflow of emigrants 'fleeing from possible prosecution for speaking out in defiance of the regime.'  

The Uk are granting it to thousands every year on just those grounds. At least she'll be supporting herself and spending lots of lolly in the country.

14 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

No, she is guilty of knowing that fraud was taking place and not stopping it.  She was deposed for what she and parliament were going to vote on, pardoning her brother.   European governments know her flaws, but they have less time for those who topple elected governments.  Your observations are only shared by a few Thais and even fewer outside of Thailand. 

Many Thais are happy with the Military in charge, I believe they just want stability and be able to do their everyday chores without fighting.

Anyway,  there are some fantastic phots showing Khun Prayuth Chan O Cha talking to Trump.

Check them out on one of the topics.