Yingluck asylum request could spark uproar

webfact

People mention

unelected military Government

as if that has anything to do with it. It is whether the current administration is accepted by other countries and has a diplomatic relationship with them that matters. I think that the current Thai PMs official visit to the USA and meeting President Trump shows that country's acceptance of the current Thai government. The US even wants to sell Thailand some of its fossil fuel. Britain still has an ambassador in residence here so to me that shows acceptance. How many countries have declared the current Thai administration as illegitimate and cut off diplomatic relations. None that I can think off. Tourists from all over the world in increasing numbers, according to TAT, are visiting here with no apparent restrictions from the tourist's home country.

The fact that the current administration is unelected and military has IMO nothing to do with Yingluck's case for asylum.

Edited by Keesters

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, Keesters said:

People mention

unelected military Government

as if that has anything to do with it. It is whether the current administration is accepted by other countries and has a diplomatic relationship with them that matters. I think that the current Thai PMs official visit to the USA and meeting President Trump shows that country's acceptance of the current Thai government. The US even wants to sell Thailand some of its fossil fuel. Britain still has an ambassador in residence here so to me that shows acceptance. How many countries have declared the current Thai administration as illegitimate and cut off diplomatic relations. None that I can think off. Tourists from all over the world in increasing numbers, according to TAT, are visiting here with no apparent restrictions from the tourist's home country.

The fact that the current administration is unelected and military has IMO nothing to do with Yingluck's case for asylum.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Thai_coup_d'état#International_responses

17 minutes ago, steven100 said:

oh LannaGuy ......  as a shin lover it really makes me wonder about what you support... crims and the likes. Why bother staying in Thailand if you don't like it's leader and the way it's managed? plenty of other nice places you might enjoy ...Loas, Vietnam? Philippines? life's too short to hate where you are. I love Thailand and it's people, it's not perfect but it's run well and it has a stable government. 

Love Thailand, Love the people does not = Love the government

What a lot of nonsense……

Thaksin's conviction was for an offence that, had he done the same in the UK could also have led to prosecution (Corruption and irregularities in the Rachadapisek land deal, which, as state owned property, was prohibited for an official who was involved it the administration of the same. He and his family were clear beneficiaries of the deal)…… An application for asylum, if it was made (Thaksin denies it), would likely have been declined. As it was he was dismissed from his position as Honorary President of Manchester City Footbal Club after the conviction. As far as I am aware there was no effort made to extradite him.

Yingluck's conviction was for negligence in the administration of her government's policy. While the wisdom of the rice policy is questionable, it was not one that directly benefited her or her close family. In a democracy the she would be called to account in an election, but she would not be called to face legal charges in a country such as the UK, or most other countries of the world. Though there is talk of an Interpol red notice, and extradition, they would more likely strengthen he case for asylum, if the application is made.

Edited by Aj Mick
punctuation

On 10/4/2017 at 3:09 PM, Baerboxer said:

However, suggesting the Shins were anything much different, anything other than a self enriching Chinese style family clan, devoid of morals, ethics and willing to do anything to gain and keep power is as ludicrous as suggesting the Junta are also whiter than white.

one difference. they were elected

19 minutes ago, Aj Mick said:

What a lot of nonsense……

Thaksin's conviction was for an offence that, had he done the same in the UK could also have led to prosecution (Corruption and irregularities in the Rachadapisek land deal, which, as state owned property, was prohibited for an official who was involved it the administration of the same. He and his family were clear beneficiaries of the deal)…… An application for asylum, if it was made (Thaksin denies it), would likely have been declined. As it was he was dismissed from his position as Honorary President of Manchester City Footbal Club after the conviction. As far as I am aware there was no effort made to extradite him.

Yingluck's conviction was for negligence in the administration of her government's policy. While the wisdom of the rice policy is questionable, it was not one that directly benefited her or her close family. In a democracy the she would be called to account in an election, but she would not be called to face legal charges in a country such as the UK, or most other countries of the world. Though there is talk of an Interpol red notice, and extradition, they would more likely strengthen he case for asylum, if the application is made.

Your account of the Rachadapisek land deal conviction is absolutely not true. Thaksin has not been convicted of corruption and irregularities in the deal (it was a blind  bidding process). He has been convicted of conflict of interest.

Moreover, there was an official text stating that it was not under the PM authority: "Section 29 of the Bank of Thailand Act of 1942 stated that the Prime Minister did not have jurisdiction to oversee the FIDF, because those managing the fund had sole authority for policies, control, oversight and regulations governing the agency."

Despite this official text, the court estimated that he was de facto supervising the fund. So it was only a question of interpretation....

5 hours ago, candide said:

Your account of the Rachadapisek land deal conviction is absolutely not true. Thaksin has not been convicted of corruption and irregularities in the deal (it was a blind  bidding process). He has been convicted of conflict of interest.

Seems corrupt and irregular to me...... and one of many cases where Thaksin flirted with the letter of the law. There are several outstanding, for which he will not be tried in absentia....... Yet apparently there has been no effort to bring him to justice. 

Why the futile obsession with getting Yingluck back? 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thaksin_Shinawatra#Convictions_and_exile

Edited by Aj Mick

5 hours ago, Aj Mick said:

In a democracy the she would be called to account in an election, but she would not be called to face legal charges in a country such as the UK, or most other countries of the world.

That's for a parliamentary system in which she could be up for a no-confidence vote. In the US I don't even think she'd be up for impeachment proceedings.

7 hours ago, Aj Mick said:

.....In a democracy she would be called to account in an election, but she would not be called to face legal charges in a country such as the UK, or most other countries of the world....

1 hour ago, Ruffian Dick said:

That's for a parliamentary system in which she could be up for a no-confidence vote. In the US I don't even think she'd be up for impeachment proceedings.

That is exactly what she did, she called an election, and in standing for re-election,  offered the voters the chance to judge.

Funnily enough the coup was staged to intervene in that electoral process. I can't for the life of me imagine why?

Coincidentally very much the same thing happened with her brother some 5 years previously - standing for re-election, quite likely to win, oops a military coup intervenes!

Those usually so vociferous in there condemnation of all things Shinawatra are strangely silent when it comes to turning their honed forensic debating skills to this matter. Again, I can't imagine why...

Edited by JAG

9 hours ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

And of course the self-appointed Thai Government is SO respected around the world.  In any case, no country would want to upset Thailand now that it has its sub. :sleep:

"now that it has its sub"

The new submarine won't be delivered for some years, only a first down-payment has yet been agreed. :wink:

And I doubt that it would influence any future request for asylum, if ever the escaped former-PM makes one, to the UK or anywhere else.  :whistling:

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

seems the apple doesn't fall far from the tree .....  :cheesy:

image.png.06daa46ca1391da482790270b5b3f7d5.png

What a fool Taksin is. He should have granted himself immunity from prosecution when taking power eh?  Then he could have done whatever he wanted free from the shackles of justice which us mere mortals are bound to.  Then he would have lived his life as a free man and that infographic would have never existed.

Old Prayut and co well they can do what ever they wish as they were not so daft. They have immunity from any and all actions. The justice system will never touch them. 

Which raises the question of they are so good...why would they need immuity from prosecution in the first place? Unless they knew what they were /are/ will doing might be in some way illegal. 

As Steve pointed out quite correctly..the apple indeed doesnt fall far from the tree.  Good point Steve thanks for making it.

Edited by jonclark

On 10/4/2017 at 10:38 AM, scorecard said:

'what the International Community thinks about the Thai Military Junta'

This is just your opinion, nothing more.

What the international community is not one specific view or opinion.

All individual countries have their own opinion and it will be diferent country by country.

Absolutely wrong

4 hours ago, steven100 said:

oh .... silly me  .. so none of this is correct according to you ...:cheesy: it's all just made up ......  

image.png.06daa46ca1391da482790270b5b3f7d5.png

The information is correct but will the judiciary system and the application of law be fair and can you positively said that the courts are out of the scope of influence. Rather opaque in junta government.