Pattaya OKs 19 million baht for sewage pump repairs

Rimmer

Pattaya OKs 19 million baht for sewage pump repairs

image.png

PATTAYA:--The Pattaya City Council has allocated 19 million baht to repair pumps sending wastewater to the city’s troubled sewage-treatment plant.

On the repair list are eight garbage collectors at the Pattaya Beach waste-pumping station, two similar machines at the South Pattaya Canal, three at the Naklua Canal and a main pump at the Soi Nong Yai treatment plant.

The plant, poorly maintained over the past decade, also will get repairs to a high-speed pump, overpasses and clarification filters.

The failure of all that equipment was thought to be responsible for July’s sewage spill onto Pattaya Beach, authorities said.

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2017-10-06

Should be able to afford this, along with completing the Beach restoration and cleaning up the rubbish on Koh Lahn out of the increasing revenues for the increasing levels of tourism stated for Pattaya.

13.7 million tourists visited the city in 2016, spending THB200 billion for rooms, food, and fun.

This year, tourists have already spent THB110 billion in the city, which is 15 percent more than what they spent in the first six months of last year.

2 hours ago, mikebell said:

When the trucks are pumped full where do they go to empty them?

That is not a tanker truck 'honey wagon' in the photo, but a pump truck.

Although I have never had the pleasure of seeing it myself, normal design would be such that the Beach Road Beer Garden pumping lift station acts like a giant sump pump. It collects the sewage in an underground tank just beside it around the sidewalk, which has its large overflow outlet pipes you see spewing the excess sewage it can't handle directly onto the beach during a storm. The stationary pumps inside the pump house normally pump the sewage through a dedicated underground line up to the treatment plant. The pumps inside it are either undersized/underpowered/unreliable/unmaintained.

At any rate, they are not effective during a storm due to the influx of excess storm runoff infiltrating the sanitary sewer lines which all run into the tiny beach road storage tank.

The pump truck you see is simply just a pump mounted on a truck, that hooks up to the system bypassing or even assisting the station pumps, and pumps the sewage to the treatment plant, no tank.

Compared to stationary pumps, this pump truck is far more costly to run, but I suspect the funds to have them continually come set up, and operate as a band aid solution would not come out of the capital budget. That is why you see them there so often.

There are no doubt many more technical issues, but having an effective pumping station here should be a top priority to keep as much raw sewage off the beach as possible.

The most important step is a collective effort to reduce the amount of stormwater running into the sanitary sewer lines during storms, which cause the system to exceed its tiny capacity in the first place. This is difficult here, as it would involve some costly measures for some property owners. For example, eliminating stormwater migration through the loose covers of the septic tanks between the buildings and the main sanitary system would involve digging up and removing the old concrete cylindrical tanks and flat disc lids, and replacing them with new proper covered septic tanks. This could only be achieved with strong building codes, inspection, and enforcement. All of which is a rare unknown and ignored concept here.

What sewage treatment plant ? There is nothing in Pattaya that could be remotely be called a plant big enough to treat the sewage from a city the size of Pattaya, and that is when the plant is working ! I know whereof I speak, having previously been a design engineer for Binnie and Partners (now Thames Water) and Camp, Dresser, and McKee, the world,s largest sewage plant design company.

7 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

What sewage treatment plant ? There is nothing in Pattaya that could be remotely be called a plant big enough to treat the sewage from a city the size of Pattaya, and that is when the plant is working ! I know whereof I speak, having previously been a design engineer for Binnie and Partners (now Thames Water) and Camp, Dresser, and McKee, the world,s largest sewage plant design company.

A sewage treatment plant isn't sexy and doesn't look good on a postcard or travel poster, so the city spends way too much of its limited budget 'fixing' things that either aren't broken or are very low priority--like the current Dongtan Beach project.

13 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

As per another article:

Pattaya’s main wastewater-treatment plant is on Soi Nongyai, which can process up to 80,000 cu. meters daily. 

A second plant serving the Jomtien Beach area is located on Soi Wat Boonkan­chanaram and receives about 20,000 cu. meters of water a day, but has the capacity to handle 63,000 cu. meters daily.

Images from Google:

Screen Shot 2017-10-08 at 2.44.01 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-10-08 at 2.43.01 PM.jpg

1 hour ago, Gold Star said:

As per another article:

Pattaya’s main wastewater-treatment plant is on Soi Nongyai, which can process up to 80,000 cu. meters daily. 

A second plant serving the Jomtien Beach area is located on Soi Wat Boonkan­chanaram and receives about 20,000 cu. meters of water a day, but has the capacity to handle 63,000 cu. meters daily.

Images from Google:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=3bccf9db2954ff32

imageproxy.php?img=&key=3bccf9db2954ff32imageproxy.php?img=&key=3bccf9db2954ff32imageproxy.php?img=&key=3bccf9db2954ff32

Screen Shot 2017-10-08 at 2.44.01 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-10-08 at 2.43.01 PM.jpg

He didn't say there wasn't a plant already. He said what is there isn't big enough. I'm not a sewerage engineer, but they don't look anywhere big enough for a city the size of Pattaya.

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

He didn't say there wasn't a plant already. He said what is there isn't big enough. I'm not a sewerage engineer, but they don't look anywhere big enough for a city the size of Pattaya.

I was responding to his question 'What sewage treatment plant ?'  I found two, and pointed out their operating and design capacity. Form other articles, I know the first one 17 years old is already in disrepair, and not functioning to capacity. The new one in Jomtien, only a couple years old seems to be functioning OK.

I would like to learn more about the sewage problems we face and would welcome anyone with technical expertise to share any relevant information or insight.

I found a link to a study paper published in 2002 which those of a technical background might find an interesting read regarding the effectiveness of the present system design here before and after the first treatment plant was built, along with the improvements to beach water quality.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/268596181_Modeling_the_Interaction_between_Drainage_System_Wastewater_Treatment_Plant_and_Receiver_Water_in_Pattaya_Beach

If the link does not work, try Google search: 'Modeling the Interaction between Drainage System, Wastewater Treatment Plant and Receiver Water in Pattaya Beach'

On 08/10/2017 at 1:03 AM, phantomfiddler said:

I used to work for a company that manufactured 'soil' pipes for houses and blocks of flats. Our company motto was 'Your sh#t is our bread and butter'!

Edited by joebrown
correct grammar.