bank will not let me transfer my money home to UK

3 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I would exchange the money at superrich to a strong currency, take the money with you on your flight, with your paperwork of the sale.

If he had the required paperwork, he could have sent the money from his bank in the first place.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the question is …why do you not have a copy of the chanote? Even if its a private sale, an entry of the new ownership would have to be made on the Thai land registry for the sale of the condo because you own small percentage of the land. Otherwise the new owner doesn’t own it - did you forget to ask for a copy?

Edited by bizboi

Open a few Thai bank accounts with B 200 000 per day withdrawing limits. Go back to the UK and withdraw the money at an ATM. It will cost you but you dont run the risk of Bitcoins volatility or the danger of cash. How you get the money back into the UK banking system without raising red flags may be something to consider. I am giving you this advice assuming that you brought the money in legally and is not trying to launder money. 

If you really can't do an electronic transfer, then withdraw the baht. Make copies of the withdrawal slip and bank book. Go to Super Rich or Vasu. Exchange to pounds.

Hand carry out of Thailand. Declare at Thai customs and at UK customs. Use your copies of bank book/withdrawal slip if needed.

In the UK deposit the cash into your bank, providing the same photocopies and explain the restrictions on currency transfers.

It really is that easy.

There is no need to use ATMs, buy and sell gold, cryptocurrencies, dollars, euros or second hand vehicles.

10 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

If he had the required paperwork, he could have sent the money from his bank in the first place.

He stated :

i sold condo unit 8 months ago.    it was a private sale between me and an australian guy who tranferred the money to my bank ( the sale did not go through matrix developments )

i have ( copy )  of a reciept from the buyer , i also have a contract sales agreement ( original ).

i went to kasikorn bank 2nd floor pattaya klang yesterday to make a swift transfer.   they told me that i need show chanote , land title deed.  they did not let me make the transfer.

I know things work differently here with property transactions, suffice to say, the reason I said change the money over at Superrich and take it back with him, and the paperwork, i.e. copy of receipt from buyer and contract of sale, is that it would show that he had sold his condo in Pattaya and the reason he didn't do a SWIFT transfer is that he didn't trust the banks in Thailand.

If immigration wanted more evidence then he would have to provide it. But as we have read he needed a copy of the title deeds or Chanote:

i went to kasikorn bank 2nd floor pattaya klang yesterday to make a swift transfer.   they told me that i need show chanote , land title deed.  they did not let me make the transfer.

Edited by 4MyEgo

5 hours ago, serpent32 said:

Can't you just close the account and just get a check or something and then just deposit the funds into your UK account?

I have read in a PM to me that a foreign resident of Australia just sold his mums place and as they have both been absent from the country for over a decade, the conveyancer has advised the only way they can take the money out of the country is by cheque couriered to them in their country.

The bank in his country will charge 2% of the value of the cheque, now if this guy has a cheque of 2.8 mil that would work out at around 1,200 ponds, so a bank cheque would be expensive

9 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

There are anti money laundering rules, i think cash deposits over something like 6,000 euros are flagged up, this is across many countries

His transaction will be flagged whatever he does. This does not stop him depositing the money; it alerts the UK National Crime Agency to what has happened.

It's up to the NCA if they ask him to prove where the cash came from.

His transaction will be flagged whatever he does. This does not stop him depositing the money; it alerts the UK National Crime Agency to what has happened.

But there is a set amount where a transaction flags up, so under it and it won't

One option you did not include was to find someone living in Thailand, who has cash in the UK and would like to transfer it over at a good rate.

Yes you will be asked questions in the UK if you buy a house without a mortgage, but more likely by the seller's lawyers than the bank. I have recently been involved in similar. You are apparently not allowed to have your own money in the UK!:passifier:

23 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
30 minutes ago, blackcab said:

But there is a set amount where a transaction flags up, so under it and it won't

The limit is anything over 10,000 euros (about 9,000 pounds) or a series of transactions which looks like a larger amount has been split into smaller amounts to evade detection.

In my opinion trying to split the money to evade detection is a terrible idea that runs the risk of confiscation of the whole sum. The NCA will quite rightly say that if you had nothing to hide you would have banked the money in a straightforward way - especially after declaring it at customs on the way into the UK - because that customs declaration is sent to the same department the bank will send their Suspicious Activity Report to.

the rules say that you are allowed to take foreign currency out of Thailand up to the equivalent of 20,000 US dollars.

For more than that, you have to declare it at customs checkpoint when leaving Thailand.

Does anyone know what happens regarding this?

What do they do at customs when you declare it?

Example, taking the equivalent of 30,000 US dollars (in my case, this would be in euros).

I will be able to show my BKK bank savings book showing the withdrawal.

I know i could send by Swift, but I want to take the cash.

If anyone has had any experience of this, or has factual information, I would love to hear from you.

thanks

Edited by nickmondo
typing error

1 hour ago, nickmondo said:

What do they do at customs when you declare it?

Not much. The hardest thing is to find someone in the first place before you go through security. I asked at the VAT refund desk and they got someone to help me.

A better option might be to give customs a call on 1164 to find out where the correct place to go is.

Or buy ethereum,  just as easy to buy as bitcoin,  a bit less volatile at the moment , and save a bundle in fees, and you'll receive it in seconds, not an hour.

Less volatile? You mean in the last 24h you may be right but it has been a roller coaster for the last month or so. I lost 50% in no time, I don't think this is a risk the poster wants to take..

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 08/10/2017 at 11:12 AM, Minnehaha said:

Sold a condo but

Cannot show purchase and sale or ownership of the asset from 3rd party like Land Office issued Chanote

Cannot show how you got the money to buy condo mentioned above

Then you have to be simple minded to think any govt or bank will let you launder the cash. 

Best move is Bit coin as mentioned above.  

read the post correctly !!

i have a resale contract ...the buyer an ozzie guy will get chanote from matrix or land title office when they are ready to issue it.   i did not use matrix to sell this place for me, i sold it myself .

1 hour ago, pumpjack said:

read the post correctly !!

i have a resale contract ...the buyer an ozzie guy will get chanote from matrix or land title office when they are ready to issue it.   i did not use matrix to sell this place for me, i sold it myself .

matrix?

do you mean the movie? sorry, but I never saw it. very good, I hear.

"When the land office is ready to issue it" ? 

If you sold it, presumably you did so at the land office and the existing chanote (title) was produced and the land office received it, recorded the sale, taxes were paid, transfer fees were paid, stamp duty / or special biz tax was paid - all to the ministry of finance, and then a new chanote was issued to the person who bought it and now owns it. the seller has receipt of sale and receipt of taxes paid. 

the land office does this while you wait, not when they get around to is. 

are you for real?  

2 minutes ago, Minnehaha said:

matrix?

do you mean the movie? sorry, but I never saw it. very good, I hear.

"When the land office is ready to issue it" ? 

If you sold it, presumably you did so at the land office and the existing chanote (title) was produced and the land office received it, recorded the sale, taxes were paid, transfer fees were paid, stamp duty / or special biz tax was paid - all to the ministry of finance, and then a new chanote was issued to the person who bought it and now owns it. the seller has receipt of sale and receipt of taxes paid. 

the land office does this while you wait, not when they get around to is. 

are you for real?  

You are definitely not getting it. He resold the contract. The condo is possibly not even completed yet.

Matrix is a property development company that builds around the Pattaya area.

It may sound strange, but you deposit the pounds sterling into your UK bank account.

The UK does not allow you to walk into a bank with large amounts of cash without good reason and substantial paperwork to back it up.

Money laundering laws and rhey are getting harder each month

Sent from my SM-A500F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

33 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

The UK does not allow you to walk into a bank with large amounts of cash without good reason and substantial paperwork to back it up.

Money laundering laws and rhey are getting harder each month

Sent from my SM-A500F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Actually they do. They tend to take the cash, complete a Suspicious Activity Report and then let the NCA temporarily freeze the account if that is what the NCA chooses to do.

It turns out the government rather likes seizing dirty money. They can't do that if they keep turning it away, now, can they.