90 day report obsolete after re-entry

So i extended my non-o spouse visa for 1 year on the 11th of july in Chiang Mai. The same day i made the 90 day report therefore next 90 day was due on 11. october

Left Thailand by 29th August and got back in on 13th september with a re-entry permit. 

Last week i went to Promenada, Chiang Mai to do the 90 day report. Had all papers done, copies and when it was my turn the immigration officer told me that i should not have come because i recently entered Thailand.

She changed manually the due date on the last 90 day paper slip, writing due on 13th december - 90 days after i came back to Thailand...

Just wanted to share because i wasn't aware of that and for sure nobody told me at the immigration when they gave me the re-entry stamp..

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

And how does one learn? By doing what he has done and learning by his mistakes. So really immigration did educate him.  Remember not all (in fact case in point OP) do not use this forum so therefore have to learn the hard way which is no bad thing.

Thank you for following me around..... How he can learn?? By asking the questions here at Thai-VISA i.e. BEFORE he goes to immuigration, and be prepared..... it is not  a bad thing to be prepared.

Glegolo

6 minutes ago, glegolo said:

Thank you for following me around..... How he can learn?? By asking the questions here at Thai-VISA i.e. BEFORE he goes to immuigration, and be prepared..... it is not  a bad thing to be prepared.

Glegolo

As i said not all use this and trust me im not following you just reading threads as this forum is intended for.

For several years here i learnt by going to immigration and asking. I asked friends but very much like this forum everyone has there own take on things. Immigration offices i have used have all been great sources of information.

Which shows the value of Thai visa without which people are destined to suffer a lot of frustration.

If a subscriber to Thai visa discovers something, it is reasonable to assume that there may be others yet to make the discovery, and post the information here. "Just want to share" was Chris747's attempt to avoid censure I feel, so give the chap a break.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

And how does one learn? By doing what he has done and learning by his mistakes. So really immigration did educate him.  Remember not all (in fact case in point OP) do not use this forum so therefore have to learn the hard way which is no bad thing.

Assuming you know that 90--day reports are needed at all, and have reasonable reading comprehension, the report of being longer than 90 days in the country should be self explanatory. I am sympathetic, though, to those for whom English is not their first language.

Jeab1980, you say that not all use Thai-VISA.. no maybe so,, but the guy did come here when he was in trouble, and than suddenly Thai-VISA was a good thing. If he knows about TV afterwards, than for sure he knows before....

For me, I actually educate myself here on TV, reaeding your posts and many others and I am prepared 99% av all times before I go to immigration.... I do trust UbonJoe 100% more than any of these officers that can not even distinguish VISA from an extension of stay in english.....

Glegolo

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Chris747 said:

it's a piece of information i wanted to share - and if just one reader here remembers, the next time he's in a similar situation - purpose is served :) 

You did everything right, thanks for sharing information like this. Probably there are many more who are not aware of this until they experience this at the immigration by them self, even if the people who replied here gave negative feedback to you ;) 

Yes accepted... but a person who makes a living from getting visas told a meeting I attended that, even though officially not required, if you are in the country when a previous 90 day report due date occurs, report anyway!  His attitude being that there was a slip of paper in your passport telling you to report, and if you were capable of doing it, the IO may feel you should have done it. To be sent away hearing it was not necessary, is not the worst thing that can happen.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, glegolo said:

Glegolo

I agree to a point, how does he ask a question that he didn't even know was a problem?  Let's me reasonable.

9 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

I agree to a point, how does he ask a question that he didn't even know was a problem?  Let's me reasonable.

This is life, and there is of course different people on this earth. Some people just dont "get it" and some people sits down, think and than plan a "what to do".... They find out how it works really..

And just this particular "problem" was really a child play, so easy, but when lazy and dont care to find out, you ends up in a "problem".. We all do.....

This is how I sees it, and act upon it..... Stand up, engage, and do the work, and you will be just be fine...

Glegolo

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Yes accepted... but a person who makes a living from getting visas told a meeting I attended that, even though officially not required, if you are in the country when a previous 90 day report due date occurs, report anyway!  His attitude being that there was a slip of paper in your passport telling you to report, and if you were capable of doing it, the IO may feel you should have done it. To be sent away hearing it was not necessary, is not the worst thing that can happen.

I suspect that I was at the same meeting, however, until that meeting I also assumed the clock stopped when one left the country and a new 90 day period started on re-entering Thailand. Perhaps this is once again a matter of different interpretations by regional IO's.

The problem with learning by your mistakes is that it can be very costly. As we see regularly on this site: some people get themselves into really quite awful situations from which it is very hard to extricate themselves, and at great cost of all kinds.

Just now, mfd101 said:

The problem with learning by your mistakes is that it can be very costly. As we see regularly on this site: some people get themselves into really quite awful situations from which it is very hard to extricate themselves, and at great cost of all kinds.

Easy to rectify.  Just ask your Immigration Officer what you want to learn. :smile:

29 minutes ago, GordonP said:
2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I suspect that I was at the same meeting, however, until that meeting I also assumed the clock stopped when one left the country and a new 90 day period started on re-entering Thailand. Perhaps this is once again a matter of different interpretations by regional IO's.

Here's one I learned the hard way- Getting a new extension of stay doesn't reset the 90 day clock, or count as reporting.  I got fined 2000 baht and a passport stamp 2 weeks into a brand new extension based on a WP.   

Foolishly, I assumed that going to the same office and getting a new extension would count as reporting to them.  They disagreed.  Leaving the country or doing a specific 90 day report resets the clock.

I also learned later that, though several IO's and gate attendants referred to the stamp in my passport as an "overstay stamp", it's not really an overstay stamp.  It's a stamp for being late for a 90 day report.  Though I have no clue what the difference is (and apparently, I'm in good company if the IO's and ticket agents are any indication)

So I cut people some slack when they make their own boo-boo.  Even professionals don't always get the semantics right, confusing mere mortals.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, glegolo said:

And just this particular "problem" was really a child play, so easy, but when lazy and dont care to find out, you ends up in a "problem".. We all do.....

--> why do you assume it is a "problem"? And yes i agree it would probably have been a "child play" to find out but why should i..

I live 5 minutes from Immigration, went having nice lunch, waited 2 minutes in the queue and again like 10 minutes to get "turned down" all in all 30 minutes wasted. Guess i fall in a third category then which you were probably not aware off..

Trust me, for more important visa issues i am doing the necessary research quite detailed and then i am glad that the majority of the TV members share valuable informations..

I have done this many times . Go out and the 90 days starts again  The first time i did this was about 8 years ago The girl told me the same thing

Live and learn I guess

Just wish they would do away with 90 day reporting I have lived at the same address for 6 years You should be required to report when there is a change of address or 1 once per year

Way back when in the United States they used to require you to report the first of the year every year if you had green cards or where visiting on an extended visa The dropped it because it was a true waste of time

Heres me thinking this was  to be  another thread  about the op not reporting to Immigration at CM within 24 hours of returning  to Thailand.

Readers are acting as if what happened to him is THE  norm when the norm for me ( on  Retirement OA ) is to have the IO at the airport here in Phuket make a new report paper and stamp it with a date 90 days in advance of that day. And the new reality at Patong Immigration ( not Phuket Town ) is to report to them within 24 hours of arrival  "proving" where you reside.

I must be missing something here ?

I must say its not as clear cut as some people seem to suggest and it seems variable depending on which area you live, I also think some of the IO people don't know what they are doing either. I have been here for more than 3 years on Retirement OA.  I always stay at the same address.   Hua Hin IO told me I had to report after leaving the country and returning, in fact they fined me once for late submission (more than 7 days).  Then just this year a new guy told me you don't need to report when you return from overseas until 90 days from arrival date. 

He also told me you don't need to complete the TM47 anymore its obsolete now, just bring your passport.  Anyone else been told this?

19 minutes ago, Ducatiski said:

I must say its not as clear cut as some people seem to suggest and it seems variable depending on which area you live, I also think some of the IO people don't know what they are doing either. I have been here for more than 3 years on Retirement OA.  I always stay at the same address.   Hua Hin IO told me I had to report after leaving the country and returning, in fact they fined me once for late submission (more than 7 days).  Then just this year a new guy told me you don't need to report when you return from overseas until 90 days from arrival date. 

He also told me you don't need to complete the TM47 anymore its obsolete now, just bring your passport.  Anyone else been told this?

You are NOT here on retirement O-A VISA,,, you are here on an extension of stay based on retirement right???

As you say, variation exist inbetween the different officies and officers so it can be a little tricky sometimes.....

As said before in this thread,,, clock resets when you are out of the cpuntry and when you enter Thailand. You shall report your 90 day report in 90 days from arrivel...

This stuff you are talking about 24 hours and so forth, is just a mix up from your side, not understanding the process in it self..... I guess you are slipping suddenly from 90 days report into proving where you reside via a TM28????

Glegolo

Edited by glegolo

11 minutes ago, Ducatiski said:

I agree with your comments and disagree with those who chastise others for not knowing the rules.  I have also been in Hua Hin on retirement OA for 3+ years and was also told in June after returning from overseas and immediately reporting to IO that my visit was unnecessary.  However, I had previously been told by the same office that I should report within 24 hours of returning to Hua Hin.  I can't specifically answer your question about the TM47 but personally have not been asked for one in over 2 years.

In general, my opinion about IO is I'd rather be "safe than sorry".  So I will continue to visit the local office whenever I believe it MAY be necessary, regardless of what some individual may have told me on a previous visit.

Interesting reading re the 90 days report.

I live Chiang Mai and have done for 4 years now. Promenade is the reporting place. I did the 90 days’ report 2 days ago and thought to renew my retirement visa for another 12 months at the same time; seeing it is due 7th November to be renewed... kill 2 birds one visit. 

point of interest: this is 2 days ago I attempted to do the report online via the 90 days’  extra link Thai immigration CM. I got a reference number and the PENDING notice. I checked the status every day and It stayed in pending for 5 days at which point I called help desk immigration in CM. They told me the site had crashed and that I need to take in the reference number to the promenade. Upon arrival I showed all necessary paperwork + copy of the printout of the 90 days that I did online to the registration desk, they could find no record on their computer of such reference number. having checked my 90 days report documents I had to completed they gave me the number for the desk No.1 for 90 days’ reporting I did that and got the new receipt stapled into my passport before 12 noon.  I went back to the register desk out front again and asked do I still have time to get the 12 months’ renewed retirement visa done. Showed her all the paper work, same as I had done for all the previous years; I was asked for the passport which is normal and then the surprise”

“Where is the TM30 “they asked. What TM30? Never had this asked of me in 4 years. She said you need to go upstairs to 2nd Floor and showed them the passport and get TM30 in your passport. Got to the TM30 Division I was then told my wife needs to fill out this form. TM30 and show all copies of her ID, BLUE BOOK passport if she has one etc.  who owns the house she said of course the wife does I have the yellow book No the officer said your wife needs to fill in the TM30 in English yellow book not accepted. Hmmm! Took the TM30 form home and got it all filled. With the wife next day, WE went back the office in Promenade.  Thong had to sign all paperwork[CS1]  and I had to show all copies of various pages from my passport  when they were satisfied they issued a notification slip document stapled into my passport expressing I had complied TM30.  Info. This division checked my passport number on line and saw each time I used my passport to buy Air Asia tickets from CM to UTP Pattaya and told me that I had left the province each time and that upon my return Thong my wife should have reported to my return. They imposed a 1600 baht fine. She then said ‘if you stay in a place more than 2 nights outside your province” your wife need to report when you get back to your proper address. She said, You/I can go to the division on 2nd floor and show the copy of the letter they gave Thong and my passport and all will be ok, no fines. All is good now.

I Took the passport down to register desk they checked the TM30 slip was in the passport and the 90 days’ report slip and was then given the ticket number for the renewal of the retirement visa…. For all you that know about the TM30 all well and good. for those who know nothing about this TM30 and the wife/partner having to report be informed and or go check it out or you just may find yourself like I was when attempting to renew your visas. Things they are a changing….

[CS1]