Abhisit, academics criticise 'risky' new election delay

webfact

38 minutes ago, Bundooman said:

I actually came here in  October, 2005. You, my nit-picking sneering little pratt, are using your bigoted little views to distort what was going on in this country. You are spouting nonsense. you deserve the mind set you have. you have conveniently avoided all those 7ft posters, nationwide, of Yingluck upholding a Samsung Galaxy notebook, accompanied by the slogan -"Every student in Thailand will receive one of these"

What they actually got, - Just the 1 million  M1-3 students - who were lucky, was a cheap Chinese game pad - all of which were never heard of again after 6 months.

Get your facts straight Brucie boy. Thaksin showed no sign of leaving either. Take your rose coloured glasses off and grow up. You sound like a young Thai male with a fragile ego. <deleted>!

calm down. Don't try to re-write history. Thaksin's power base was solely due to his electoral success. If people would stop voting for him, he would have no power left.

What heybruce is alluding too, cannot possibly be denied. Facts are that they took power illegally, replaced the constitution with one of their own, and have ensured any election that would eventually be held is of no consequence whatsoever. As behind the scenes, they will firmly remain in power. Now go and learn some manners, it IS perfectly possible to comment on posts here without resorting to insults and name calling. Grow up.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, robblok said:

No this is what Thaksins amnesty caused.. don't forget that is what brought the people out and made it easy for the army.. Blame those who are to blame the Shins for their selfishness. 

The article was nothing to do with Thaksin , didn't touch on him or his family.......but but but you just couldn't resist could you , seek help Rob.

8 hours ago, robblok said:

Sure try to rewrite history.. its what your side is good at. They came out against the amnesty against the corruption. The Shins with their amnesty made it easy for the junta. The amnesty brought the people out on the streets. You can try to rewrite history because it cast a shadow over your side. The fact remains without the people on the streets the coup either would not have happened or the junta its grip would not have been so solid. The Shins brought this on the country. 

Oh so precious , childishly nieve.

7 minutes ago, joecoolfrog said:

The article was nothing to do with Thaksin , didn't touch on him or his family.......but but but you just couldn't resist could you , seek help Rob.

And.. the "Thaksin amnesty" never actually made it as an active law. There is one amnesty that did make it through, the one introduced by the NCPO, benefitting everyone involved in this illegal administration. Yet neither rob or the protestors being so principled then, complain now. 

Hypocrites. 

5 hours ago, Bundooman said:

"The poor are seduced instead of oppressed" - means the same thing.

Thaksin, under his "Democratic" government, was already stifling the press, preparing to insert himself as the ongoing PM in continuation of his expired term, was already looking at achieving a "higher" status for himself and family once certain devastating 'events' happened. Thailand was rapidly becoming a dictatorship under Thaksin back in 2007/8. I was here then and saw it for myself! So were many of you too.

The same thing was happening under Yingluck. The justice system was methodically being broken down. Checks and controls, scrutiny of plans, expenditure, accountability and transparency were being ignored and dismissed. So-called politicians were setting themselves up as a dictatorship. Yingluck and her cronies, operating under the blanket power of her elder brother were already planning his "innocence" and triumphant return to "Save Thailand". The country was in uproar and divided into what was fast approaching a "North and South" scenario, with some form of demarcation between Bangkok and the newly designated 'Red' capital of Chiang Mai.

Those of you who were here, like me, remember it well. "Burn Bangkok". "Kill them all" were threats of the day, reported by the various national newspapers. Thailand was going down the drain and you/we all knew it. Who do you think unleashed the military?

The present situation may not be palatable for some, but there is at least, some semblance of order in this country. Like it or not. Choice between Thaksin and Prayut? Prayut for me every time!

If you don't like it - deal with it or move on!

Well if was so bad , why did you not follow your own advice , deal with it or move on !

And what of the Thai people who have been de franchised , if they dont like it how should they deal with it , where should they move to ?

Thaksin, under his "Democratic" government, was already stifling the press, preparing to insert himself as the ongoing PM in continuation of his expired term, was already looking at achieving a "higher" status for himself and family once certain devastating 'events' happened. Thailand was rapidly becoming a dictatorship under Thaksin back in 2007/8. I was here then and saw it for myself! So were many of you too.

The same thing was happening under Yingluck. The justice system was methodically being broken down. Checks and controls, scrutiny of plans, expenditure, accountability and transparency were being ignored and dismissed. So-called politicians were setting themselves up as a dictatorship. Yingluck and her cronies, operating under the blanket power of her elder brother were already planning his "innocence" and triumphant return to "Save Thailand". The country was in uproar and divided into what was fast approaching a "North and South" scenario, with some form of demarcation between Bangkok and the newly designated 'Red' capital of Chiang Mai.

Those of you who were here, like me, remember it well. "Burn Bangkok". "Kill them all" were threats of the day, reported by the various national newspapers. Thailand was going down the drain and you/we all knew it. Who do you think unleashed the military?

The present situation may not be palatable for some, but there is at least, some semblance of order in this country. Like it or not. Choice between Thaksin and Prayut? Prayut for me every time!

Oh great, another junta fanboy who laps up the propaganda that Thaksin was anti-Christ.....:coffee1:.

Move on - why? Did you move when one of the Shin governments were in power? Certainly sounds like it was hell on earth for you so why are you still here?

You don't really have a choice now do you ?

Neither does any member of the Thai electorate. Prayuth is forced on them wether they like it or not.

Personally I believe people like you most definitely don't belong here.

You seem to think democracy and rule of law is not important, and that such rules can be broken by the likes of the NCPO, just because you either don't like the alternative, or worse, just because you actually believe, they are here to "better" Thai society. 

You apparently did not respect the will of the Thai people, who have consistently choosen to be run by Thaksin or the party under his direct influence. personally I believe it is you who should deal with it, and move away from this country, as you apparently have problems respecting the wishes of a large portion of this county's electorate. As said the worst kind of guests any country could have. 

1 hour ago, Bundooman said:

I actually came here in  October, 2005. You, my nit-picking sneering little pratt, are using your bigoted little views to distort what was going on in this country. You are spouting nonsense. you deserve the mind set you have. you have conveniently avoided all those 7ft posters, nationwide, of Yingluck upholding a Samsung Galaxy notebook, accompanied by the slogan -"Every student in Thailand will receive one of these"

What they actually got, - Just the 1 million  M1-3 students - who were lucky, was a cheap Chinese game pad - all of which were never heard of again after 6 months.

Get your facts straight Brucie boy. Thaksin showed no sign of leaving either. Take your rose coloured glasses off and grow up. You sound like a young Thai male with a fragile ego. <deleted>!

Yet the huge majority agrees with him and only the mirror ( perhaps ) agrees with you.

2 hours ago, Bundooman said:

Let's see, you are outraged that I pointed out you have your dates wrong, you are upset about an unfulfilled campaign promise (are you upset about the repeated broken promises about elections?) and you indulged in a name calling rant.  Are you twelve years old?

What facts did I get wrong?  I stated:

" More to the point, Yingluck was elected in an internationally monitored election.  Lots of fools were saying lots of nonsense (and still are on this forum) however the protests never affected most of Thailand and were dying of apathy.  The coup was staged because the military wanted to be in power during the anticipated event, and they show no signs of leaving. "

Please identify the errors.

1 hour ago, heybruce said:

Let's see, you are outraged that I pointed out you have your dates wrong, you are upset about an unfulfilled campaign promise (are you upset about the repeated broken promises about elections?) and you indulged in a name calling rant.  Are you twelve years old?

What facts did I get wrong?  I stated:

" More to the point, Yingluck was elected in an internationally monitored election.  Lots of fools were saying lots of nonsense (and still are on this forum) however the protests never affected most of Thailand and were dying of apathy.  The coup was staged because the military wanted to be in power during the anticipated event, and they show no signs of leaving. "

Please identify the errors.

I have identified an error: if he came here in 2005, then he is probably a bit more than 12 years old.

That's about it really, otherwise you seem to have got it about right. 9/10 OK?

?

9 hours ago, Happyman58 said:

Lets all just forget about the election Its getting to the stage it dont matter who is in power. Thailand is going backwards at a rate of knots. As the wife says who owns a business she has never seen it so bad. For once she is right as i drive around and see all the empty shops and empty houses. Also look at the tourists spots they are really doing it tough 

Sadly the Thai's in the know knew this for quite sometime & warned of its consequences

The bigger problem is this Junta has no governing skills & it has no experience running a country or moving it forward economically.

That in itself opened the flood gates of side deals/contracts etc & further corruption within the existing govt offices.

They knew the Junta knew squat so they themselves also helped themselves to the trough.

In their minds why not?? being the upper thought since they always see their superiors <sic> do the same

The worst part is this will take many years longer than the Junta's rule (if it ever ends peacefully) to unravel

It will have an accordion effect economically on Thailand.

The smart money (that could) left Thailand in 2015-2016 sold up businesses & homes etc & now

watch & wait. Maybe to return for pennies on the dollars maybe not just depends on what becomes of Thailand overall.

About the voices singing the praises of the junta, remember these are mainly poor expats who look forward to

cheaper prices/weaker baht no matter the cost to the Thai people. As long as they get the rudimentary pleasures

they came to Thailand for they care not about anyone else...especially the Thai people

Little do they realize when a populace is backed into a poverty corner it no longer is a safe haven for anyone especially foreigners

Edited by mania

10 hours ago, sead said:

I have Never, ever seen people that cares  so little about their own country as Thais. When discussing this issue they all say same. That none likes the military. But still no demonstrations etc. Passive people

Unfortunately the Thai's have their critical thinking & spines ripped put of them from an early age.

They are taught it is disrespectful to question any authority.

Whether they be Doctors,Teachers, Politicians, monks etc matters not.

Which is why so many deceitful persons masquerading as these authority figures exist in Thailand

15 hours ago, robblok said:

Sure try to rewrite history.. its what your side is good at. They came out against the amnesty against the corruption. The Shins with their amnesty made it easy for the junta. The amnesty brought the people out on the streets. You can try to rewrite history because it cast a shadow over your side. The fact remains without the people on the streets the coup either would not have happened or the junta its grip would not have been so solid. The Shins brought this on the country. 

For god sake wake up Rob

Go back to 1932 and trace the events look at Pridi and that villain Songkran and how Pridi was in the end made to go to France to end his days as the Big M said he was a commie when he was not. Just the father of Democracy, tell enough lies mate and the stupid start to believe the lies and that is what is going on now and for the last 80 years, the ones who suffer are the majority of Thais who live on peanuts and told to survive by their own means while the rich get richer at the poor Thais expense.

Ripping off the poor its away of life here and will end one day, lets hope not on a bloody account.

All that has happened with all these 20 coup's is Thailand has gone backwards and those non educated boys in green and yellow have stolen the rights and lives of the majority of Thais and made their lives hell. Ask yourself would you every employ one of these generals as a bog cleaner and your answer would be no as there education is to low. Abhisit and suthep are from the same school of low life's.

12 hours ago, joecoolfrog said:

Yet the huge majority agrees with him and only the mirror ( perhaps ) agrees with you.

Just on a point of fact, PTP got about 50% of the vote in the last valid election in 2011, and that is a long way from being  "the huge majority"  that you claim it to be.

They form coalitions to get into power, all but the genuine landslide of 2005, so the fact that TRT/PPP/PTP leads a coalition-government does not mean that they have any sort of genuine majority, only that people who voted for another party then end-up appearing to support the Shins.

I'd also point out that TRT/PPP/PTP has sometimes grown by absorbing other small political-parties, so perhaps the popularity of the original party is also exagerrated, by that factor ?

I'm not saying they're not important, just arguing that they're not quite as popular, as they're often taken to be. :jap:

1 hour ago, Ricardo said:

Just on a point of fact, PTP got about 50% of the vote in the last valid election in 2011, and that is a long way from being  "the huge majority"  that you claim it to be.

They form coalitions to get into power, all but the genuine landslide of 2005, so the fact that TRT/PPP/PTP leads a coalition-government does not mean that they have any sort of genuine majority, only that people who voted for another party then end-up appearing to support the Shins.

I'd also point out that TRT/PPP/PTP has sometimes grown by absorbing other small political-parties, so perhaps the popularity of the original party is also exagerrated, by that factor ?

I'm not saying they're not important, just arguing that they're not quite as popular, as they're often taken to be. :jap:

Your facts are all over the place. PTP won 265 seats and don't even need an coalition. They had the coalition parties to have better representation for the provinces. The coalition parties besides CTP (19 seats) are all single digit seats. Minuscule even collectively compare to 265 seats.  

PTP garnered 15.7 million votes and the next largest votes went to the Dem at 11.4 million. That is a huge margin of wins.

Why try to change facts to suit your agenda. 

9 hours ago, mania said:

Sadly the Thai's in the know knew this for quite sometime & warned of its consequences

The bigger problem is this Junta has no governing skills & it has no experience running a country or moving it forward economically.

That in itself opened the flood gates of side deals/contracts etc & further corruption within the existing govt offices.

They knew the Junta knew squat so they themselves also helped themselves to the trough.

In their minds why not?? being the upper thought since they always see their superiors <sic> do the same

The worst part is this will take many years longer than the Junta's rule (if it ever ends peacefully) to unravel

It will have an accordion effect economically on Thailand.

The smart money (that could) left Thailand in 2015-2016 sold up businesses & homes etc & now

watch & wait. Maybe to return for pennies on the dollars maybe not just depends on what becomes of Thailand overall.

About the voices singing the praises of the junta, remember these are mainly poor expats who look forward to

cheaper prices/weaker baht no matter the cost to the Thai people. As long as they get the rudimentary pleasures

they came to Thailand for they care not about anyone else...especially the Thai people

Little do they realize when a populace is backed into a poverty corner it no longer is a safe haven for anyone especially foreigners

Well spoken and said  

17 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

It is exactly the dire economic state that an election is critically needed. Not only that the cabinet is filled with incompetent generals that know nothing about economic, the junta government is cause of domestic and foreign investors jittery. Those feel good low bearing policies like clearing vendors off streets are causing lot of distress and hardship for the poor. If the junta delay election, the economy situation will deteriorate further. The big companies will continue to monopolize and get wealthier but the poor mass will suffer more and get an occasional handouts to keep them happy temporarily.

eric do you believe the junta is supported by the rich in Thailand If so maybe explains a lot about the Red Bull guy getting away and avoiding justice

3 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Maybe it is time to have a coup to change to a new General PM.  Huh,  Huh?

Spread the money of the top position in the military. Spread the wealth!

Geezer

Geezer In America you use to have the middle class just like Australia Now in both countries the middle class is disappearing  Its either you got money or you have not  Most of he wealth is spread amongst 10% of the population and what is left is spread to the other 90% Same here in Thailand

We live in Sattahip its Navy area, there is a lot of high ranking officers coming to wifes house, recentely they said to us to be READY

Like sh... can hit the fan again.

What they ment it could be another coup, according to them its comming.

I was bit concerned comming it from dudes in uniforms..

So dig ur hole boys... Wouldnt be suprised, its just another coup 555

Guess civil war?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, Happyman58 said:

eric do you believe the junta is supported by the rich in Thailand If so maybe explains a lot about the Red Bull guy getting away and avoiding justice

Not only unfair justice but also tax reforms on land, buildings and inheritance that those rich have the most than normal Thais have been procrastinated time and time again. 

On 10/10/2017 at 10:50 AM, Eric Loh said:

Your facts are all over the place. PTP won 265 seats and don't even need an coalition. They had the coalition parties to have better representation for the provinces. The coalition parties besides CTP (19 seats) are all single digit seats. Minuscule even collectively compare to 265 seats.  

PTP garnered 15.7 million votes and the next largest votes went to the Dem at 11.4 million. That is a huge margin of wins.

Why try to change facts to suit your agenda. 

More spin than a flying-saucer, as usual, Eric. :wink:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_general_election,_2011

You will note that PTP got 44.3% of the constituency-vote, and 48.41% of the proportional-vote, so "about 50% of the vote" just as I had said.  In fact I was being generous.

You accuse me of changing facts to suit my agenda, but don't actually state where I've changed anything at all, in your usual fashion.  So, who's got an agenda now, eh ? :whistling:

I was responding to someone who mistakenly IMHO thought that the Shins are supported by "a huge majority", the numbers prove my case.

3 hours ago, Ricardo said:

More spin than a flying-saucer, as usual, Eric. :wink:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_general_election,_2011

You will note that PTP got 44.3% of the constituency-vote, and 48.41% of the proportional-vote, so "about 50% of the vote" just as I had said.  In fact I was being generous.

You accuse me of changing facts to suit my agenda, but don't actually state where I've changed anything at all, in your usual fashion.  So, who's got an agenda now, eh ? :whistling:

I was responding to someone who mistakenly IMHO thought that the Shins are supported by "a huge majority", the numbers prove my case.

There is, of course, a simple way of settling the argument once and for all.

It is called a free election. You could have one, oh, by the end of January?

Dust off the 1997 Constitution and use that. The Army can bimble back to barracks, clutching their amnesty to their bemedalled bosoms...

Edited by JAG

13 minutes ago, JAG said:

There is, of course, a simple way of settling the argument once and for all.

It is called a free election. You could have one, oh, by the end of January?

Dust off the 1997 Constitution and use that. The Army can bimble back to barracks, clutching their amnesty to their bemedalled bosoms...

And I look forward to it, even it's not until next November, and in-fairness you'll agree that I said as much in the relevant thread ? :whistling:

Meanwhile even Eric's figures confirm what I said, that about 50% support the Shins, and not the "huge majority" which was eroneously being claimed as fact, by an earlier poster.

Back on-topic, it seems that former-PM Abhisit & the academics were right, in what they were quoted as having said about further delays, in the OP.