Bar Closure during funeral week

brommers

A friend who operates a bar near the Night Market told me that he was visited by the police last night and given the definitive low down on closing during the funeral period. Apparently the only mandatory closure is the night of October 26, when the cremation takes place. Up until then and for the rest of the funeral period bars can trade normally but music and shows should be muted.

So we can all relax now and plan our night lives.

52 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Link?

Bangkok Post does not allow links in Thaivisa forum.

If the poster refers to the "Bangkok pauses..." article, I can not find info that goes beyond the main thread about closures:

But still concrete info how the entertainment sector is handled is hard to find.

There was a side-note in a blog that Soi Cowboy (Bangkok) will be shut down from 25 to 27 to give an example.

59 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Owner of a restaurant I was in the other day says he will be open.

And a restaurant (licensed) business behind closed doors will hardly be affected.

So he is free to open.

17 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Bangkok Post does not allow links in Thaivisa forum.

If the poster refers to the "Bangkok pauses..." article, I can not find info that goes beyond the main thread about closures:

But still concrete info how the entertainment sector is handled is hard to find.

There was a side-note in a blog that Soi Cowboy (Bangkok) will be shut down from 25 to 27 to give an example.

And a restaurant (licensed) business behind closed doors will hardly be affected.

So he is free to open.

Like many restaurants in Chiang Mai, that one is open to the street.

3 hours ago, Foxy52 said:

And the police came in our bar last night and informed us we do not have to close tonight either, provided there's no singing or dancing (as if)

Does that mean no live music, recording music, discos (Warm-Up, Spicy, etc.)?

Yes!

Many bars are closed but some were only told in the late afternoon(<deleted>).

One Bar I was in was told to stop serving after 3PM.  other bars in Lower Loi Khroi and Annussarin market were pre warned and had notices outside, others did not bother to open.

Chaos

Can't the powers that be at least announce in advance what they do or do not want.

2 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Yes!

Many bars are closed but some were only told in the late afternoon(<deleted>).

One Bar I was in was told to stop serving after 3PM.  other bars in Lower Loi Khroi and Annussarin market were pre warned and had notices outside, others did not bother to open.

Chaos

Can't the powers that be at least announce in advance what they do or do not want.

"Can't the powers that be at least announce in advance what they do or do not want."

Apparently not, though it seems like a sensible, simple thing to do.

11 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

There is no ban on retail sales of alcohol. Bars are being asked to close as a mark of respect but can open again after midnight.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The bar I was in was TOLD to close (I was there and saw/heard the exchange of "pleasantries" between the barmaid/owner and the BIB), three other bars  I visited (where I am well known) on my way home after that interlude told me that they had also been  told they COULD NOT sell after their visit.

And anyway NO bar can sell after Midnight on any day.(unless of course you are Spicy etc;)

PS;  I just noticed that your Avitar says you are in BKK, so are your comments addressed to Thailand/BKK/or CM

Edited by scottiejohn
see PS

So in summary: The rich - Makro, Tesco etc and I dare say, large hotel bars are allowed to open ( I bought a bottle of Hong Tong for emergency use in Makro this afternoon), whereas decent hard working bar owners (I have some experience of this...) are told at the very last minute -that they cannot. It was ever thus....

The bar I was in was TOLD to close (I was there and saw/heard the exchange of "pleasantries" between the barmaid/owner and the BIB), three other bars  I visited (where I am well known) on my way home after that interlude told me that they had also been  told they COULD NOT sell after their visit.
And anyway NO bar can sell after Midnight on any day.(unless of course you are Spicy etc;)

PS;  I just noticed that your Avitar says you are in BKK, so are your comments addressed to Thailand/BKK/or CM

Apologies, I had forgotten this is in the CM forum. My comments are related to what's happening in Bangkok and Pattaya.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4 hours ago, millwall_fan said:

That depends on the establishment's 'relationship' with the local constabulary.

Hi millwall_fan

As it always has and always will be.

You and I, in both of our ex establishments, (and many others in the same kettle of fish) know that we needed to keep a tight control on the price of "Earl Grey" and get the perfect brew and tasteful outcome for all as a result. If not it could be a very arresting experience!