exchanging thai baht to pounds sterling

i am meeting a guy just off plane from uk,  i am exchanging him thai baht to GBP , he will give me £3000 pounds  and i will give him 133000 thai baht

i need bring all my cash back to uk as thai bank will not let me send it back as swift ( long story )

will a thai bank give me a better rate for my baht ?   

should i contact super rich in bangkok and maybe they will give me a better rate.

on 14th im due to meet 3 other guys from UK and they will change their UK pounds with me .  i am giving 1 point up so example best exchange in pattaya today is 43.7  so i will give say approx 44.7

is this a good way to go about things, i know it is pretty unsafe practise but im stuck 

15 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Why not just change your Baht to GBP at a money changer like SuperRich? Today they are selling at 44B.

yes i think to be safe i should do this,   so my plan is to leave pattaya and go to BKK  to one of these money exchanges.

though,  will they let me buy £9000  GBP  obviously i will have my passport and my kasikorn passbook with me.  

do i withdraw say 400.000 baht from my kasikorn branch then take it to super rich ? 

advice please

I'm pretty sure that 400,000 baht is no problem. My wife changed 350,000 baht into Kwon (South Korean won) at Super Rich 2 months ago. Like Kitten Kong says you could ask them - their phone no is on the web site and when I phoned them to find out the nearest location convenient to us they spoke reasonable English at their call centre. Just take a passport - they are uninterested in where the money comes from. If arriving from Pattaya by bus you ,might find it useful to know that there is a small Super Rich booth in the basement (like car parking floors) of Emporium shopping Mall (coupla stops up the BTS line to Phrom Pong station). Difficult to find* (we searched for at least 20 mins) as the floor reference that the call centre gives out is insufficient for most employees in that mall to work out and it confusingly has a reference that is mirrored with a location across the road at the sister mall Emquartier. 

Go in the main doors off the street (Sukhumvit south side) and you run into the high-end fashion shops on both sides of you. Find the stairs immediately near you and go down two floors and you should run into it. I think it's floor B2. If my recollection is flawed ask around!

2 hours ago, pumpjack said:

yes i think to be safe i should do this,   so my plan is to leave pattaya and go to BKK  to one of these money exchanges.

though,  will they let me buy £9000  GBP  obviously i will have my passport and my kasikorn passbook with me.  

do i withdraw say 400.000 baht from my kasikorn branch then take it to super rich ? 

advice please

If you go to the head office near BigC (orange or green) you will have absolutely no problem, that small change for them and you will get the best rate.

If you go to one of the branch offices of the orange super rich they may not have enough sterling in stock.

Do not forget that you will have to declare the cash on the way into the U.K. as it is just over the limit of €10,000. You will probably be asked where it came from as well

Even if you get just under the limit of cash to the U.K. You may get stopped by a cash dog and will also be asked to show where the money came from.

No problem out of Thailand as it is well under the $20,000 limit 

Edited by sometimewoodworker

5 hours ago, pumpjack said:

i am giving 1 point up so example best exchange in pattaya today is 43.7  so i will give say approx 44.7

You are losing money doing this. As has been suggested, go to Super Rich head office with baht notes and your passport.

They won't bat an eyelid at 9,000 pounds. They will only say something if you want over £45,000 more than once daily.

The only (rare) situation you might run into is if they have no pounds in stock. This has happened to me only once in several years.

If this happens, go to Vasu on the corner of Sukhumvit 7/1. Almost identical rates.

Superrich will exchange up to 800,000 baht to foreign currency. 

It is in their FAQ: https://www.superrichthailand.com/#!/en/contact#faq

There are 2 Superrich at Ratchadamri, close to Big C, so try both if you need to move more.

There is a Kasikorn Bank right in front of Superrich, so you can do it all in one spot.

Edited by ExpatOilWorker

Be aware that the old £10 notes are no longer accepted so if you are getting any tenners check that they are the new type or you could find that you have a hand ful of nothing.

knowing that there would be absolutely NO comeback ( because how can you prove it ) it would not be beyond the bounds of possibility that super rich or the guys you are meeting may innocently or by design to off load a bunch of duds on you.

So look on the Bank of England web site at the old and new and print off the picture before you separate yourself from your cash.

If any one tries to off load any of the old on you walk away from the entire deal because there are a lot of fake 20 and 50 about aswel.

make sure of the metal strip and all the numbers are different and don't forget the water mark.

You may be well advised to take a couple of mates with you for back up against the guys you are trading with and or any one who sees you dealing with super rich etc .

Hope this is helpful and good luck

4 hours ago, Janner1 said:

Be aware that the old £10 notes are no longer accepted so if you are getting any tenners check that they are the new type or you could find that you have a hand ful of nothing.

knowing that there would be absolutely NO comeback ( because how can you prove it ) it would not be beyond the bounds of possibility that super rich or the guys you are meeting may innocently or by design to off load a bunch of duds on you.

So look on the Bank of England web site at the old and new and print off the picture before you separate yourself from your cash.

If any one tries to off load any of the old on you walk away from the entire deal because there are a lot of fake 20 and 50 about aswel.

make sure of the metal strip and all the numbers are different and don't forget the water mark.

You may be well advised to take a couple of mates with you for back up against the guys you are trading with and or any one who sees you dealing with super rich etc .

Hope this is helpful and good luck

They are still being accepted in the UK until next year.

The old £10 note is set to go out of circulation in spring 2018.

i am meeting a guy just off plane from uk,  i am exchanging him thai baht to GBP , he will give me £3000 pounds  and i will give him 133000 thai baht

i need bring all my cash back to uk as thai bank will not let me send it back as swift ( long story )

will this not cause you a problem if you get a pull at customs in the UK and ask about why you are carrying large amounts of cash ????????

My mind was taken back to a recent incident on importing currency by catman's post. Do immigration officials have any way of detecting someone importing currency if they don't declare it and don't happen to stop you and search?

My wife took 350,000 baht worth of Korean Won to South Korea recently. As we sat on the plane I asked her about the money and she said it was down below in the hold. I hit the roof and explained how crazy that was and the risk of theft from baggage handlers at either end. My anger turned to sympathy when I reflected on how stupid I was not to have given forethought and guidance on the matter and particularly after I saw how much brick she was excreting until it arrived safely on the carousel (one of the last bags of course just to increase the drama).

But do baggage scans reveal paper money? Somehow I doubt it, unless it is metal striped in which case maybe. One for the air-transport geeks to answer maybe.

No alterior motive behind my musings - I'm always squeaky clean!

[We declared it on the customs card handed out on the plane as I thought it must have squeaked over their $10k threshold. Went thru the green channel just to see if it raised interest and the bored immi clerk did a double take and whistled us across to the real immi checkers. They simply asked to see it and why we were bringing that much; no drama (they also scanned the bag for good measure)].

Edited by SantiSuk

41 minutes ago, catman20 said:

will this not cause you a problem if you get a pull at customs in the UK and ask about why you are carrying large amounts of cash ????????

if your meeting guys off the plane to do illegal activity don't forget,THERE ARE CAMERA'S EVERYWHERE.

you need time to check every note,so 2blokes going into the bog together will surely raise an eyebrow or two.:shock1:

23 minutes ago, meatboy said:

if your meeting guys off the plane to do illegal activity don't forget,THERE ARE CAMERA'S EVERYWHERE.

you need time to check every note,so 2blokes going into the bog together will surely raise an eyebrow or two.:shock1:

thats not what a was asking read my post again please.:sorry:

28 minutes ago, catman20 said:

thats not what a was asking read my post again please.:sorry:

sorry I see you were responding to pumpjacks problem.thats not the only problem he has.

seems he has been visiting toooooooooooooooooooo many bars and has been lucky to walk away from them without harm.only a few bht. 

7 hours ago, catman20 said:

Should only be a problem if the amount involved was more than the equivalent of 10,000 EUR:-

https://www.gov.uk/bringing-cash-into-uk

Sadly the days when 3,000 GBP was worth anywhere near 10,000 EUR are but a distant memory:sad: