bar ripped me off, sick of walking away

pumpjack

On 10/22/2017 at 6:30 AM, InMyShadow said:

What am I missing? The bin holds the receipts and I check them and can do basic math so where is the catch?

That's a great idea that probably preempts a lot of innocent mixups and casual scams.  But it won't save your bacon in a truly despicable bar. 

It's a lot like the people who suggest taking photos of the jet ski before you rent it so you have evidence of any pre-existing damage.  Which works okay in a game of wits where evidence counts, and the cops actually enforce the law.  But every once in a while, it's just brutal extortion, and no amount of evidence is going to prevent getting cheated.

If there are 4 big, mean looking guys to do the owner's bidding, it doesn't matter what's in the bin.  You're going to pay what they demand and no cop's going to save you because they'll just toss 20 more chits into the bin while they're waiting for the cops to arrive.  And there's not a damn thing you can do about it.  Because the cops are probably in on it, too.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/11/2017 at 2:45 PM, observer90210 said:

The golden rule in Thai Bars....never let the bill add up...always pay each time you order.

In fact in restaurants however, I also always openly write down the amounts of the dishes or drinks ordered on my phone or on a paper and make sure the employees see what I am doing...it avoids the temptation to overcharge on the final bill...

The farang will never be in his right and is just a walking ATM for many such venues....

Keep that in mind, be safe with common sense and enjoy the chicks and the booze...

Yes stay on top. Ride them.like they were made for

The most blatant try on I've experienced was on the way back from the office wife and self stopped in a Thai restaurant and had a bite to eat, a beer and a glass of wine.

When the bill was asked for it had 4 pepsi added on to it.

Wife pointed to the bill and asked why 4 pepsi ?

Answer was, someone had them. My wife's answer back was, well find someone  to pay for them. I think she left a one baht tip.

9 hours ago, 6thST said:

No but could save your arse from getting bashed.... 

My Son In law is a Thai Police man , My wife use to train the Bangkok police to shoot Guns, so  not real dream on.

Edited by Thongkorn

On 10/26/2017 at 4:47 AM, balo said:

I was overcharged by 2 baht for an oat roll the other day at Best, it was 14 baht but they asked for 16 . The lady did a mistake and I complained.  She'll remember me from now  on.  

Bummer.  You broke rule #1:  Never piss off anyone who can spit in my food.

Lots of places I can't eat any more since I lost my temper...

On 10/27/2017 at 1:02 AM, Thongkorn said:

My Son In law is a Thai Police man , My wife use to train the Bangkok police to shoot Guns, so  not real dream on.

that wont stop it, they may not be around when your getting your arse bashed in.

Edited by catman20

On 27/10/2017 at 9:24 AM, xylophone said:

Now all they need is someone to teach them when to use them (i.e. not in bars or to shoot ex g/fs etc).

I rest my case......................

PHUKET: LCpl Ruangrit Jaritgam of Phuket City Police was charged on multiple counts after he fired his gun and shot another man at a petrol station on Thepkrasattri Rd in Srisoonthorn yesterday afternoon (Oct 27).

On 10/12/2017 at 9:45 AM, novo58 said:

Just wondering in how many NON_ ASIAN countries do people run a "bin" or similar tab system---i m sure the answer would be NOT MANY.

I manager pubs/bars/clubs in Australia.....and it is ALWAYS a pay as you drink basis ......why should thailand be different.

if you are really feeling generous - you can always leave all that loose coin as a tip.

In the States, it is usually up to the customer. You can pay per drink or rack up a tab. As most people nowadays use some type of card, I suspect that a good number of people choose to pay at the end of the night. Usually, though they make you leave the card you intend to pay on at the bar on the chance that you forget to pay. All walked tabs will usually have a surcharge. Of course, in the west we also have this great invention called a receipt which itemizes things for you (something they don't really seem to understand at non-international chains in Thailand). 

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 8:56 PM, RBOP said:

be grateful you didn't charged 20 - 30 thousand on top of bin like has happened in some bars. 

Old Farangs should know this is a common practice in LOS. Don't act so surprised or outraged when it finally happens to you on a booze and give the girls another round night of drinking. Cannot imagine raising a stink over a 500 baht rip off, knowing what can happen to you. Here is a thought. Pay the girls bar fine, take her to your room and drink until you pass out, but be sure to lock your money in the room safe. Better yet, let your girlfriend for the night lock it away for you before you pass out. I love you long time G. I. LOL

Was their girls around, wouldn’t be the first time they have bought themselves drinks on your tab without telling you. Happens often in a bar in Sio Nana, I won’t mention the bars name today or tonight.....wink wink.

Edited by cat handler

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 6:03 PM, Thongkorn said:

why will they pay my Bar bill.

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 11:02 AM, tomwct said:

Call the Tourist Police!

I once called the tourist police. There wasn't a complaint just wanted some instructions for the buses, I think. The response was immediate and an officer with a very warm and welcoming attitude gave me what I wanted. Before hanging up he asked me twice if there is something else he could help me with and added not to hesitate and call Tourist Police. I thanked him and he thanked me. That has been a very positive experience for me . The man seemed genuinely eager to serve. There is still hope..

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 8:01 AM, cooked said:

Some of us think that people that go to bars regularly deserve to be ripped off. 

Some of us think that people who post such prudish, childish and sneering comments deserve a fat lip!

Took pity on an empty bar owner in a well known tourist area and sat down and had a few beers. Was overcharged by the young cashier 1 beer which I pointed out but she stood her ground. Now I know why it's empty and I will never return here again. Left this bar to go to 7/11 and bought a coconut water for 25. Gave 40 and received 5 change. Pointed it out straight away and was reimbursed. Seems prevalent in tourist towns. Same scam or coincidence? I'm not sure.

Edited by pow01

It seems that happens regularly to some people and not at all to others. The last time someone tried to rip me off like that was years ago when my girlfriend, not working and unknown in that bar, ordered a coke and the cashier decided to make a lady-drink for herself out of that coke. I told her about her mistake when I had to pay and she corrected it. No other rip-off attempt for years. And I go to lots of bars. Maybe I just make sure I don't get soooo drunk that the cashier thinks she can bill whatever she wants...

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/10/2017 at 4:02 AM, Alphy said:

PAYG (pay as you go) was someone's advice! My partner who is 100% Thai has always informed me "DO NOT TRUST ANYONE" so I have lived by that Mantra as sound advice. All part of the learning curve sadly.

You trust this guy? I'd be skeptical I mean why the need to confirm he's 100% thai? I mean if HD says trust no one a.d then claims to be 100% thai it's gotta be BS.

I once went into a TescoExpress with a 1000 baht note in my wallet. I bought just under 200 baht and got back 800+ baht change. Shortly after leaving the store, I looked in my wallet and there was 1200 baht. I went back to the store and, in my reasonable Thai, finally got across to the young girl cashier that, instead of 1-500 baht note and 3-100 baht notes, she gave me 2-500 baht notes and 2-100 baht notes.

I had considered just walking but the young cashier would have a short till at end of the day and I ain't no thief. So it can at times work both ways.

9 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

I once went into a TescoExpress with a 1000 baht note in my wallet. I bought just under 200 baht and got back 800+ baht change. Shortly after leaving the store, I looked in my wallet and there was 1200 baht. I went back to the store and, in my reasonable Thai, finally got across to the young girl cashier that, instead of 1-500 baht note and 3-100 baht notes, she gave me 2-500 baht notes and 2-100 baht notes.

I had considered just walking but the young cashier would have a short till at end of the day and I ain't no thief. So it can at times work both ways.

Indeed it can.  I'm counting the change as it arrives in the palm of my hand and on many occasions gave the cashier the confused look - that has unnerved them - and they finally twig that they're giving me free money.  All's well that ends well.