Russia protests to U.S. 'shameful' theft of consulate flags

webfact

Russia protests to U.S. 'shameful' theft of consulate flags

tag-reuters-2.jpg

FILE PHOTO: The Consulate General of Russia is seen in San Francisco, California, U.S., October 3, 2017. REUTERS/Stephen Lam

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russia protested to the United States on Wednesday after it said Russian flags were stolen from its consulate in San Francisco, a charge that Washington immediately disputed.

Russian staff left the consulate last month after Washington ordered Moscow to vacate some of its diplomatic properties, part of a series of tit-for-tat actions as relations sour between the two countries.

U.S. officials have since occupied administrative parts of the compound. Russia said last week they had broken into residential areas and it threatened retaliation over what it called an illegal act.

"The latest shameful event. In San Francisco (Russian) flags have been stolen from the building of @ConsulRussiaSF," the Russian embassy to the United States said on its Russian-language Twitter account.

"We demand the American authorities return our state symbols," it said alongside pictures of a bare flagpole on top of the consulate building.

The U.S. State Department offered a different account of events.

"The flags at the former Russian consular properties in San Francisco were respectfully lowered and are safely stored within each of the buildings," a State Department official said in an email.

The Russian embassy in Washington was not immediately available for comment.

Russian news agencies cited the Russian embassy as saying it had lodged a formal protest over the incident.

"A strong protest was sent to the American side in relation to Russian flags being torn down at our diplomatic properties in San Francisco, which are under the control of U.S. authorities," Interfax news agency quoted the embassy as saying in a statement.

"We consider this as an extremely unfriendly step," the embassy said.

(Reporting by Jack Stubbs in Moscow; Additional reporting by Warren Strobel in Washington; Editing by Peter Cooney)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-10-12

36 minutes ago, webfact said:

"The flags at the former Russian consular properties in San Francisco were respectfully lowered and are safely stored within each of the buildings," a State Department official said in an email.

Seems like the proper thing to do.  More propaganda?

The Yanks expelled a number of diplomats on the well-known tit-for-tat modulo, a often practiced show of force - slightly outdated after the end of the cold war.

This, however, does not mean that the diplomatic property is no longer a diplomatic property. Most properties are bought by the respective country hence it remains the Russian consulate, presently not manned by (expelled) diplomats. 

Unless they start throwing nukes at each other and behave like 3-years old kindergarteners it can be expected that things will improve (maybe after the Mensa test of Mr. Tillerson?). 

And if local (American) personnel hired by the Russians is in the building then I wonder what the official US is caring about folding and storing flags. 

Bloody ridiculous, if you ask me - but who am I! 

10 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

The Yanks expelled a number of diplomats on the well-known tit-for-tat modulo, a often practiced show of force - slightly outdated after the end of the cold war.

This, however, does not mean that the diplomatic property is no longer a diplomatic property. Most properties are bought by the respective country hence it remains the Russian consulate, presently not manned by (expelled) diplomats. 

Unless they start throwing nukes at each other and behave like 3-years old kindergarteners it can be expected that things will improve (maybe after the Mensa test of Mr. Tillerson?). 

And if local (American) personnel hired by the Russians is in the building then I wonder what the official US is caring about folding and storing flags. 

Yanks?  Some of us don't like that term.  It's not a term of endearment.

Agree it's ridiculous.  It's a flag <deleted>.  And who knows where they really are.  Non-news, just propaganda for the masses.

6 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Yanks?  Some of us don't like that term.  It's not a term of endearment.

Agree it's ridiculous.  It's a flag <deleted>.  And who knows where they really are.  Non-news, just propaganda for the masses.

I've noticed that only one poster so far in this forum has objected to the use of the term "Yanks" And that's you. So I'm guessing that that when you write "us" it's the royal "us". Looking to be offended much?

I don't know the facts about what was done to the Russkie flags in San Francisco, and I don't care either way. As far as I'm concerned Putin's messing in the U.S. elections to help elect an insane and incompetent potus in such an aggressive way (now CONFIRMED) was an act of war. Acts of war have CONSEQUENCES, at least normally. But the current clown potus regime is anything but normal. Recently it's revealed that they're dragging their feet on already decided SANCTIONS against Russia. Nobody is surprised. 

1 hour ago, ilostmypassword said:

I've noticed that only one poster so far in this forum has objected to the use of the term "Yanks" And that's you. So I'm guessing that that when you write "us" it's the royal "us". Looking to be offended much?

I've gotten many likes for my posts stating this.  For your information. 

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=yankees

The word is a derogatory term used to describe Americans by the Brits, Canadians, Australians and the like; but in the USA used to define an American from the Northern States in the USA, such as New England and the Mid-West.

7 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

I've gotten many likes for my posts stating this.  For your information. 

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=yankees

Yank is a shortened form of Yankee, a slang term (sometimes pejorative) for someone of American origin or heritage. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yank

It depends on the context. 

1 hour ago, ilostmypassword said:

Yank is a shortened form of Yankee, a slang term (sometimes pejorative) for someone of American origin or heritage. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yank

It depends on the context. 

As your link says.

sometimes pejorative

As used here quite often. Mostly by those with mainly anti US posts.

On 10/12/2017 at 9:39 AM, Sydebolle said:

Not sure where you get your theory that U.S Russian relations are about to improve. I think they will get even worse first and possibly for a very long time. 

13 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Not sure where you get your theory that U.S Russian relations are about to improve. I think they will get even worse first and possibly for a very long time. 

Could not agree more on that but while the rhetorics are going on there are massive trade deals taking place; US wheat for Russia, Russian energy for the US. 

Call it smoke screen, call it toddler misbehaving - ridiculous. 

Only once the Putins, the Kids and the Trumps on this planet realize that they all live on the same disk (Galileo Galilei's theory might not have hit home with them yet) 

9 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Could not agree more on that but while the rhetorics are going on there are massive trade deals taking place; US wheat for Russia, Russian energy for the US. 

Call it smoke screen, call it toddler misbehaving - ridiculous. 

Only once the Putins, the Kids and the Trumps on this planet realize that they all live on the same disk (Galileo Galilei's theory might not have hit home with them yet) 

Russian energy for the US? Why? The US is about to be a net exporter. And it gets most of its imports from Canada. And Russia is actually a massive exporter of wheat, and is in a major rivalry with the USA for that market.

4 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

Russian energy for the US? Why? The US is about to be a net exporter. And it gets most of its imports from Canada. And Russia is actually a massive exporter of wheat, and is in a major rivalry with the USA for that market.

Not that it matters and not being a matter of right or wrong but the Office of the United States Trade Representative shows a seriously different picture to yours. The US imports/Russian exports were 71% of the bilateral trade. Of the trade going to the US, a hefty USD 19.4 bio (or 72%) was mineral fuel alone, the agricultural imports from Russia a mere USD 40 million or 0.15%; but see for yourself.  The picture at the end shows the 2017 figures (first eight months), the volume drastically down both ends but same imbalance. 

So in all fairness; is not the pot calling the kettle black?

U.S.-Russia Trade Facts

Russia is currently our 23rd largest goods trading partner with $38.1 billion in total (two way) goods trade during 2013. Goods exports totaled $11.2 billion; Goods imports totaled $27.0 billion. The U.S. goods trade deficit with Russia was $15.8 billion in 2013.

Exports

Russia was the United States 28th largest goods export market in 2013. U.S. goods exports to Russia in 2013 were $11.2 billion, up 4.3% ($465 million) from 2012.

The top export categories (2-digit HS) in 2013 were: Machinery ($2.3 billion), Vehicles ($2.0 billion), Aircraft ($2.0 billion), Electrical Machinery ($674 million), and Optic and Medical Instruments ($660 million).

U.S. exports of agricultural products to Russia totaled $1.2 billion in 2013. Leading categories include: poultry meat ($310 million), tree nuts ($172 million), soybeans ($157 million), and live animals ($149 million).

Imports

Russia was the United States 18th largest supplier of goods imports in 2013.

U.S. goods imports from Russia totaled $27.0 billion in 2013, a 8.2% decrease ($2.4 billion) from 2012. U.S. imports from Russia accounted for 1.2% of total U.S. imports in 2013.

The five largest import categories in 2013 were: Mineral Fuel (oil) ($19.4 billion), Iron and Steel ($1.6 billion), Inorganic Chemical (enriched uranium) ($1.4 billion), Fertilizers ($815 million), and Precious Stones (platinum) ($813 million).

U.S. imports of agricultural products from Russia totaled $40 million in 2013.

Trade Balance

The U.S. goods trade deficit with Russia was $15.8 billion in 2013, a 15.4% decrease ($2.9 billion) over 2012. The U.S. goods deficit with Russia accounted for 2.3% of the overall U.S goods trade deficit in 2013.

Screenshot 2017-10-13 17.58.59.jpg

10 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

Not that it matters and not being a matter of right or wrong but the Office of the United States Trade Representative shows a seriously different picture to yours. The US imports/Russian exports were 71% of the bilateral trade. Of the trade going to the US, a hefty USD 19.4 bio (or 72%) was mineral fuel alone, the agricultural imports from Russia a mere USD 40 million or 0.15%; but see for yourself.  The picture at the end shows the 2017 figures (first eight months), the volume drastically down both ends but same imbalance. 

So in all fairness; is not the pot calling the kettle black?

U.S.-Russia Trade Facts

Russia is currently our 23rd largest goods trading partner with $38.1 billion in total (two way) goods trade during 2013. Goods exports totaled $11.2 billion; Goods imports totaled $27.0 billion. The U.S. goods trade deficit with Russia was $15.8 billion in 2013.

Exports

Russia was the United States 28th largest goods export market in 2013. U.S. goods exports to Russia in 2013 were $11.2 billion, up 4.3% ($465 million) from 2012.

The top export categories (2-digit HS) in 2013 were: Machinery ($2.3 billion), Vehicles ($2.0 billion), Aircraft ($2.0 billion), Electrical Machinery ($674 million), and Optic and Medical Instruments ($660 million).

U.S. exports of agricultural products to Russia totaled $1.2 billion in 2013. Leading categories include: poultry meat ($310 million), tree nuts ($172 million), soybeans ($157 million), and live animals ($149 million).

Imports

Russia was the United States 18th largest supplier of goods imports in 2013.

U.S. goods imports from Russia totaled $27.0 billion in 2013, a 8.2% decrease ($2.4 billion) from 2012. U.S. imports from Russia accounted for 1.2% of total U.S. imports in 2013.

The five largest import categories in 2013 were: Mineral Fuel (oil) ($19.4 billion), Iron and Steel ($1.6 billion), Inorganic Chemical (enriched uranium) ($1.4 billion), Fertilizers ($815 million), and Precious Stones (platinum) ($813 million).

U.S. imports of agricultural products from Russia totaled $40 million in 2013.

Trade Balance

The U.S. goods trade deficit with Russia was $15.8 billion in 2013, a 15.4% decrease ($2.9 billion) over 2012. The U.S. goods deficit with Russia accounted for 2.3% of the overall U.S goods trade deficit in 2013.

Screenshot 2017-10-13 17.58.59.jpg

Kindly allow me to interject your posting with another poster thx.

The feds are into the Russian trade mission building in Washington too. The trade mission building is one of three Russian diplomatic and trade functions closed in three cities by order of the Department of State. It is still our country despite all the espionage Putin does in our elections of Potus.

Just 0.5% of American exports go to Russia, making it a smaller market than Bermuda or Peru. On the flip side, Russian goods and services make up just 0.7% of total U.S. imports. U.S. trade with China is 20x our trade with Russia.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-russia-usa-diplomacy-note/russia-hands-note-of-protest-to-u-s-over-plans-to-search-trade-mission-idUSKCN1BD0GK

Washington DC fire department authorities arrived at the Russian trade mission building due to fires that turned out to be burning in the fireplaces. DepState security and intelligence  officials sped to the scene to confirm that the building was safe and secure and being vacated. DepState cited provisions of the Vienna Convention on diplomatic immunity and national security.

Russian officials were forewarned of the inspection and, according to a report in Foreign Policy magazine, lit a fire on Friday apparently to burn documents at the facility, AFP reported.

"Today, Russian Embassy personnel, together with State Department officials, walked through three properties in San Francisco, New York and Washington, DC that the Russian government is required to close," a State Department official said.

"These inspections were carried out to secure and protect the facilities and to confirm the Russian government had vacated the premises," he said, adding that all three are now closed.

https://www.tasnimnews.com/en/news/2017/09/03/1509043/us-agents-close-russian-trade-mission-moscow-protests

If I were there I'd light up the fireplace using a Russian flag. Every one of 'em.

Edited by Publicus
Burn baby burn.

On 10/12/2017 at 5:30 PM, ilostmypassword said:

My experience in Thailand is that Brits seldom use the term 'yank' when referring to Americans. Brits usually say 'you' or 'they' in context when talking to or about us.

Some Australians use 'yank' to me but not often. So just about the only people I hear using the word yank or yankee are Australians and yokel marblemouths down under the Mason-Dixon line. Many Australians also refer to Robert E. Lee as Robert Lee. Methinks youse guyz from down under confuse battles of the Civil War with Kungfu movies.

Just sayin.

Edited by Publicus
Marblemouths all down there.