Boy Scouts of America to allow girls to join, earn Eagle Scout rank

webfact

Boy Scouts of America to allow girls to join, earn Eagle Scout rank

By Gina Cherelus and Bernie Woodall

tag-reuters.jpg

An Eagle Scout patch is pictured in Orlando, Florida in this May 30, 2012 file photograph. REUTERS/David Manning/Files

(Reuters) - In a historic shift, the Boy Scouts of America will let girls enroll in Cub Scouts starting next year and allow them to eventually earn the highest rank of Eagle Scout, the organization said on Wednesday.

The unanimous decision by the 100-year-old group's board of directors came after years of requests from families and girls, it said, though the announcement prompted a largely negative reaction on social media.

"We believe it is critical to evolve how our programs meet the needs of families interested in positive and lifelong experiences for their children," Boy Scouts Chief Executive Michael Surbaugh said in a statement.

The Boy Scouts of America (BSA) has lost about a third of its members since 2000, which now stands at 2.3 million. BSA insisted that allowing girls was in response to the needs of families, not related to declining membership.

The Girl Scouts of the USA said girls thrive in a girl-only environment, and that "we are girl experts."

Starting in 2018, the Boy Scouts will allow girls to join the 7- to 10-year-old Cub Scouts. Small, community-level "dens" will be single-gender. Larger "packs," which are comprised of dens, will decide whether to include dens of each gender or not, the BSA said.

In a program to be announced next year and projected to start in 2019, girls will follow the same curriculum as the Boy Scouts, which are for ages 11-17.

Surbaugh in a tweet said, "Today, the BSA opens a new chapter in our history w/a unanimous vote to welcome girls to Cub through Eagle Rank."

After the announcement, the Girl Scouts issued a statement that did not mention the Boy Scouts or its move to include girls.

"Girl Scouts remains committed to and believes strongly in the importance of the all-girl, girl-led and girl-friendly environment that Girl Scouts provides, which creates a necessary safe space for girls to learn and thrive," the organization said.

In August, a top Girl Scout official accused the Boy Scouts of running a "covert campaign" to recruit girls to increase its declining membership, the Washington Post reported.

The program for girls older than Cub Scouts projected to begin in 2019 will allow them to earn the Eagle Scout rank, the highest achievement in the organization.

On social media, hundreds of people were critical of the news, with many posts echoing the sentiments of Donald Trump Jr., the president's son.

"Strange, I thought that's what the Girl Scouts was for???" he said on Twitter.

Sing Oldham, spokesman for the Southern Baptist Convention, said the announcement continued a "reinvention" of the Boy Scouts his group does not support, including the decision in 2013 to allow openly gay members.

In January, the Boy Scouts also opted to allow transgender boys to join.

(Reporting by Gina Cherelus in New York and Bernie Woodall in Fort Lauderdale, Florida; editing by Colleen Jenkins and David Gregorio)

reuters_logo.jpg
    -- © Copyright Reuters 2017-10-12

Never been a scout, dunno whats scouts do in the first place but....

Job well done. Keep destroying everything "all male" until there is nothing left. Call me an <deleted> all you want, all I'm going to do now is keeping my ears open to see how long the first sexual assault claim takes to roll in and at that I'm not even going to differentiate between a real and false case either, any case will do.

11 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

So ,girls can join the boy scouts ,but boys cant join the girl scouts because they need an all girl  'safe space" ?

It's called equality nowadays, I can't explain it to you coherently with logic, because it falls apart whenever you string the first sentence togehter.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

"Girl Scouts remains committed to and believes strongly in the importance of the all-girl, girl-led and girl-friendly environment that Girl Scouts provides, which creates a necessary safe space for girls to learn and thrive," the organization said.

With all this politically correct, double-speak, sensitivity-avoiding flim-flam about gender identity in kids, the history of shirt-lifting in the male-oriented facet of the scouting and guiding fraternity and the sad truth behind such idiotic justifications like, "We believe it is critical to evolve how our programs meet the needs of families interested in positive and lifelong experiences for their children," I take from this the following.

Girls who want to be boys can now join the boy scouts.

Boys who want to be girls cannot join the girl scouts.

Girls who want to be boys with other girls will have all the protections of the, "necessary safe space for girls to learn and thrive."

Edited by NanLaew

This is like the biggest nothing-burger of news. The Boy Scouts is so like 1950s and is a dying and discredited institution like so many in America. What with gay Scout leaders diddling boys and now girls and next transgenders being allowed to join (or are they already in being that they are biological males?) most real Americans have already withdrawn their children from the organization.

The Scouts, if it is to regain any sense or relevancy, needs a big Trump-flush ala the NFL. Then people might trust it again.

7 hours ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

This is like the biggest nothing-burger of news. The Boy Scouts is so like 1950s and is a dying and discredited institution like so many in America. What with gay Scout leaders diddling boys and now girls and next transgenders being allowed to join (or are they already in being that they are biological males?) most real Americans have already withdrawn their children from the organization.

The Scouts, if it is to regain any sense or relevancy, needs a big Trump-flush ala the NFL. Then people might trust it again.

Thank you for your ethnocentric input. My view is somewhat different, having gone from Bobcat to Eagle Scout and having served as the International Representative of my Scout Council in Western Kentucky. I conducted several international Scout Exchanges. Horrors! Worldwide Scout Movement includes both male and female members. We come by our Puritan, stifled outlook honestly through our history but ... 

On 12/10/2017 at 10:30 AM, Ceruhe said:

Never been a scout, dunno whats scouts do in the first place but....

Job well done. Keep destroying everything "all male" until there is nothing left. Call me an <deleted> all you want, all I'm going to do now is keeping my ears open to see how long the first sexual assault claim takes to roll in and at that I'm not even going to differentiate between a real and false case either, any case will do.

It's called equality nowadays, I can't explain it to you coherently with logic, because it falls apart whenever you string the first sentence togehter.

Equality no, equivalency yes.

Some sex segregation is necessary.

Feminists seem to have lost that ideal.

:post-4641-1156693976:

Why don't you ever see these (can't think of a pc term for 'bimbos who shove biased gender equality down everyone's throat') fighting for their bar stool at the VFW, Moose Lodge or Elks Club? Not high profile enough I guess.

Glad I did my scouting days many, many years ago.

1 hour ago, mrwebb8825 said:

I'd love to see them try and force their way into the Free Mason's membership. :tongue:

The Freemasons should be so lucky.

Lodges close as professionals shun Masons

HUNDREDS of Britain's masonic lodges are under threat of closure because of a drastic decline in membership.

Freemasonry, once seen as a prerequisite for business success or enhanced social status, is now being shunned by a new breed of professional which regards the order as eccentric and irrelevant. The society, known for its secrecy and unusual initiation rituals, is currently losing up to 6,000 members a year.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1347559/Lodges-close-as-professionals-shun-Masons.html

Masons, other service groups fight membership declines

In an effort to boost flagging membership across the USA, an increasing number of Masonic lodges, like other fraternal service groups, are abandoning secretive ways and inviting the public in to see what the organization is really all about.

There are fewer Masons today — by nearly a million — than there were in 1941 as the country came out of the Great Depression, says Richard Fletcher, executive secretary of the Masonic Service Association of North America. There are an estimated 3 million members worldwide and 1.5 million in the USA, he says, compared with more than 4 million members in the USA in 1959.

https://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/2011-01-31-masons31_ST_N.htm

Here are some grim statistics for the USA:

http://www.msana.com/msastats.asp

• 3 weeks later...

There will be pregnant Girl Scouts after the first "Jamboree" we used to swim across the lake to get a glimpse of the girl scouts undressing - now they will share camps together  ???   They have taken all the fun out of being a Boy Scout.:sorry:

On 14/10/2017 at 5:12 PM, ilostmypassword said:

The Freemasons should be so lucky.

Lodges close as professionals shun Masons

HUNDREDS of Britain's masonic lodges are under threat of closure because of a drastic decline in membership.

Freemasonry, once seen as a prerequisite for business success or enhanced social status, is now being shunned by a new breed of professional which regards the order as eccentric and irrelevant. The society, known for its secrecy and unusual initiation rituals, is currently losing up to 6,000 members a year.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1347559/Lodges-close-as-professionals-shun-Masons.html

Masons, other service groups fight membership declines

In an effort to boost flagging membership across the USA, an increasing number of Masonic lodges, like other fraternal service groups, are abandoning secretive ways and inviting the public in to see what the organization is really all about.

There are fewer Masons today — by nearly a million — than there were in 1941 as the country came out of the Great Depression, says Richard Fletcher, executive secretary of the Masonic Service Association of North America. There are an estimated 3 million members worldwide and 1.5 million in the USA, he says, compared with more than 4 million members in the USA in 1959.

https://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/2011-01-31-masons31_ST_N.htm

Here are some grim statistics for the USA:

http://www.msana.com/msastats.asp

And men join the Women's Institute...

Masons are all on the golf field now swinging their bats.

What about all the new genders now recognised.

MGBGT lot will be demanding Gooly gooly whatsom, ging gang goo rights.

:crazy: