Floods not as bad as 2011 crisis despite inundation: authorities

webfact

Floods not as bad as 2011 crisis despite inundation: authorities

By Pratch Rujivanarom 
The Nation

c6799e9fb96aa9cbe8995e1a4994657b-sld.jpg

Prominent expert says three incoming storms could wreak

ACADEMICS AND authorities are confident that this year’s flood situation would not be a repeat of the disastrous major floods of 2011, even as many provinces continued to be inundated and dams are at peak capacity.

Three key experts – the Royal Irrigation Department (RID), the Meteorological Department, and Sitang Pilailar from Water Resource Engineering Department at Kasetsart University – yesterday reassured people that the nation is not about to experience the extremes of 2011. 

Authorities have already prepared a flood mitigation plan, they said, and the water situation this year is totally different from 2011.

They spoke after prominent water expert Seree Supharatid warned that the flood situation this year would reach the same severity as the major flood of 2011, because three more storms are heading to Thailand to intensify the current flood situation and water retention measures are already at capacity.

RID director-general Somkiat Prajamwong also assured the public that this year’s flood situation will not be a repeat of 2011 and urged people not to panic.

The RID had already prepared flood mitigation plans and was working with relevant agencies, including the Meteorological Department, to keep updated in real-time and plan flood mitigation measures.

“The water situation right now is under control and people should not be too worried about this year’s flood,” Somkiat said.

The RID has been working closely with all relevant agencies to make sure that the flood situation remains under control, he said, and the department is also better prepared compared to 2011.

148cfb2636058073a29756c88178f27c.jpg

“The RID has allocated water retention areas on both sides of the Chao Phraya River, and we are also equipped with more water management tools and better information on the water situation and weather compared to 2011, so this year’s flood will not be as severe,” said Somkiat.

In 2011, all four major dams in the Chao Phraya River Basin were full with water, but this year only Khaew Noi Bamrung Dan Dam and Pasak Jolasid Dam that were full, while Bhumibol Dam and Sirikit Dam have room to store more water, he said. 

a1ddbff5648a00e99343c4294cff2787.jpg

Somkiat also pointed to RID’s preparation for an unexpected storm. The department has lowered water levels in the reservoirs, for example. Confident in the amount of remaining room for future water, authorities have now stopped discharging water from Bhumibol Dam and Sirikit Dam to reduce the amount of water flowing into the Chao Phraya River Basin and relieve downstream flooding. 

Sitang also sees major differences between this year’s floods and 2011.

There are indications of additional storms heading toward Thailand, he conceded, “but we should be prepared, not panic”, she said. 

The Meteorological Department is convinced that “the situation will not be as bad as Seree thinks,” she added.

fb5c58fdf90e554fd4ba578f5119af0f.jpg

Local residents wade through floodwaters in front of Wat Suwanpradit as they move belongings to higher ground away from flash floods that hit at least five tambons in Chiang Mai’s Hang Dong district yesterday.

Moreover, Sitang said the current water levels and weather patterns are in line with historical trends and Thailand is receiving the normal amount of precipitation. In contrast, 2011 had heavier rainfall.

The Meteorological Department has issued a statement explaining that from yesterday to this coming Saturday there will be no storms in the Andaman Sea. From Sunday to next Tuesday, a tropical storm would approach North Vietnam. But a high-pressure influence from China would lessen the storm’s power and the storm would not affect Thailand directly.

Nevertheless, many provinces in Thailand were suffering from floods, especially provinces in the Chao Phraya River Basin and the Chi River Basin.

According to RID, there were flood reports in Chiang Mai, Payao, Yasothon, Roi Et, Chaiyaphum, Sisaket, Maha Sarakham, Ubon Ratchathani, Phetchabun, Chainat, Sing Buri, Ang Thong, and Ayutthaya.

In Chiang Mai, tourists and residents had to flee to higher ground as the Lanna Resort and homes in Tambon Ban Pong in Chiang Mai’s Hang Dong district were hit by flash flooding from forest runoff early yesterday morning.

e5939c29051fd5c9e0661a5f40b0c195.jpg

People woke at 4am amid flooding from the Mae Tha Chang River, which was swollen from runoff from the upstream Samoeng district, hitting five Hang Dong subdistricts, with Nong Kwai and Nam Phrae particularly affected. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30329156

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-10-13

20 minutes ago, DoctorG said:

I would rather hear from the people on the ground (or in this case, those getting wet). Any of our members experiencing this first hand?

2011, the tide mark on the blue house is the flood level, river level is about normal.

2011.jpg

5 minutes ago, ok the house is now green.

20171013_081054.jpg

The level has actually gone down about 8" since yesterday, but the area is tidal so there's always variation.

The blue/green house is here 14.054760, 100.551618

Most of the village are boating around and have been for some time.

30 minutes ago, DoctorG said:

I would rather hear from the people on the ground (or in this case, those getting wet). Any of our members experiencing this first hand?

Doc, my wife and I live just outside Ayutthaya. Our home is 2 metres off the the ground and this time in 2011, we had moved to Bangkok. There was a foot of water in our home. Currently, the canal near our home has still got about 2 feet to go before the water flows over its bank. So we will see how much flows down from the north, but I don't believe it will be as serious as 2011 [maybe, same as 2010 though].

Will keep you posted.

Thats just it no one knows what tomorrow will bring.

Yesterday windguru said zero rain in phuket. It rained all day non stop. Today it sais rain all day its not raining .

So for these bozos to say its not flooding is like saying god saves those who save themselves.

" Sitang also sees major differences between this year’s floods and 2011.

There are indications of additional storms heading toward Thailand, he conceded, “but we should be prepared, not panic”, she said. "

If I remember correctly in mid-October 2011 the rain had effectively stopped even though there was still a drainage problem whereas right now it doesn't seem to be any sign of this rain slowing down or ceasing altogether. When you see the weather maps for Southeast Asia there are huge blobs of blue extending all the way from India over the Bay of Bengal and as far east as Vietnam.

2 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

So it wont be as bad as in 2011, but how close will it get?

Once your house is under water it doesnt matter anymore if it 5cm or a meter under water, nor does it matter it was worse 6 years ago.

thais so often think in such relative terms rather than in absolute terms;

your point is spot on, who cares if the flooding is compared to 2011; the point is: 'is it bad?'

Once your house is under water it doesnt matter anymore if it 5cm or a meter under water, nor does it matter it was worse 6 years ago.

Don't be so sure of that I lived through 2011 and it does matter a lot 5 cm or a meter, we had in the end 20-25 cm in the house and more then a meter in the streets. We could still live in the house... but with a meter in the house you can't anymore. Because then the streets would not be walk-able anymore.

I also don't see a repeat of 2011 in 2011 around this time we were building dykes with sandbags around our area of BKK (nothaburi actually). There were large parts already flooded at this time where we lived. Now no sign of it at all. So yea I am confident it won't be a repeat of 2011. In 2011 it was a lot worse then now, this time they managed the dams better that helps a lot.

Still Prayut and YL have been sleeping on the job as not that much has been done since the 2011 disaster. I still see the same places facing risks no real permanent solutions for known risk area's. I know you can't prevent flooding especially in some area's its just not economically feasible to prevent flooding. (real low lying area's) 

I like Prayut his plan for an extra canal near Ayuttaya as anything that helps the speed of draining the water from the north back to the sea is a good thing. However its now just a plan and who knows who will cancel that plan once the junta is gone. That is the big problem here.. plans are often cancelled when a goverment changes (or governments don't care about long term as it wont buy them votes). Things like dams take years of planning often much more time then one goverment is in power and its not instant gratification for the voters like the rice program so there is not that much reason for governments to do something because it won't help their popularity.

I wish Prayut put the plans for the dams in article 44 or something like that making sure that when he leaves power these plans get completed. Because something needs to be done about flooding and not much action has been taken in the past. So I doubt that a new goverment will make it a priority (for the reasons i mentioned before). 

It's like the difference in  just being a little bit pregnant, or too late for another abortion. 

4 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

No it won’t be as bad as 2011, maybe worst???....:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Yes, I agree (because I am forced to by government ruling); factually though go and fly a kite - tell a rice farmer in the Central plains that the floods were not as bad as four and six years ago. 

Last time he sat on the roof of his (unpaid, as on finance) house and saw his (unpaid, on finance) TV swimming by; the time before that it was the (unpaid, on finance) fridge swimming past him. 

Go figure! 

2 hours ago, wvavin said:

"Floods not as bad as 2011 crisis" - I could not imagine what is their level of stupidity by giving such comment!

I think that flooding this year , although bad is only in some areas.

Where I live in Nakhon Sawan at this time in 2011 there was 2 metres of water on the road, this year is completely dry up to now. So I do think that things are not as bad as 2011, only for some areas.

Three key experts – the Royal Irrigation Department (RID), the Meteorological Department, and Sitang Pilailar from Water Resource Engineering Department at Kasetsart University – yesterday reassured people that the nation is not about to experience the extremes of 2011. 

I stopped reading after "key"

I always have this gut feeling that when academics and "authorities" speak as if something is to happen you can be almost certain the contrary will occur.

There is another monsoon depression approaching Vietnam travelling west and while the experts might wishfully think it might stop at the border of Vietnam there is sure to be some carry-over into Thailand. Here is the latest Thailand weather warning.

https://www.tmd.go.th/en/thailand.php

During 13 - 14 Oct, the high-pressure system still extends to upper Laos and Vietnam while the monsoon trough lies across the lower Central and the upper South. The southwest monsoon still prevails over the Andaman Sea and the upper Gulf. Outbreaks of rain spell continues over the country with isolated heavy downpours. During 15 - 19 Oct, the monsoon trough will lie across the lower North, the upper Central, and the Northeast while the southwest monsoon across the Andaman Sea and the upper Gulf will strengthen. Continuous rain and isolated heavy downpours remain. Tropical cyclone KHANUN in the middle South China Sea is forecast to move near Hainan, China and upper Vietnam. The storm is forecast to decline quickly after making landfall over upper Vietnam since the high-pressure system still covers that area including upper Laos. No direct impact is expected on Thailand in a few days. All travellers should stay tuned for the weather update. 

Cautions 

During 15 - 19 Oct, people in the Northeast and the Central the East, the South including Bangkok and its vicinity should beware of possible flash floods, drainage floods and gusty winds.

1 hour ago, Jonnapat said:

I think that flooding this year , although bad is only in some areas.

Where I live in Nakhon Sawan at this time in 2011 there was 2 metres of water on the road, this year is completely dry up to now. So I do think that things are not as bad as 2011, only for some areas.

Same here its not as bad as in 2011... its far from as bad in 2011... everyone with half a brain accepts that. In 2011 around this time the water was creeping up on us. No signs now what so ever als in 2011.. now was the time they started to release all the water from the dams, now there is still spare capacity in the big dams. 

Totally different situation, sure people are flooded but the scale is totally different. 

5 hours ago, Crossy said:

The level has actually gone down about 8" since yesterday, but the area is tidal so there's always variation.

We are at the peak of the tide (roughly), level is around the same as yesterday, we shall see what tomorrow brings.

This lot is coming our way :sad:

6 hours ago, Get Real said:

I can see at the first photo that one thing clearly never change. 3 people working and 5 looking.

The 5 are managers, they must watch that the 3 that are working don't make mistakes.

BTW. I've counted 6, one manager is sitting on the edge of the flood wall, probably testing the stability and strength.

Edited by PAIBKK

15 hours ago, webfact said:

“The water situation right now is under control and people should not be too worried about this year’s flood,” Somkiat said.

I guess Somkiat is not a victim of any flooding, with that smug comment :post-4641-1156693976: Dipstick.