Does Anyone know

lensta

Does anyone know if it is compulsory for businesses to close on the 26th October or is up to the individual businesses themselves. Nobody seems to have a definitive  answer and there is confusion as usual. If anyone knows 100% for sure please post. If you are just guessing, please keep it to yourself.

As things stand today there has been no official government notice 

requiring any businesses to close on the 26th but as a mark of respect 

My wife, and I suspect many Thais, will be closing her/their business

on the 26th to honour the memory of the late King.

Some businesses where we are have closed today to mark the anniversary

of his death.

So as they say in Thailand up to you.

Edited by phuketjock
addition

1 hour ago, brommers said:

It is mandatory for bars to choose and liquor stores not to sell alcohol on the 26th. Otherwise it is discretionary.

What are you trying to say?

The sale of alcohol is banned everywhere on the 26th. Bars and liquor stores included, Nothing discretionary about it.

Why would anybody want to keep any non essential business open on that day? Regardless of whether or not it is forbidden to open it would seem hugely disrespectful not to close IMO.

I can assure you 7-11s and other convenience stores will be open, as are some shopping malls. Life goes on!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

100% sure,,,,,,, keep it to yourself,,, obviously a newbie here in Thailand... No such thing as definitive here If you sell alcohol in your business, it would be against the law to open or sell alcohol Outside of that it will depend on the degree of respect you are outwardly going to show or time off for your staff to say their farewells to their wonderful  Late King

I've got a snooker hall. Went to see the police at the Amphur. Quote 'as long as you keep it quiet and there is no alcohol on the tables you'll be alright'. Staff wearing suitable clothing, no music etc etc.

Common sense really !

6 hours ago, lensta said:

If anyone knows 100% for sure please post. If you are just guessing, please keep it to yourself.

Just out of curiosity, when you added this caveat, did you really expect TV posters to (a) know for sure or (b) keep their guesses to themselves?

2 hours ago, natway09 said:

100% sure,,,,,,, keep it to yourself,,, obviously a newbie here in Thailand... No such thing as definitive here

If you sell alcohol in your business, it would be against the law to open or sell alcohol

Outside of that it will depend on the degree of respect you are outwardly going to show or time off

for your staff to say their farewells to their wonderful  Late King

"obviously a newbie here in Thailand" Yeah I am a newbie, only lived here since 2005. Anyway. thanks to the people that actually posted an answer to my question.